Personality Cafe banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just remembred something when you talked about the pain. You said you were ginger, right? Did you meen that literally? Because:
Redheads feel a different kind of pain | ScienceNordic
Thanks for sharing this.

It would have been helpful for analyzing the findings if the writer(s) had given details regarding what kind of study, how many redheads were in it, short-term or longitudinal, were they on any medications, and a whole lot of other information, e.g. looking at genetic coding?

It's complex, so for instance, my maternal side (mom, grandmother, great aunts and uncles, et cetera) were all redheads from copper-top to auburn. My father's hair is black.

So me and my sibs all have nearly white skin, and some of us freckle a little while others freckle a lot.

I have auto-immune and other diseases, and when I touch snow or anything cold it's like I touched dry ice--it hurts really bad.

But I also have a 'baby tongue,' can't stand anything spicy. And if someone puts pepper or something similar (Tiger balm) on my skin, even certain sun blocks, it burns long after I have splashed cold water repeatedly on my skin; it's so bad, I had a chiropractor take his version of Tiger balm out of his office as soon as I arrived because when he applied ultra sound he'd use this spicy gel and forget I couldn't tolerate it.

(My black-haired dad didn't 'like' spicy but he didn't react to it, and he didn't have any other sensitivities either of which he was proud as though he worked for that insensitivity.)

My oldest brother, Gabe is a redhead, very freckled, doesn't eat spicy food, isn't extra susceptible to cold, so it isn't that simple.

The book, DNA Is Not Destiny by Steven J. Heine? Great read, straight-forward, engaging narrative style.

The author explains why the gene connection is so complicated, and the explanations we usually read (like that article) interesting but not very accurate.

One thing I have noted is that most of my siblings, and some nieces and nephews who are strawberry blonds with very fair skin are prone to skin eruptions which started at birth. I didn't have that problem, and it may be because the other genetic factors--those gotten from my father--augmented it for me. I don't know because, yeah, too complicated to work out--interesting to research.

I'm reading Memory: From Mind To Molecules -- and it, like the great ones I read on genetic coding -- makes it clear just how complicated it all is, and how we'll probably never break it all down, but some neuro-biologists and others are studying invertebrates and making strides in some areas--noting how various aspects of the brain control different kinds of memory, and how brain trauma from epilepsy to blunt trauma to viral infections and more...

rip out some parts of memory while leaving other parts either intact or able to be expanded or somehow reconstructed (to a point) by other areas of the brain... and some effects, unfortunately, never improve much no matter what tools are used or how much time goes by.

@Electra

Thanks so much for sharing that link!

For me, if a link triggers questions which lead me to search for or retrieve answers, it was helpful because to learn anything I'm willing to work hard; I don't expect one article or video or any other form to hand it all to me:

Something I learned early not to expect, and that's a good thing, because one source rarely delivers, and cannot deliver the whole goods. :-D

1 - 1 of 1 Posts