INTP
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
✏ I'm really tired, I can only think of one thing right now

I think about what my mind speaks while I sleep and with whom ‼
It is reasonable that he found someone who understands him
and what about me‼
Because of him and because of his conditions, I am sitting alone now

I sleep late because of his speech ball and wake up many times because of insomnia and I find that my mind has not stopped talking yet

I will try to find a way to To use his energy as an engine so it will benefit humanity a little

·
Registered
INTP
5,998 Posts
I have an appointment at 12 noon tomorrow. I usually get up pretty early (around 7 am). But I'm thinking, "What if I get up too late and miss the appointment?"

This will keep me awake tonight.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
How most countries badly dropped the ball on C19 and how the countries that didn't, continue paying the price for the others.

·
Banned
Back in the 90s I was in a very famous TV show
827 Posts
Your symbols are adorable ✁ ✏ ៚ ➴

I was wondering if there's an actual correlation between being smart and being short sighted. You know how there's this common stereotype of people using glasses and being (or appear) more intelligent, but why?

I thought that maybe it originated in the past, when intellectuals lost sight over time because they read continuously, but the truth is that the trope is still valid today and, honestly, it's not uncommon for me to meet smart people with a horrendous sight. Then I checked on Google and yes, there is a relation! (genetics, but not too investigated) And now I'm wondering how many members of PerC wear glasses...

·
Registered
INTP
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have an appointment at 12 noon tomorrow. I usually get up pretty early (around 7 am). But I'm thinking, "What if I get up too late and miss the appointment?"

This will keep me awake tonight.
Hh, so how was the date :ROFLMAO: ?

·
Registered
INTP
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your symbols are adorable ✁ ✏ ៚ ➴

I was wondering if there's an actual correlation between being smart and being short sighted. You know how there's this common stereotype of people using glasses and being (or appear) more intelligent, but why?

I thought that maybe it originated in the past, when intellectuals lost sight over time because they read continuously, but the truth is that the trope is still valid today and, honestly, it's not uncommon for me to meet smart people with a horrendous sight. Then I checked on Google and yes, there is a relation! (genetics, but not too investigated) And now I'm wondering how many members of PerC wear glasses...
It's your tact❣

Yes, I think that most smart people wear glasses because they spend their best efforts on the thing that excels, and on the other hand, I sometimes think about what we associate ugliness with wearing glasses.
Why do we tie these two together while he is
Neither of them has anything to the other‼

·
Registered
Occasionally Digitigrade
2,121 Posts
I drew a horse. Realized it looks almost exactly like a horse I drew 18 years ago.

I’m thinking about how the patterns of my mind are completely uninteresting without express effort to reshape them.

·
Banned
827 Posts
I think that most smart people wear glasses because they spend their best efforts on the thing that excels,
No, but that's what I was questioning. Many "smart people" wear glasses since they're kids, they're born short sighted. That's why you see little brainy kids with glasses✌ (it's actually cool that's now a trend, I get asked a lot if I'm wearing them for fashion and...????).

The sight problem you might develop over time as a result of reading often is hyperopia (you can't see correctly when the object is too close), not myopia (when it's distant). And many smart people are myopic since they're kids.

That's not a rule, though. I can already think of two people that are quite intellectually amusing but have no sight issues.

·
Registered
INTJ
1,321 Posts
Then I checked on Google and yes, there is a relation! (genetics, but not too investigated) And now I'm wondering how many members of PerC wear glasses...
How statistically significant it is? For the record, I do wear glasses for myopia.

·
Banned
827 Posts
How statistically significant it is? For the record, I do wear glasses for myopia.
Smart people are 30 % more likely to be short sighted, so I would say is still significant.

And less likely to suffer from hypertension, lung cancer and depression... Depression was a surprise — I've rarely met intelligent people who are not depressed (intelligent according to my view, anyway).

Is your sight outrageously bad? I don't think having a -10 is so common, but then I don't understand why wearing thick glasses was such a popular trope before to depict smart people.

·
Registered
INTJ
1,321 Posts
Smart people are 30 % more likely to be short sighted, so I would say is still significant.

And less likely to suffer from hypertension, lung cancer and depression... Depression was a surprise — I've rarely met intelligent people who are not depressed (intelligent according to my view, anyway).

Is your sight outrageously bad? I don't think having a -10 is so common, but then I don't understand why wearing thick glasses was such a popular trope before to depict smart people.
Yes, knew about the depression. Never shared the "big brain == big sad" idea anyway.
Is your sight outrageously bad?
Can't read anything on the monitor without glasses unless the distance is <= 30 cm.

·
Registered
INTP
5,998 Posts
Hh, so how was the date :ROFLMAO: ?
I got up at 4:30 am, so that part worked out. It's still only 10:30 am, and I hope I'll arrive in time. It's an appointment with the mechanic, as I'm preparing for a road trip.

I'm an old INTP genius, and my up-close vision (for reading) is still pretty good.

Depression went away at menopause.

·
Banned
827 Posts
Okay, so now I'm thinking if smarter people actually tend to be happier.

I've always thought otherwise, people who are too aware usually suffer more or feel more lonely because they're not satisfied with their companions and the world around them. It's also true if they have a high emotional intelligence level, they'll know how to manage their emotions but... doesn't come with that amount of understanding, a decent amount of frustration? Can you find a meaning after overcoming a certain level of knowledge?

I'm guessing it depends on the type of intelligence we're talking about, I don't think IQ covers it all. Some people are incredibly smart in logical-mathematical matters, but they suck at kinesthetic intelligence, for example.

*hahah, just remembered trying to teach my ex-crush to dance. Cute.

Wise people, on the other hand...

·
Registered
INTJ
1,321 Posts
Multiple-intelligence "theory" is a pseudoscientific fairy tale that confuses intelligence with skills/preferences in order to make everyone feel good about themselves regardless of IQ.
Most people treat it as a "more advanced, contemporary theory", yet this bullshit can't even define what intelligence is, it was never properly validated and only obscures the situation more by making everyone genius.

·
Registered
INTJ
1,321 Posts
Okay, so now I'm thinking if smarter people actually tend to be happier.

I've always thought otherwise, people who are too aware usually suffer more or feel more lonely because they're not satisfied with their companions and the world around them. It's also true if they have a high emotional intelligence level, they'll know how to manage their emotions but... doesn't come with that amount of understanding, a decent amount of frustration? Can you find a meaning after overcoming a certain level of knowledge?

I'm guessing it depends on the type of intelligence we're talking about, I don't think IQ covers it all. Some people are incredibly smart in logical-mathematical matters, but they suck at kinesthetic intelligence, for example.

*hahah, just remembered trying to teach my ex-crush to dance. Cute.

Wise people, on the other hand...
. doesn't come with that amount of understanding, a decent amount of frustration?
"Dumb" people can be no less frustrated from all these confusing hardships that life gives them, the world to them can be a very unpredictable, unmanageable, and just as hopeless place. Surely it may be challenging for those with high IQs to find someone on the same wavelength, but on average it is analogous to "first-world problems" in the domain of intelligence, as there is a lot of advantages and ways to cope with that.

·
Banned
827 Posts
Multiple-intelligence "theory" is a pseudoscientific fairy tale that confuses intelligence with skills/preferences in order to make everyone feel good about themselves regardless of IQ.
Most people treat it as a "more advanced, contemporary theory", yet this bullshit can't even define what intelligence is, it was never properly validated and only obscures the situation more by making everyone genius.
Clarifying: I don't have a position yet, but I have doubts.

What is intelligence to you, then? If it's not the «ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills», what is it? There's not one type of knowledge and not one set of skills. You can say solving puzzles and problem solving skills are important to measure intelligence, sure, but mental and physical coordination is important as well, and it's probably the first skill we try to develop since we're born. You still need the brain for it and, for dancing, for example, you'll probably need to rely too in sensory and spatial memory (like those 3D images you are required to build on an IQ test but with your body and with a specific pulse/rhythm exterior to you); 20/30/70 years later and some people don't develop this skill as they could. Or linguistics, musical... some people are genius in those areas alone.

I don't know much about the theory itself, I was just wondering, but simply because it's targeted as pseudoscientific... I mean, MBTI, enneagram... I still think it has a valid point. Just like you complain about the world having more geniuses, I can question why so few? According to a Western perspective that prioritizes efficiency in numerical areas, ok, but why? If my understanding is correct, I think this narrow view of what intelligence is was brought by positivism, and that's a pretty respectable perspective for efficient and material development, but not for the study of human beings. Do you not think art is a valid skill? Or cooking? To be a great chef you need to be able to recall memories by smell, tastes, and textures, and then recreate the mixtures mentally before experiencing it, sometimes creating a complete new flavor, for example. Can that be measured with an IQ?

Dumb" people can be no less frustrated from all these confusing hardships that life gives them, the world to them can be a very unpredictable, unmanageable, and just as hopeless place.
But many don't feel frustrated simply because they don't think about those hardships, they don't reflect on the future, the possible consequences of a certain action, how that would affect them or why it matters... they simply... ok, I don't know what they think about instead, but what I've seen personally in the countryside, for example, is that many don't have complex thoughts and they're happy with it. A problem comes and then it goes, just like that.

I once talked with an uncle about his calm life in the farm, for example, and I figured this. They went to bed at 8pm because they didn't have much to think about and they woke up at 5am because they didn't have much to dream about — I actually thought he was going to be offended by this observation, but he simply said “yeah, what else is there to think?”.

I think loneliness is pretty common for geniuses, or that's what it has been stated by many throughout history, unless they're in a stimulating place, as you say, that's what I've seen too from “brilliant” kids in specific institutions. But for the rest, I do think smart people might neglect their emotions often, and some may have a very high level of empathy that makes them suffer often for global problems or simply feel misunderstood.

·
Registered
INTP
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Clarifying: I don't have a position yet, but I have doubts.

What is intelligence to you, then? If it's not the «ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills», what is it? There's not one type of knowledge and not one set of skills. You can say solving puzzles and problem solving skills are important to measure intelligence, sure, but mental and physical coordination is important as well, and it's probably the first skill we try to develop since we're born. You still need the brain for it and, for dancing, for example, you'll probably need to rely too in sensory and spatial memory (like those 3D images you are required to build on an IQ test but with your body and with a specific pulse/rhythm exterior to you); 20/30/70 years later and some people don't develop this skill as they could. Or linguistics, musical... some people are genius in those areas alone.

I don't know much about the theory itself, I was just wondering, but simply because it's targeted as pseudoscientific... I mean, MBTI, enneagram... I still think it has a valid point. Just like you complain about the world having more geniuses, I can question why so few? According to a Western perspective that prioritizes efficiency in numerical areas, ok, but why? If my understanding is correct, I think this narrow view of what intelligence is was brought by positivism, and that's a pretty respectable perspective for efficient and material development, but not for the study of human beings. Do you not think art is a valid skill? Or cooking? To be a great chef you need to be able to recall memories by smell, tastes, and textures, and then recreate the mixtures mentally before experiencing it, sometimes creating a complete new flavor, for example. Can that be measured with an IQ?

But many don't feel frustrated simply because they don't think about those hardships, they don't reflect on the future, the possible consequences of a certain action, how that would affect them or why it matters... they simply... ok, I don't know what they think about instead, but what I've seen personally in the countryside, for example, is that many don't have complex thoughts and they're happy with it. A problem comes and then it goes, just like that.

I once talked with an uncle about his calm life in the farm, for example, and I figured this. They went to bed at 8pm because they didn't have much to think about and they woke up at 5am because they didn't have much to dream about — I actually thought he was going to be offended by this observation, but he simply said “yeah, what else is there to think?”.

I think loneliness is pretty common for geniuses, or that's what it has been stated by many throughout history, unless they're in a stimulating place, as you say, that's what I've seen too from “brilliant” kids in specific institutions. But for the rest, I do think smart people might neglect their emotions often, and some may have a very high level of empathy that makes them suffer often for global problems or simply feel misunderstood.
Let's take mathematics as an example
Most students now rely on memorization and hard work to master this subject. In the opposite direction, we hardly find now a person who is innately intelligent in mathematics and can create new laws like scientists previously
Well, they do, of course, but they are less than the rest

Those who work hard reap their crops and top positions to be classified as intelligent
But not all intelligent people are alike - these are just naive laws of the world
For example, if you get good grades, others will praise you, and your respect for yourself will increase, and this makes you comfortable psychologically, which causes the happiness hormone to be released more
But really smart people who use their intelligence to better understand the world collide with many bitter facts.
Therefore, their intelligence is the reason for their unhappiness in most cases
We always find them unknown or outcast personalities with few friends
And the elderly, then the age is like that because whatever they are, the race, their age, has enabled them to go through a lot of experiences so that their understanding of the world and the people around them improves, so their desire to form friendships decreases and they only seek to rest away.

There are those who are not intelligent by nature, but they are persistent and ambitious
On the other hand, there are people who do not work hard but have their own intelligence in a specific field
Serious work is what creates happiness because it makes a person feel satisfied. As for intelligence, it can be one of the means, not the causes

·
Registered
INTP
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Has anyone else ever wondered if abstract thoughts are a functioning form of synesthesia?
There are many conditions that really control our thinking
There are also many scientific methods to manipulate people's ideas and direct them
But in the end, most of my ideas are from that particular person's concepts and beliefs ‼

1 - 20 of 60 Posts