Personality Cafe banner

21 - 40 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
I love Marjane Satrapi and all her work! You should read Chicken with Plums, I'm sure you'll love it!
I just looked it up and it's at the local library! I'll grab it next time I go. Thanks!

·
Banned
780 Posts
I have started three books this year, none have been finished. I don't know if I'll finish any. Is this common among infps?

Reactions: Somniorum

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am currently reading Villette by Charlotte Brontë. I like it so far, except it's very frustrating because most of the dialogue is in French, and I don't know any French, and my copy lacks any footnotes/translations whatsoever, so I always have to read it with Google Translator open somewhere nearby.

I have started three books this year, none have been finished. I don't know if I'll finish any. Is this common among infps?
That's a problem for me as well. I start a bunch of books and I'll like them, but I'll get busy and not be able to read a lot in one sitting, and before I know it, some new book that I want to read will have caught my eye and I'll have forgotten all about the book I was already reading. I'm hoping it won't happen with Villette. I like finishing books.

Reactions: Somniorum

·
Registered
85 Posts
Started Venus In Furs by Leopold von Sacher-Masoch like a few months ago. But my mood changed this month and I shifted to Rose Madder by Stephen King.
Currently too listless and troubled (minded) to really concentrate and read any further.
But I pick up Grimm's or Andersen's fairy tales for distraction and escape a bit occasionally.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I´m reading "The Lucifer Effect" by Philipp Zimbardo (great Non-Fiction Book about understanding the psychology of evil and why good people do bad things)

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,253 Posts
Warrior's Apprentice - by Lois Mcmaster Bujold
The Hogfather - by Terry Pratchett

·
Registered
233 Posts
Started reading the The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy last night, which I've been meaning to do for like forever!

·
Banned
59 Posts
Reading Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace, have been for like over a month, and I'm going to say stuff in this paragraph about it that I'd prefer not to know if I wasn't already reading it so if you're ever going to read it or something like that I suggest not reading the rest of this paragraph, though if you're really really curious, it isn't anything that important or anything; I mean if you read the entire paragraph and ever decide you still want to read the book, it's not like you'll not be able to enjoy it or anything, it's just me thinking that I didn't know this stuff when I started this book, and thus not being able to guarantee that the book is still awesome if you know this stuff before you start; while at the same time I really don't think it matters that much. In any case I'm over half way now, and I'm really enjoying it. I think I'm going to miss it when i finish it. Up until now it has mostly been seemingly random vignettes and then lots of fragments of stories that don't really seem to be that coherent; but at some point, around the 500th page, I stopped to think about what I had read so far and this really big image of the book's version of Boston struck me, and I realized how many things I was keeping track of, how many things were going on, and the way seeing all that felt was pretty unique. And enjoyable. I've kind of never experienced anything like that before. Since then the book has been kind of changing though. It feels like the tone suddenly got less wacky, and more sad as there was for example this fragment with one of the main characters walking around this tennis school that is kind of central to the plot, when it's late, and that scene really made me realize how much the characters had grown on me; when all of a sudden there was this scene with the brother of this said character almost getting murdered by wheelchair assassins, but luckily not, before an even more major character suddenly got shot which was really dramatic, especially since it kind of isn't that type of book where people get shot and it's really dramatic. And then there was some information that suddenly came out of nowhere that is making me think this one character is about to meet his father's ghost. It's so cool~

Then at school, if the teacher's just talking and talking and talking and talking and talking, I have this PDF of Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë that I'm reading on my computer. It's really neat. I think I secretly wish my life was a gothic romance, maybe it is, though I would probably not admit to this in person. In any case. There is this scene where the son of the guy who raised Heathcliff is drunk and assaulting their maid, and he's drunk and mad because he's been like that since his wife died when she had his son, and then he picks up said son, and accidentally drops him down from the second floor, and Heathcliff is sitting underneath there, and then he accidentally grabs the son that's falling, and then he realizes what he's done, missed a chance to really really hurt this guy who he really hates, and then he hates himself for it, and that's so awesomely dramatic I'll die or something.

But then sometimes I'm not in the mood for people, so if I have a really long space between classes I sometimes go to the library where I'm always reading something, and what I'm reading right now is Yukio Mishima's Spring Snow. I really like how any kind of prose sounds when it's translated from Japanese to English, and then from English to Norwegian. It might sound funny, but I've read several books like that, and the language is so. I don't know. Kind of flawless? There are like no extra words or funny sentences, it just flows. Maybe it's just a coincidence though. But I do like the novel a lot too. It's about this very sensitive guy from this rich family in Japan at the beginning of the last century, and then there is this girl, and so far he's been hating her, but it's supposed to be a romance story, so I'm guessing he'll change his mind somehow; and in any case it feels almost like a fantasy novel, because the world is so strange as all the characters are kind of living in this midway thing between how one lives in the West, and how one has traditionally lived in Japan with kimonos and rituals and that sort of thing with all its strange rules and customs and that sort of stuff. Which I think is fun. Not that far into it though.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Currently I'm reading Common Sense by Thomas Paine.
About the book:
"Common Sense was a series of pamphlets written by Thomas Paine. It was first published anonymously on January 10, 1776, during the American Revolution. Paine wrote it with editorial feedback from Benjamin Rush, who came up with the title. The document denounced British rule and, through its immense popularity, contributed to stimulating the American Revolution"

I'm also reading some stuff on Islam and the Re-making of the Near East.

I'm about to start reading Malcolm X at some point... and would really love a good novel although I can't decide yet where to begin. I might just wander in the library next month.

Reactions: periculosa

·
Banned
142 Posts
Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card

I've wanted to read it since I started high school but never got around to picking it up. Talk about putting things off, lol.

Reactions: Orion and Somniorum

·
Banned
2,025 Posts
The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde. A highly unique, disturbing book.

·
Registered
127 Posts
A Song of Ice and Fire: A Clash of Kings-George R. R. Martin

... Good book so far!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Oh this thread. Either/Or and A Fragment of Life by Soren Kierkegaard. Up to the Seducer's Diary part. Yes I have read it all so far.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I finished the second volume of Persepolis. I'm definitely going to look into more of Satrapi's work.
Now I'm reading a Calvin and Hobbes treasury, a book on John Lennon's music, and Feet of Clay by Terry Pratchett.

Reactions: cheezey
21 - 40 of 126 Posts