Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished reading Beneath the Wheel (Unterm Rad) by Herman Hesse, one of my favorites novelists. It's not one of his best works, but still is highly enjoyable.

"Beneath the Wheel is the story of Hans Giebenrath, a talented boy sent to a seminary in Maulbronn. However, his education is focused solely on increasing his knowledge and neglects his development as a person. His close friendship with Hermann Heilner, a less hard-working and more liberal fellow student, is a source of comfort for Hans. In the end, Heilner is expelled from the seminary and Giebenrath is sent home after his performance decreases when he shows symptoms of mental illness.

Back home, he finds coping with his situation difficult, as he has lost most of his childhood to scholastic study and thus never had time to form lasting personal relationships with anyone in his village. He is apprenticed as a blacksmith and seems to enjoy the work; it is visceral and concrete, as opposed to the intellectual abstraction of scholarly work. However, he never fully adjusts to his new situation. On a pub crawl in a neighbouring village, he and his colleagues get drunk. Giebenrath leaves the group to walk home early. Later, he is found to have drowned in a river." - according to wikipedia.

Recommended, I give it a 8/10.

Tell us if you recommend the book or not... and sorry for bad english.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
The Book of Five Rings - Miyamoto Musashi - William Scott Wilson translation.

It is one of the classic treatises and collections regarding the martial arts, particularly as an individualized Way, in Musashi's words, of attaining enlightenment. The book is short and easy to read. The translation I have is supposedly accurate to the original Japanese in spirit and should as such convey Musashi's original intent with clarity and purpose.

The content is simple enough to peruse for the layperson, but for the serious martial artist it is a book of profoundly deep wisdom, unfettered with uncertainties and embellishments. It is one of the greatest treasures for the serious martial artist and a well of knowledge and truth.

To give it a score is to give form to nothingness. There is no meaning or purpose to such a thing.

Reactions: William808

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The Ethos Effect by L.E. Modesitt Jr

Exiles Return
by Raymond E. Feist

The Alloy of Law
by Brandon Sanderson

All of three of them are excellent. Go read them. now.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
The margins of a college professor's textbook, the scribbled graffiti on a bathroom stall, the lame joke on a used popsicle stick, the smeared marker on a white board, the chalk drawing on the concrete in front of my apartment, the curled up fortune in a cookie, the shredded newspaper on a beach, the names of dead men on park benches, the step-by-step directions on the side of a Ibuprofen bottle, the sushi portion choices on a menu, the NO TRESPASSING signs in the woods, the sappy hallmark cards in the aisle of a drug store, the wrong exit signs on a black highway, the bumper stickers on the back of a battered Ford, the medals on the chest of a veteran's uniform, the silence during an uncomfortable conversation, the postcards that I collect around sewer drains, the diaries of embarrassed preteen girls, and the constellations that I forget the names of.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I just finished The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery, and now I am attempting, for a third time in three years, to finish The Book Thief, by Marcus Zusak. It's not that I don't like the book. It's fantastic. I just keep getting too busy.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I just finished reading Dante's Inferno. I expected it to take at least a couple of weeks, but I realised when I opened it that a) it was a dual-language version, so it's half the thickness I thought it was, and b) it's a fantastic read that I couldn't put down and so, finished it in a few days. It was deep, in places, but in others it was just light and humourous. Definitely recommended.

Now that I'm finished that, I really have the urge to re-read LotR. Sadly, I can't find the books on my shelf. I dunno what I'll read next.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I am on a quest to read the whole Bible so that I will be literate in the central text of Western civilization. I read a chapter of Psalms, a few pages of the Torah, and a few pages of the Gospels each day. So far the Torah seems really tribalistic and war-hungry, Psalms like glorified arrogance, and Jesus like an ascetic who thinks he can get away with pushing people into following his path with the threat of destruction.

I am also reading Thus Spoke Zarathustra in order to inoculate me against bad conscience and piety. Don't want those things to get in the way of true development.

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
Endymion by Dan Simmons

Reactions: Wolfrahm

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Hildebrandt - Real Analysis in one Variable
Martinich - A companion to analytical philosophy
Jänich - Topology

Haven´t read fiction in months.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Currently reading Naruto and Bleach. I didn't really, REALLY get into manga until about last year with FMA and for the past three months, now it seems that a bulk of what I read is manga. Although, I did finish The Picture of Dorian Gray yesterday.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts