Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering, like animals, each of them has their own routines, which eventually spins the ecosystem, but what do we humans do, if we had to do only what we are meant to do, at our bare minimum, if you strip all our curiosities and technologies, science, etc away. I don't think any other species want "more" than what they already do, also maybe just because they can't or events has not let certain species go higher up the food chain.

What are we meant to do other than multiply?
Do we, because we have a more superior brain, need to take care (instead of torturing and eating) of the other species on this planet? Like a shepherd or something.

I can ask the question "what is our purpose" but I think the question I ask might be a bit specified, just wondering what our basic functions would be if any, or are we bound to keep discovering new things?

This could be a brainfart but sometimes I wonder about things.

Reactions: attic

·
5,132 Posts
Interesting question... you mean what we are meant to do in the frame of the ecosystem? (because I think the answer would be different if thinking more from the point of view of our lives or philosophically for example)

I think I need to think about that for a while. But a few ideas that popped up in my head was that we might be a bit like the joker (in stories, mythologies etc), the disruptive force that sets things in motion. I came to think of this quarry I visited once. And first one might think that a quarry is making a big damage on an idyllic place in nature. It was by the sea, bare cliffs that ha been evened out by sea and rain over so many years. But when I visisted it had been decades since they stopped using it, and nature had ever so slowly started to heal the place, and where the cliffs before was bare an almost dead except for some lichen and similar, the quarry had made holes and high cliffs, and the holes became sweatwater ponds, and birds liked to perch on the cliffs. The unevenness of the quarry made debris stay and eventually plants started to grow in it. So it was richer than it had been before, in my eyes, a beautiful place.
I also came to think of a forest near me, where the city's naturecarers had found a very rare flower, one that grows where the soil has been upset (like when a hord of dear walked around or wild pigs dug around), so they asked local... motorbike people who rides in the forest, whatever that might be called, to come and drive around in the area where the flowers could be found, messing up the soil, so that the flower would grow.

We also move, and move things around. Perhaps more than wanted at the moment, with so many people moving so fast with planes, and so many goods being shipped. But in smaller scales I think that could be something we contribute, to bring a seed to a new place. (or a virus...)

Right now I think we do need to be a bit of the shepherds though, we are so many and have done so much damage already, so we can't back out of responsibility now.

Those are if I try to be optimistic, draw things in brighter shades. But I could also see it as though we are just destroyers, a sad event, like the huge volcanoeruptions or meteorite that wreaked havoc with life on earth, like when the dinosaurs died.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"the disruptive force " I like that.
I think it's also a responsibility question, are we responsible cause we have the ability to feel responsibility and even so are we willing to take action. And I think there are shepherds enough but just not in line with each other or just plain incompetent.

But yeah we are chaotic

·
Registered
INTP
4,230 Posts
I've wondered similar things. I'm of the belief that nothing is "meant." Things just happen, and if a species with eyes, ears, spinal column, etc., survives, then it survives and that's all. So we have an appendix that doesn't serve any "purpose," but that's okay because the species lives on.

We are animals, but because of whatever blip, we have emotions, morals, the capacity to care about the future, and so on. Often we feel we are meant to live a certain way, but that's an individual thing (or political or cultural or whatever).

But I don't think there's a god or another force saying animals are supposed to multiply. They just do. So the species lives on through time and feeds/feeds on/interacts with other species.

We might think it's beautiful or wonderful, and it is, but it's also ugly and horrible. It doesn't mean anything. As an acquaintance of mine put it, "We're just a germ that got out of hand."

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The "whatever blip" is what i'm looking for
I also don't think there is any force leading us, but I kinda expect us to watch out over the other species. We should be that force for them shouldn't we. I only feel pressured to live a certain way just because society's standards, but luckily I'm past that and can adjust a bit.
But indeed we're just a germ that got out of hand haha

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
We aren't "meant" to do anything. I see no reason to think that there is any direction to nature other than whatever direction spontaneously arises as a result of everything's struggle to survive.

·
Registered
INTP
4,230 Posts
I don't fully understand the blips either. But for example, I read that emotions arose because of mobility (animals with legs, etc.). I guess that means you go in this direction or that because it feels good. Depending on what kind of brain you have, you might remember past feelings and plan future experiences.

So mobility happened by accident, emotions also happened by accident, and they helped us (animals) manage our mobility, survive, and pass on our genes. So now we humans (and perhaps other animals) have complex emotions and put a separate value on them.

So some of us care about animal rights and so on, while others don't. As a result, we have culture, politics, debate, jails and memes for activists who go "too far," and other human pursuits to keep us busy.

·
Registered
ENFP
4,207 Posts
In my alternative reality, I was hoping the answer would be spiritual evolution?? But that's mere fantasy. It could be a possible reality, but I don't think collectively as a whole, we're there, yet. A utopian society could exist, and even though life's not perfect, it doesn't always have to be so extreme that everyone has to struggle to survive, and only a select few get to relish in watching others suffer. And on top of that, our own natural inclinations can be such a paradox sometimes, it's almost as though there's no escaping this odd creation. Enjoy the ride, regardless.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I think the answer is subjective; everyone will answer differently. I really like that interpretation of the mayan calendar. It basically divides times into different echelons. I don't remember all of them. But you know; micro-biome to multi-cellular to intelligent life to society to etc. I think a progression of evolution in biology and intelligence is the overarching theme in the universe. From basic elements to advanced societies. That trend will continue, most likely, regardless of whether the human race meets the Fermi Paradox or not. One might ask what the purpose of that progression is, and I think it's basically the universe becoming self-aware. With intelligent life the universe is able to observe all of the earlier stages, such as the formation of stars and galaxies, and so with each advance in the evolution of consciousness, the universe becomes more self-aware.

That's my belief in the meaning of life and the universe; but it is egotistical to think that humans are the only entity important in the grand scheme of things, as Carl Sagan mentioned.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
What do you mean by we?

Some people don't breed, so they are not meant to. Species are just a consensus, and so is mankind. If species were really determinated by their strategy of survival, mankind would be a crossroad of many species. Not red black or white, but neurochemical. A part of them are meant to multiply and consume everything. That part is not supposed to be assisted by the technological product of high creativity, because creativity is a whole other strategy of survival. That means mankind is about to split apart. The highly creative don't even want to breed with the highly procreative, so pretending both are still a same species is just cherry picking common traits without seizing the actual situation: some human species have already stopped interacting genetically with each other, which is only blurred by the inertia of the hesitant. An illusion... Mankind is just a crossroad.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I was wondering, like animals, each of them has their own routines, which eventually spins the ecosystem, but what do we humans do, if we had to do only what we are meant to do, at our bare minimum, if you strip all our curiosities and technologies, science, etc away. I don't think any other species want "more" than what they already do, also maybe just because they can't or events has not let certain species go higher up the food chain.

Do we, because we have a more superior brain, need to take care (instead of torturing and eating) of the other species on this planet? Like a shepherd or something.

I can ask the question "what is our purpose" but I think the question I ask might be a bit specified, just wondering what our basic functions would be if any, or are we bound to keep discovering new things?

Humans are different, even from mamals. Not only due to their intelligence, maybe all of this is a consequence of intelligence but it still makes us different in these regards. Humans are the only animals that know they will die. No other animal knows he will die. He understands morality as a concept, but doesn't think about the implications of what it makes for that to happen to them, it's merely survival instinct to defend themselves and their offsprings and that's it.

The human on the other hand knows that at some point he will die. Ironic, isn't it? Is like a box suddenly realising it's a box.

I could go on talking about the artistic expressions we've made through the century, due to creativity. About some people sacrificing their lives, either out of a genuine desire for help or a genuine desire for glory. Maybe both are good as long as they help humanity.

I could also point out that the human is the only animal who doesn't hunt for food. We reached the point where we can hunt for fun, as a sport. We even have serial criminals who kill for fun, as a sport.

We are so different from the other animals, in such profound ways, that I don't think we are only meant to multiply. Maybe there's no inherent purpose, but only living a life to multiply won't give us satisfaction, that's what I mean by that.

A lot of people want to live a delightful life, to have fun in life, to see the world, or maybe they want to advance the world of science, because they found a passion in that and genuinely want to satisfy their own curiosity. Already the human is a completly different type of animal, we do have the self-preservation instinct to defend ourselves and our offsprings like all other animals, but we also have so much more, for better or worse.

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
I thought I already explained this in another thread. It's confusing when you do not reply with agree or disagree (and why).

In asking this question, it is clear that the very nature of the universe is unknown to you.

The purpose of the universe is increasing moral agency. That is wider and wider range of choices, still balanced on the fulcrum of now, between order, the past, and chaos, the future. There is nothing else going on here. All of that is defined by the system we call LOVE.

The real goal then is to increase the scope of choices such that moral agents have the chance, the possibility to choose the GOOD. In order to make that possible, we each must suffer the burden of free will. This means as high as our GOOD goes, our evil MUST also be risked. So, your question about what animals do or do not do has an obvious answer. Humans can conceive of and do much greater GOOD, so they also can conceive of and do much greater evil. That is all.

Moral duty is the responsibility of all moral agents. A moral agent is literally any and every particle in the universe. Everything is alive and choosing. Humans are only the highest moral agents that we know of.

We MUST pursue the GOOD for happiness. If we decide not to, we (and others) suffer for the degree of misalignment of our choices from the GOOD.

The short answer is yes. The long answer is that all moral agents that precede the existing height in the chain partially bear responsibility to support the higher expressions. This is the same concept as a stem and a leaf supporting a flower. This sacrifice can be done PROPERLY, morally, or improperly, immorally.

Eating for sustenance is NOT immoral. The vegans are INCORRECT and obviously so. If it is immoral to take life to survive, then plants are off the menu as well. Drawing an arbitrary line is ridiculous and has no relationship to truth.

It is a tautology that we are not perfect and never will be. Thus, our aiming at perfection is eternal. So the short answer is YES, there will always be more to do amid moral duty.

It is NOT a brain fart. You are struggling to put down Nihilism within yourself. Nihilism is a fear response to the awe of facing all the meaning of love. It teases the self into the proposition that life is meaningless. That is immoral fear.

Reactions: Namsayin

·
Registered
373 Posts
That's an interesting question. I have asked that question to myself for a while, however, I cannot say that I have really understood the purpose so far. Anyways here is my current thought. Yes, humans like all other species have a basic need to breed and increase their population. At least during early stages of our evolution. Due to our intelligence we became so adept at hunting, farming that it caused ecological imbalance. However, again due to intelligence we realized that the very imbalance we cause would hinder our survival in the long run, the intelligence also made us seek new knowledge to increase our survival. This so called knowledge comes in various fields like Science, Technology and so on. And after we have reached the stage where basic survival isn't really a problem, we began to try to increase our mobility, making lives easier, enjoyment for the sake of it or so. So in short, I think that purpose of the humanity is just to improve itself over time, in all aspects(except a few which I won't go in detail) and achieve what other creatures on earth haven't achieved so far. While other animals aren't really intelligent enough to think much about cause and effect in the long term, although they are adept at short term, this hinders their ability to change their stances regarding how they survive.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I don't believe in a purpose, but I do believe that humans are inclined to try and enjoy things. For this reason, questions like "but what do we humans do, if we had to do only what we are meant to do, at our bare minimum, if you strip all our curiosities and technologies, science, etc away?" don't make sense to me.

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
Assist in humanitys eternal survival.

Reactions: Tridentus

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Assist in humanitys eternal survival.
This. I would add assist in humanity's overall wellbeing at a micro and macro level as additionals, probably because bigger picture wellbeing assists society in survival over the long-term.

This may seem like a simplistic and bleak phrasing but it's true. Why do I know that it's true?- because I, and most other people I've ever met, find greatest meaning and satisfaction in life through this resolution.

You maximise your potential, work as well as you can to contribute in a forthright manner, and you're rewarded with life satisfaction in the long term. You find your meaning in this, and you can feel it because you feel all buzzy and fulfilled after you accomplish this, and in the vice versa you know that you aren't fulfilling this because your conscience and sub-conscious punish you for it, especially increasingly as you get older.

Obviously as a kid/adolescent and even young adult you get away with this a lot because you're a "dependent" and you need help getting on your feet as a proper adult, but at a certain point it starts to hit hard. When I was 20 it didn't hit as hard when I mismanaged my responsibilities, whereas at 28 I notice it hits far harder, and I can imagine it will continue to do so further as I get older- that's the reason why people's conscientiousness tends to increase with age, just due to the necessity demanded by our own conscience to play our part.

·
Premium Member
15,242 Posts
We are not meant to do anything. I don't remember receiving instructions before birth. "Sending you to earth... do this and this...."

Once here, tho, humans assign all matter of reasons and causes to their existence on earth.

They even assign rules and regulations for others to follow.

I was born with no purpose at all, and that is why -- what I do with the time I have here, is so important. To me! To me...! Not you.

I took zero (0) and made it into one million (1,000,000).

NOT multiplying was a priority for me.

·
Registered
153 Posts
We are meant to take up the burden and responsibility of being properly human: growing, becoming wiser, cultivating virtue, and aiming towards that which is good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts