Personality Cafe banner

Who do you differ most from?

• Type obtained using Method 1 (all letters different)

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • Type obtained using Method 2 (first 3 letters different)

Votes: 21 50.0%
  • Type obtained using Method 3 (1st and 4th letter different)

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Type obtained using Method 4 (1st, 2nd, and 4th letter different)

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 3 7.1%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought of a few different approaches (I'll just start from INTP for example and try to find our opposites cause we're cool)

Method 1 - The inversion approach
Take the opposite letters for all 4 traits. For INTP this would be ESFJ. Those who follow the Jungian functions more closely may agree that the inversion isn't the furthest apart because it just reverses the function order. Is Fe/Si/Ne/Ti really the furthest apart from Ti/Ne/Si/Fe?

Method 2 - Different axes approach (judging focus)
The easy way to do this is taking the opposite letters for the first 3 traits. For INTP this would be ESFP. The reason I call this the axis approach (judging focus) is because the judging function (T vs F) is opposite while using two different axes. There's two ways to invert the Ti/Fe axis with different functions - Fi/Te and Te/Fi. The former way flips the judging functions. So is Fi/Se/Ni/Te the furthest from Ti/Ne/Si/Fe?

Method 3 - Different axes approach (perceiving focus)
The easy way to do this is taking opposite letters for the 1st and 4th trait. For INTP this would be ENTJ. This is using the other way to invert the axis, so Ti/Fe is inverted to Te/Fi. This switches the perceiving method to judging but keeps the judging method as thinking. So is Te/Ni/Se/Fi the furthest from Ti/Ne/Si/Fe?

Method 4 - Flipping perceiving method, different judging axis
The easy way to do this is taking opposite letters for the 1st, 2nd, and 4th traits. For INTP this would be ESTJ. Ne/Si are reversed to Si/Ne, and that leaves Te/Fi because the judging axis must have different functions. So is Te/Si/Fe/Ni the furthest from Ti/Ne/Si/Fe?

Personally, I feel the furthest from ESFJ and feel like they are the furthest from my INTP self in a whole different world, even though they supposedly share all the same functions.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
It's simplistic, but what seems to be true in real life is flipping the letters (method 1). I think it's because I notice the dom and aux functions much more than the tertiary or inferior ones. This means that my opposite (INFP, Fi-Ne) is the ESTJ (Te-Si). While I know that I have Si and Te, and the ESTJ has Ne and Fi, they aren't really often obvious.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
656 Posts
In Socionics the least compatible, most opposite pairings are the first three MBTI letters flipped which is called a conflictor relationship. I need some more real world experience in this, but in my experience it seems to be true.

All four MBTI letters flipped, in Socionics, is your duality relationship which is supposedly a good relationship.

Here's a video on it if you're interested:

In Socionics, for introverted types, you flip the last letter to get the MBTI type. So a INTj in Socionics is actually a INTP in MBTI. The extroverted types stay the same though i.e. a ESFp in Socionics is ESFP in MBTI.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Well I feel like an atypical INFP in some ways, typical in some ways. ESTJ and ESFJ would probably be equally different for me, I feel, especially since ESTJ has Fi at least. ENFJ is definitely closer to INFP than those other two. ESTP? Totally different functions, so probably at least a rival to ESTJ and ESFJ.

·
Registered
INTJ 5w4 Sx/Sp
2,387 Posts
Method 2. I sometimes feel like me and my ESFJ mother are from different planes of existence.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Method 1 (so ESFP for me), but some opposite aspects can be complementary, plus J-J clashes are the pits. I suspect the type I'd have the most trouble living with would be ESTJ (with ESFJ as the runner-up).

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
One cool thing to me with MBTI is that no one is ever an opposite. Sure, ESTJs and INFJs share no functions, and even no temperament, but they're both actually Judgers, both direct. ISFP and ENTJ may seem like total opposites, but in reality they can be very similar when they get down to balance or unhealthy use of functions. I don't know, I like seeing that we aren't as different as we like to believe we all are.

That said, I think that the most different would be
ENTP and ISFP
ESFP and INTP
INFP and ESTP
ENFP and ISTP
ENFJ and ISTJ
INFJ and ESTJ
ESFJ and INTJ
ISFJ and ENTJ

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Method 4 just because I've never met an ISFJ so method 1 won't work, I have a friend who is ISFP and even though we are very different, there are still some similarities (for example, we're both artistic). I don't agree with the third method either because I doubt I would ever feel like I'm that different from a fellow NT.

Fourth was definitely the best one, I like some ISTJs I've met but I can absolutely not relate to them in any way.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Come to think of it, while I think 1st is more different, 4th is harder to relate to. There's something about ESTJs that despite being a "thinking" type their method of thinking is so different from mine, and we're more likely to butt heads. I feel like ESFJs are easier to get along with even if we're on different planets.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Method 4 just because I've never met an ISFJ so method 1 won't work, I have a friend who is ISFP and even though we are very different, there are still some similarities (for example, we're both artistic). I don't agree with the third method either because I doubt I would ever feel like I'm that different from a fellow NT.

Fourth was definitely the best one, I like some ISTJs I've met but I can absolutely not relate to them in any way.
Totally agree, to me all the xSTJs are the most difficult ones to relate to. And I guess they think the same about me

Reactions: dracula

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Totally agree, to me all the xSTJs are the most difficult ones to relate to. And I guess they think the same about me
Oh, I completely forgot about ESTJs. They might be even more difficult for me to take than ISTJs as I have met nice introverted STJs but most of my experience on ESTJs has been quite unpleasant.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Yeah, definitely ISFP. At least with ISFJs I can usually see where they're coming from as we share the same functions. ISFJs get a lot of hate but I find them to be very sweet, down to Earth people. Fi in general is just kind of an enigma to me, and strong Fi users just come off too activist and hippy-like, and we just tend to butt heads. ISFPs in particular are way too driven by emotion and "good vibes", something I don't relate to at all. Somehow they all just happen to be professional photographers too it seems.

If I had to pick a second type it would be ESTJs. However, ESTJs only bug me when they are above me in a hierarchical sense (boss, parent, authority figure, etc). I have a very good friend who's an ESTJ and I can pry out his goofy Ne side and make him less serious.

·
Registered
656 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
The profile I fit the best is INFJ, and people that I don't get along with are ISTJ and ESFP, mostly. I hardly can find anything in common to talk to them actually, plus they (usually) follow groups or rules, instead of being independent-thinkers (like many NT's) or following their own values (like NF's)

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
The profile I fit the best is INFJ, and people that I don't get along with are ISTJ and ESFP, mostly. I hardly can find anything in common to talk to them actually, plus they (usually) follow groups or rules, instead of being independent-thinkers (like many NT's) or following their own values (like NF's)
There's a lot I could say about this post, but I'll skip that for the sake of staying to the subject. Just one thing I want to say. The question is which type is most different than your own, not which type you don't get along with.

Reactions: Highway Nights

·
Registered
951 Posts
Switching the first three letters, keeping the P/J axis. I definitely find the ESTP's to be the most difficult to understand and take the most effort to get along with, as an INFP, followed by ISTP. ESTJ's on the other hand I find are a good compliment to my personality, I get on well with them.

As a Method 5:
You could alternatively take a Keirsey approach. Swap each of Abstract/Concrete, Co-operative/Utilitarian, Directive/Informative, Expressive/Attentive. That would also give ESTP as an opposite for INFP, but not correlating with the same letter swaps for all types (it would be ESFP for INFJ, I think).

And of course socionics says a lot about this.

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
One cool thing to me with MBTI is that no one is ever an opposite. Sure, ESTJs and INFJs share no functions, and even no temperament, but they're both actually Judgers, both direct. ISFP and ENTJ may seem like total opposites, but in reality they can be very similar when they get down to balance or unhealthy use of functions. I don't know, I like seeing that we aren't as different as we like to believe we all are.
I completely agree. I always loved that, too.

Reactions: Pressed Flowers

·
Registered
110 Posts
There's a lot I could say about this post, but I'll skip that for the sake of staying to the subject. Just one thing I want to say. The question is which type is most different than your own, not which type you don't get along with.
Sorry, I meant I don't usually get along with many of them because they are so different , mainly in the aspects I said.
Can you elaborate on your criticism? I am new in this typing thing so any new information is appreciated :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.