Personality Cafe banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
14,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Prior to enneagram work I'm not so sure I would be able to distinguish my thinking from my paranoid thinking. I catch it all the time now and most often, it's fairly ludicrous. So I tend to laugh at myself about it and move on.

I couldn't possibly be the only one!

current paranoid thought that comes and goes ...

omg. What if I meet someone irl, or worse, someone I already know irl , what if they know me from here ?! :unsure:

Then I remember the likelihood of that happening in reality and I move on from the thought.

Other paranoid thoughts tend to revolve around health like a hypochondriac :tongue:

how about you?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Only about health, hypochondria.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Can I say everything? It's a torture for my mind sometimes. When I finally stop being paranoid about some things, my mind finds another thing to be paranoid about. It's a non-stop circle.

It's sucks when you can be fully happy and calm about something and suddenly your mind says "But...".

·
MOTM January 2013
10,667 Posts
I wander if this is where instincts come in, I mean like you would be more paranoid about the betrayal from a partner/intimate friend if you were an SX6, it makes sense to look at it that way? If you were a SOC6, hypothetically you'd be paranoid about a loss of allies or the instability of say, an in-cohesive societal structure, one where it is socially threatened. And for SP6, the paranoia of your sense of personal security is threatened would leave you feeling pretty edgy and unsure. Somehow, this is all a bit simplistic, it's like looking at the crack within the crack only to realise you are probably entering tunnel vision. Hah! It is simplistic though because strength and bravery are the shadow of the 6 and wander actually if paranoia is the thought distortion of the phobic 6. I know when I take the leap of strength, I'm not actually paranoid, at least not as much when plunging ahead despite the risks, it's as if you get the fearful feeling but shut it out anyway, you don't have time to be entertaining those thoughts that play in your mind.

So anyway, don't take too much of my instincts and paranoia too seriously, there might be something there and just noticed a little pattern between the two worth fleshing out a bit more for the sake of. Im an SP6 and although find the term paranoia can be misleading, in the context of it making you worry about hazards and future concerns, the domain id say I'm most jittery about is of course, my basic survival, making sure that I am safe. There is an element of self only concern with SP, if it came down to eat or be eaten out in the wild, I'm going to make sure I think well in advance and give myself the best chance of making sure I stay alive. Bit of an extreme example probably. One for the real world would be that I don't lend money too easily, I make sure I'm okay and stable financially before I can help others. And my SP stuff is very pronounced. Im paranoid days in advance of everything survival based to give an idea.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I do not think I have paranoia (if you see it it the sixth-ish sense), but full blown-anxiety about the future such as being sick, poor, not being able to care about myself, being dependent on others that are not quite sympathetic people (even if they are, that is always short lived), being alone (in the sense of a support and in the sense of not having someone to love), not having a choice but be a prisoner of my own situation, growing old and not being self-actualized. If I was a sp, I would take much better care of myself.

Reactions: mushr00m

·
MOTM January 2013
10,667 Posts
I do not think I have paranoia (if you see it it the sixth-ish sense), but full blown-anxiety about the future such as being sick, poor, not being able to care about myself, being dependent on others that are not quite sympathetic people (even if they are, that is always short lived), being alone (in the sense of a support and in the sense of not having someone to love), not having a choice but be a prisoner of my own situation, growing old and not being self-actualized. If I was a sp, I would take much better care of myself.
I could have probably written the same, word for word, haha! What's interesting is how many other 6's have felt stressed and hard on themselves for not being self actualised enough, even if they are highly intelligent, the passion of fear seems to bring progress to constant haults. Lots of stopping and starting, wanting to get ahead but their fear manifesting as excessive doubting in the future and themselves undermines their actual potential. As if the soul child was 3ish aswell as 9. It's like though you can see an image of happiness and self actualisation but it seems to exist only as an abstract image rather than a waiting reality. I relate painfully aswell to the wanting to find 'the person/s' who will be there for you through the bad times but worry they become more of a mother figure or something rather than a neutral guide. Its a hard balance to get. :/

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I could have probably written the same, word for word, haha! What's interesting is how many other 6's have felt stressed and hard on themselves for not being self actualised enough, even if they are highly intelligent, the passion of fear seems to bring progress to constant haults. Lots of stopping and starting, wanting to get ahead but their fear manifesting as excessive doubting in the future and themselves undermines their actual potential. As if the soul child was 3ish aswell as 9. It's like though you can see an image of happiness and self actualisation but it seems to exist only as an abstract image rather than a waiting reality. I relate painfully aswell to the wanting to find 'the person/s' who will be there for you through the bad times but worry they become more of a mother figure or something rather than a neutral guide. Its a hard balance to get. :/
You put it better than I could. Especially this "It's like though you can see an image of happiness and self actualisation but it seems to exist only as an abstract image rather than a waiting reality"
Furthermore, it is quite painful to be focused on one thing only due to fear (e.g. job, a relationship, school) or even focusing on studying/enjoying some aspects of self-development without paying attention to others.
By the way I am glad you are back to the forums :kitteh:

Reactions: mushr00m

·
MOTM January 2013
10,667 Posts
You put it better than I could. Especially this "It's like though you can see an image of happiness and self actualisation but it seems to exist only as an abstract image rather than a waiting reality"
Furthermore, it is quite painful to be focused on one thing only due to fear (e.g. job, a relationship, school) or even focusing on studying/enjoying some aspects of self-development without paying attention to others.
By the way I am glad you are back to the forums :kitteh:
It's like holding onto some imaginary security like staying in the same job for a long time for fear of making some radical change and it just keeps in you in one place for ages. I keep reading in enneagram literature, the idea is to trust in yourself and in your mind, especially when the environment collapses but often I mentally over-prepare for that which is a good and a bad thing, it just stifles things though, I guess the idea is to be more spontaneous, trust in the environment more. Be in the here and now rather than how things could end up. Yeah, I get that, when something worrying comes into your life, it becomes so consuming. It's weirder when you sense things are going wrong well ahead before others even know there's something wrong, it's like you can see it and then do the 'told you so' thing! Haha!

Good to be back, thanks! :happy: Went on a semi-hiatus for a lil while. Hope you are well, glad to see you again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.