Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to re-explore a topic we've discussed before:
http://personalitycafe.com/intp-forum-thinkers/37700-does-feel-like-youre-waiting-something.html

It's difficult to explain this "waiting feeling" I experience. I'll do my best to put it into words.

I feel like there's something important I need to do in order for me to feel fulfilled. I don't know what this "important" thing is, though. I could solve all the world's problems (intellectual/social, and otherwise), bring euphoria to every person on Earth, and be the happiest man in the world, but I would still feel "empty". I feel like nothing I could ever accomplish would mean anything, and therefore am lazy and apathetic.

I'm quoting the following users from the aforementioned original thread. They do not necessarily share the other sentiments in this post. I may be using them out of context.

Sleeve Of Wizard: "What I'm talking about is a vague feeling that I'm always waiting for something big in my life to happen before I do anything big that I need to do. It's not that I can't do anything, I could very easily, but this "thing" I'm waiting for never happens. Ever."

Suckmilknebulas: "I feel like something really important is going to happen and feel like im just waiting for it."

Catastrophe: "It's a hard to describe feeling. Not premonition or being psychic, but just an overall 'sense' about something important that's going to happen."

Sliad: "The most frustrating part is just know that I can achieve this vague goal. I also know I need to get of my arse and start doing it.It's just that I have no idea what I should be doing. "

Sarek: "I have had that feeling for most of my life. I have always known that there must be so much more yet to do for me. So much of me seemed to be merely slumbering and at some point I began to worry that it might fester and wither away and I would die of old age without anything ever happening."

I feel constant anxiety that I won't find meaning and fulfillment before I die. (Or maybe that I won't be omniscient before that time, the ultimate "5" goal.) I feel like I should stop procrastinating the elusive "important" thing I've neglected for so long.

Share your thoughts and feelings on this topic. I encourage references to the cognitive functions.

-If you as an INTP do not have this feeling, I encourage you to post your dissent.
-I acknowledge that this may not be exclusive to INTPs.

·
Banned
5,168 Posts
It's INTP laziness fighting the universal human drive to make a mark on the world. We know we have talents and want to capitalize on them, but don't want to do anywork. I don't want to do anything + I want to make it big = greatness will come to me
“Intelligence is the ability to avoid doing work, yet getting the work done” - Linus Torvalds

Anyway, I know the anxiety feeling of waiting for something. I do the best I can to make the most of my time and do what I think I should until such a time comes.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I have a feeling (strong overriding desire and goal of my entire life) of wanting to make my mark on the world, but I'm not waiting for anything, no.
Sounds kind of epic, though.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I used to experience that feeling a lot when I was younger, in my late teens, but not so much anymore. I used to, as you say, feel like I was waiting for something bigger, something more. As if there were something that would eminently occur. Even though I couldn't put my finger on, the hazy sense that something would happen was so strong I probably would have placed a bet on it.

That feeling has largely gone away in the last couple of years now (I'm 23). I've really matured in that time, and have gotten a sense of who I am and who I want to be. I've realised that finding meaning and fulfillment is entirely up to me, and nothing needs to happen outside my own mind for me to feel happy and validated.

Maybe you'll experience the same sort of thing as you get older. Or maybe you won't. I don't know if the sudden maturation thing is something most people experience or if I'm just a special (nut)case. Maybe others can weigh in?

·
Registered
406 Posts
I think it relates to the fact that INTPs are mostly "worthless" in blue-collar positions and in most entry level positions. By comparison, INTPs are overrepresented in teaching (especially at the college/university level), linguistics, law, computer science/programming, and the sciences. Making lasting impacts in those areas typically requires lots of time - especially acquiring the 'necessary' degrees.

What ends up happening is that you spend so much time trying to get to where you need to be in order to make that difference a reality that by the time you actually get there, you have lost your initial drive and found something else - or someone else beat you to it.

There's also this.

That's my perspective, anyways.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
I don't condone this type of intelligent discussion here, you might want to move this thread to the 'cognitive forum' you fucking idiot

·
Registered
552 Posts
Waiting gives us a sense of forward motion, when we might otherwise feel we are stagnant. I suppose that in a way it's probably a coping mechanism.

From another perspective, I think that the sense of waiting might be an end in itself. It gives us a sense that we aren't wasting our time, so it might be that we've found a sort of happiness and contentment where we'd last expect it.

I'll admit, I have a secret love for chaos, and the idea of unexpected change and "newness" keeps me going.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Waiting gives us a sense of forward motion, when we might otherwise feel we are stagnant. I suppose that in a way it's probably a coping mechanism.

From another perspective, I think that the sense of waiting might be an end in itself. It gives us a sense that we aren't wasting our time, so it might be that we've found a sort of happiness and contentment where we'd last expect it.

I'll admit, I have a secret love for chaos, and the idea of unexpected change and "newness" keeps me going.
Yeh, I'd agree. I think the sense of waiting is purely existential. We're lazy and as a result we aren't always consumed by work or "getting on with things"... so we feel like we're waiting for something... because a 9-5 job and a pension can't be all there is right? right?! :sad:

Perhaps our 9-5 is an endless cycle of self reflection and existential dwelling. Someones gotta do it...

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I think it relates to the fact that INTPs are mostly "worthless" in blue-collar positions and in most entry level positions. By comparison, INTPs are overrepresented in teaching (especially at the college/university level), linguistics, law, computer science/programming, and the sciences. Making lasting impacts in those areas typically requires lots of time - especially acquiring the 'necessary' degrees.

What ends up happening is that you spend so much time trying to get to where you need to be in order to make that difference a reality that by the time you actually get there, you have lost your initial drive and found something else - or someone else beat you to it.

There's also this.

That's my perspective, anyways.
Very much agreed. The only realistic profession I am really interested in is being a professor, and the only realistic job (ie, that doesn't involve becoming a famous artist or something) I am extremely excited at the thought of. It's a natural match for an INTP, who love understanding complex concepts and explaining them to others, and something I'm very talented at, but also a terrible match, because we are lazy and typically don't want to put work into getting degrees. An unfortunate catch-22.:dry:

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't condone this type of intelligent discussion here, you might want to move this thread to the 'cognitive forum' you fucking idiot
My apologies, good sir.

I would have correctly identified this sub-forum as "INTP Forum - The Thinkers who inanely chatter and advance stereotypes" if I wasn't so hasty.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
I used to experience that feeling a lot when I was younger, in my late teens, but not so much anymore. I used to, as you say, feel like I was waiting for something bigger, something more. As if there were something that would eminently occur. Even though I couldn't put my finger on, the hazy sense that something would happen was so strong I probably would have placed a bet on it.

Maybe you'll experience the same sort of thing as you get older. Or maybe you won't. I don't know if the sudden maturation thing is something most people experience or if I'm just a special (nut)case. Maybe others can weigh in?
I'm almost twice your age, and I still feel like I'm waiting for something. I also can relate to what DvIHk said about spending a lot of time working toward where one needs to be, and then losing the drive or finding something else.

Jack-of-all-trades, master of none.

Reactions: username

·
Registered
207 Posts
I feel as though I have to move forward, but am afraid of waisting my time doing something that isn't going to get me forward. So I just wait. Wait and see what the tide brings in...

Unfortunately, waiting for something isn't going to just work. What are we even waiting for anyway? As much as it is nice to think that some old wise man will find us and turn us into the hero, that day is never, really, going to come.

Oh, sure, some opportunities may arise, but is it going to be something that you really want to go?

I guess want I'm trying to say is that you are the person who should define what success is for you.

It is only recently that I have started to learn what I really enjoy. It has taken many hours of surfing the internet to find them, but those were hours well spent. I have to stop and think to my self, "what if I had done what was expected of me? Would I have learned what I consider truly valuable knowledge and wisdom?" No. I may not be far in my life, but there is a future.

It's your current self you have to change. Your past self made the promise, it's your current self that has to take the jump.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I feel like I'm waiting to know, or waiting for things to make sense so I know what to do. (it may never come.) but it's like waking up from sleep all bleary-eyed--I'm waiting for things to clear rather than going ahead and stumbling around, stubbing my toe, falling down, and hitting my head.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Answers. I feel like I'm waiting for answers. Concrete, undeniable, inarguable, delicious answers. They're all I want out of life.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
My apologies, good sir.

I would have correctly identified this sub-forum as "INTP Forum - The Thinkers who inanely chatter and advance stereotypes" if I wasn't so hasty.
you're so unique.. I can only wish to become as condescending and cheesy as you.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
In my case I know exactly what I'm waiting for, though it's the most terrible frustration to keep it a secret, and it depending on someone else doesn't help either.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
you're so unique.. I can only wish to become as condescending and cheesy as you.
Is this a personal thing? You are not new, you are an INTP, but I distinctly detect trolling.

I know I will regret this post. But I can't help it. I don't know the dynamics here yet, so everything inside my brain is sounding off alarms, "DO NOT ASK! DO NOT ENGAGE! DANGER! WARNING!" This other part of me can't help but find out what the deal is.

Jesus. I completely forgot what I was going to say about the actual thread topic. Maybe this is more interesting, at the moment....

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Reactions: zobot
1 - 20 of 26 Posts