Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be studying international relations and politics at the University of Sheffield in England. My strong subjects in high school were English, Geography and History so I chose it based on that.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I have my masters in political science. If you have any specific questions, I'd be glad to help.

I chose it because I found it interesting. I find absolutes like math and science boring. I like the shades of gray, the back and forth, the spirit of debate and eventual compromise.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I studied biology, psychology, and basic medicine. I dabbled in comp science and philosophy. I am currently looking into doing nursing but am also looking into teaching. Leaning more towards teaching now. I have an undergrad degree in bio-psychology. My strongest subjects were the sciences and math.

I studied biology and probably got into medicine because of a medical problem I went through. I wanted to understand what the heck was going on. That kept me sane through it. I always enjoyed psychology. I was reading books on behavior for as long as I can remember. I was hoping comp science was more creative than it was. Talked to my professors about it and it didnt look good. Nursing because i enjoy being an EMT. Teaching because I enjoy training others and keep being asked to do so. I think I might have a strange knack for teaching over other things. Maybe? I've been getting some positive feedback for it though. Either way I've been enjoying it.

Anyways as anyone can tell I've been jumping all over the place. :shocked: :unsure:

I promised myself I'll make a sure stand on something by June. Still gathering all the info and trying all the things right now.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I have my masters in political science. If you have any specific questions, I'd be glad to help.

I chose it because I found it interesting. I find absolutes like math and science boring. I like the shades of gray, the back and forth, the spirit of debate and eventual compromise.
Math maybe absolute but science is not. It is ever changing as new ideas, data, and technology come out. That's why I like it. That is also why my ISTJ husband thinks science it stupid because there is very few things that are definitive and usually science just makes more questions.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I got my Bachelors of Science in Geological Science and a minor in Archaeology from a university in the US in a large city. I was always good at math (though I hated it) and loved science; however, I loved literature more than anything-but didn't see much of a career with that. I was going to do biology but while I was working as a bookkeeper and sample prep at an environmental laboratory while I was in early college (my ex-boyfriend's mom owned it), I met a couple female geologists and that made me look into geology. I love that geology is not a very exact science since we work in millennia to date things and both geology and archaeology basically uses clues from now to try and piece together what is in the past. I also knew after working at a lab that I would go nuts sitting indoors measuring things and geology has me outdoors a lot and traveling (although it is mostly Podunk Little Town, USA over amazing cities). I work as an Environmental Geologist which no two projects I work on are the same so it is very diverse and having Ne-Ti is exceptionally useful for my position.

I will say, the US gets A LOT of things wrong in their education but the one thing I love about US universities (over what I understand UK universities tend to be) is the fact that most degrees are within the College of Liberal Arts which means that you get almost two years of a liberal curriculum before you really dig into your upper level degree classes. So, although I got a degree in science (where I had to take a decent amount of math and physics along with my geology and anthropology/archaeology classes), I also got to take literature classes, western civilization/history, cultural anthropology (which is actually how I got interested in archaeology), pottery and drawing, psychology, statistics, speech, etc. It made for a well rounded education and time to figure out what actually interests you so you didn't have to declare your major at 18. I took some of those classes in high school but it was a completely different and more intense level in college where you could really dig into the bones of the subject rather than it be a month or so on the subject in high school.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I am a mature age student in my second semester of a Public Health degree at an Australian University.
I have always had an interest in health, particularly nursing when I was younger.

Pyschology is another field of study that I would be interested in pursuing also.

·
Not Banned Yet
2,665 Posts
Hm.... I am currently a senior student at a Production and Management engineering Technical Univercity.
Well im not exactly satisfied since im on journey to look for my path in this life. Through the academics we learn the basics of many mechanical and electrical engeneering subjects as well as a little programming. We ve got access to a far more vast knowledge when it comes to management, production and distribution though.
Anyway i enrolled there back when i was 18 because i had no plans for life and this Univercity kind of gives many possible routes to choose from which is good for ENTPs.
But right now ive only got one goal. I need to reach the number of 15 posts.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i am not going to study atleast i'm taking gap year and than we will see, i dont really see the point when all these new employers value practice and expierence more than fucking paper with degree, anyway all the information that you get in university you can get from local library

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Physics, because I figured it'd be a good combination of challenging and interesting and relatively secure jobwise and also safely fundamental as a science. Not fundamental enough for me to not find philosophy underneath it, which sucks for me, because it drained my motivation a bit.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I did materials engineering at the postgraduate level, but it was geophysics for undergraduate studies.

Yes, it's 2 different fields, because why not.

·
Registered
93 Posts
At the moment, I'm at a crossroads. I'm just beginning college and I'm actually considering a little too many options.

The most to least likely of what I'll chose:

-I'm considering aerospace engineering, because it really interests me and I know I have strengths in math, science, technology, and conceptualizing. I love mechanics and building and reaching an end result.

-I'm considering art conservation, because of natural artistic skills and experience, attention to detail, and a a love for history. I'm considering very much to pursue this.

-I'm considering being a physical therapist. I love being kept in shape, I understand human mechanics intrinsically well and instinctively have a knack for it. I've had experience with physical therapy myself and the atmosphere and have even been offered by the very same place my family has gone to for treatment to shadow/get involved there, which is difficult to find in that particular profession.

-I'm considering language, because it works well with my mind and fascinates it. I love practical things and interaction I can use in real life. Being stuck in my head, behind a screen, or desk is like a nightmare. I'm very good at languages and am quick to pick them up. I'm just a good, quick, and enthusiastic learner if it's a skill like this I can implement almost immediately.

-I'm considering art and animation because it's always been a hobby of mine and was always praised for it since I was younger and I take serious interest in it, except that new ways of animation are unappealing to me -> 3D animation in particular. That along with the serious quality drop in story lines that are created nowadays really is what kills this option for me.

Other things I have an interest for:
-archaeology: reason -> I'm a slut for anything historical and actually handling and studying them.
-construction: reason -> I like doing and building with my hands. I like problem-solving. I like hard physical labor and require it for a steady mind and sleep schedule, which at the moment I don't have. (but I need something intellectually stimulating as well)

-And if I were to decide based on classes I did best in... that really wouldn't help. I do well in any and all of them as long as I take an interest (RIP English, if it weren't for grammar, vocabulary, and well-written literature, I would hate you. Except that I have a secret love for research papers <3). God help me.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I’m studying psychology and Spanish at Johns Hopkins University. The human mind fascinated me, it’s like one big puzzle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts