Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty new to this whole personality typing thing, and while I largely agree with INTP as my personality type it seems like most of the other INTP people I have seen are heavily into computers, technology and math. My interests have always been pretty much everything outside of the STEM fields- writing, reading, history, political science and debate. This isn't to say I'm bad at math, but I just would consider figuring out a page full of equations as torturous work, where writing a 10 page research paper is a tedious, but easy task. I'm wondering if I am wrong in this assumption or what. Mostly I'm just bored on a Sunday night and trying to run up my post count because I'm new. :tongue:

Thoughts?

Reactions: Kevinaswell

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
do you like writing research papers or do you just find it easy?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like it. Using the research of others to further an argument and/or analyzing sources and presenting an issue in an entirely new way is pretty fun for me.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
I love physics, psychology, biology, astrology, astrophysics, theory, philosophy, ancient history (older the better, please), music composition and experimentation, Latin (almost done with year 1), sociology, technology, robotics, neurology, and academic personality psychology (not so much mbti/enneagram/etc).

I LOVE 'EM.

I honestly think I've seen every single ancient history related documentary that exists. I can't find anymore, anywhere. Love ancient history. Not the most out of all those, but it's my newest of all those. Only refound my interest in it from a wee 9-10 year old less than a year ago.

SO MUCH AMAZING CRAP HAS BEEN BEING DUG UP IN THE MEAN TIME.

Love love love love love ancient history.

Anyone hit me up who also loves any of these things. Everyone I know IRL isn't too knowledgeable.

EDIT: I should add although I'm incredibly familiar with the concepts and theories of the mathematical fields I listed and their meanings---I don't know/do the math. Because I'm like you OP-----page of equations and shit endlessly crunching data??? No fucking thanks, I'd rather teach myself to code and write a program to do it.

Note to self---learn coding (aren't all the kids doing it?)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I agree with most of @Kevinaswell 's post. I love physics. And history and math and biology and philosophy and history, sociology, astronomy (I assume that's what Kevin meant instead of astrology), economics etc. Except for chemistry. I hate chemistry. And I'm reasonably good at math and I don't mind data/equation crunching but I don't like the super-strict mathematical method. That's why I prefer physics over math. Sure you have to be precise and all but it's not so intensely super strict like pure mathematics.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Philosophy, psychology, sociology, cosmology, biology, epistemology, metaphysics, anthropology, zoology, cryptozoology.

I'm sure I could come up with more, but that's a pretty representative top 10.

·
Registered
999 Posts
My favorites are psychology, sociology, philosophy, theology, economics, and business (basically social sciences). I think the common thread is that you can study human behavior in all of it.

Too "fuzzy/soft" for my tastes: The fine arts.

Too "dry" for my tastes: The hard sciences.

I do enjoy the fine arts and the hard sciences (I like to learn about many things), but my sweet spot is the social sciences.

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Hahahahahahahahaha, I said astrology.

Hahahaha. Def meant astronomy. Funny thing is, before that, I had typed ''cosmology'' and had to delete it xD

I've like dedicated my life to hating on believers in that crap. What a shameful brain fart :blushed:

Woops.

It's midnight here and I've had my bed bowl xD ahaha :D

About my history love, I should stress it's really only civilisations pre-dark ages. Pre jesus sort of stuff. The older the better. Wanna see the most interesting site IMO right now? Check it!

mmiiinnnddddbbbbblllllooowwwwiiiinnnngggggg.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Kevinaswell I definitely get into cosmology and astronomy too. Not so much astrology haha unless you count the Chinese Zodiac, that's pretty fun. My tastes in history are a lot more modern. The period of time that interests me most is post industrial revolution. I like how things speed up pretty exponentially and begin to look a lot more like they do today. My prime interest right now are the World Wars. Fascinating stuff, humanity at its most productive and destructive. The whole 20th Century was a battle of ideologies that had begun to be formed in the French Revolution, and it resulted in the death of millions and millions of people, and a technological acceleration like nothing ever before.

But Mesopotamia and everything was cool too, just haven't taken the time to learn all that much about it. :proud:

·
Registered
270 Posts
My favorite subjects are Geography, History, Business, Economics, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology, English (when someone really great is teaching it).

My liking for a subject also depends on how good the teacher is or how much I like the teacher (how hot a female is, though this will become more rare as I get older sadly, their personality, how they present their ideas, if they seem to have a point in what they say.)

·
Registered
729 Posts
Hey, the "majority" is not the whole! I'm like that myself - although I don't feel the same about research papers. I like doing math, but I would choose a writing assignment over it almost any day. But I'm also deeply in love with technology. Playing with a new "toy" and figuring out its secrets? That's fun for me. But I won't be going around speaking in binary ... I'm not that skilled yet :p

·
Registered
128 Posts
Physics, chemistry, geology, geophysics, nanotechnology, basically all branches of engineering, paleontology (dinosaurs are cool okay, I wanted to be one when I was 6), astronomy, astrophysics, botany, nuclear physics, and forensic science, also probably a lot more.

I'm studying mechatronic engineering.

The thing is that I'm most peeved over is that there is an infinite amount knowledge and one life is not long enough to obtain the level of knowledge one wishes to obtain. I think all INTPs have thought about wanting to be immortal at least once in their life for this reason.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The thing is that I'm most peeved over is that there is an infinite amount knowledge and one life is not long enough to obtain the level of knowledge one wishes to obtain. I think all INTPs have thought about wanting to be immortal at least once in their life for this reason.
Agree completely. Living and learning forever would really be a lot of fun.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm more interesting in Philosophy, Metaphysics, Science (Depends on the field), and Ancient/Modern history than most Math or English subjects. I find Math mostly boring and tedious for me, which is ironic since Math is requires for engineering and programming, I'm pretty decent at Math and I'm not that horrible at it IMO, but It's something I don't find interesting.

Doing English essays do not give me comfort or interest unless it helps me academically with real facts and knowledge, but I think there has been some exceptions. Creativity does not "click" with me when I'm doing creative writing as I cannot being my creativity on paper. That pretty much concludes on why I do not like Math and English, maybe when I get older or when I finally do something, I may give Math and English a chance.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My main interests have been, Space travel, flight, and 20th century military history. Lately, however, I have found botany, entomology, astronomy, paleontology, and meteorology absolutely fascinating. I love science! I tend to find most literature (that we read in school) boring, but I have a soft spot for sci-fi! I guess I find stories about only peoples emotions and social interactions dull.
funny-science-news-experiments-memes-agreed.jpg

·
Registered
630 Posts
My favorite subject, and my current major of study is physics. I like math, cosmology, chemistry and music theory. I personally dislike the social sciences, because it is often too difficult to obtain rigorous or meaningful results in those fields. I don't mind fine arts and histories and philosophy, but for me those constitute intellectual entertainment and not actual academic research.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My two main passions are math and biology (ecology). Those two combine in the form of modelling biological systems like populations mathematically. So I study biology in college, learn math on youtube (doing tensor-analysis right now) and create my own models in my spare time. It's a lot of fun when you get a nice equation out of it. I like math the best when it's applied though, I just want to get an intuitive grasp of the idea's and be able to applie them.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Academic interests: Anything where I can use what I already know and maximize my laziness.

Sorta kidding (but not really). I am interested in psychology, philosophy, creative writing (poetry mainly), media (film and photography), umm... history... english... and other things like various sciences. I mean, most of these things are not things I actively study. I am basically the laziest piece of shit in the US, so I learn very passively. I am pretty ignorant/don't know a whole lot about anything other than typology and... well... I think that's really all I know anything about. The rest of my "knowledge" is more intuitive understanding, speculation, what I've gained from my own observations and ponderings. In other words, I'd love to write books but I hate reading them.

Yeah, I'm interested in all sorts of things but am usually too tired/intimidated/lazy to bother learning any of it. I also find quantum physics to be fucking bananas. Some part of me desperately wishes I was a math-whiz so that I could really dive into it in a formal class. Really, I can't think of any dream more exciting than to be a math wizard in quantum physics. :'( I think I am too scatter-brained and lazy for math...

So, yeah, those are my "academic interests", I guess... OP, I can relate to what you say about being fine with 10 page papers but not being able to stand a page of math. I feel I can safely say that I could write a good research paper about pretty much anything. But, give me a page of math and I'll mostly likely throw a little hissy fit on the inside. Too much focusingggg.... Although, sometimes math can be entertaining, when I really understand the procedures. At that point it's like little puzzles.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I’m not sure I have any anymore.

Academic interests: Anything where I can use what I already know and maximize my laziness.

Sorta kidding (but not really). I am interested in psychology, philosophy, creative writing (poetry mainly), media (film and photography), umm... history... english... and other things like various sciences. I mean, most of these things are not things I actively study. I am basically the laziest piece of shit in the US, so I learn very passively. I am pretty ignorant/don't know a whole lot about anything other than typology and... well... I think that's really all I know anything about. The rest of my "knowledge" is more intuitive understanding, speculation, what I've gained from my own observations and ponderings. In other words, I'd love to write books but I hate reading them.

Yeah, I'm interested in all sorts of things but am usually too tired/intimidated/lazy to bother learning any of it. I also find quantum physics to be fucking bananas. Some part of me desperately wishes I was a math-whiz so that I could really dive into it in a formal class. Really, I can't think of any dream more exciting than to be a math wizard in quantum physics. :'( I think I am too scatter-brained and lazy for math...
Similar problem.
Loads of things seem interesting at first glance, but once I’ve made an attempt to delve into their depths I lose interest fast. That or my interest is only ever superficial to begin with, so once I’ve reached a point where dedication is required to start tapping into the more juicey bits of a given topic, my superficial interest buckles under the pressure and I stop caring.

I’ve only really ever acquired information in a passive manner i.e shit I catch in documentaries, passages of text I stumble across when navigating the web or crap a teacher has forced on us.
Often I’ll check something that intrigues me on wikipedia, I’ll open a tree of articles required to obtain a global view, and end up reading none of them.(I will leave them open for days, or even weeks, at a time with the intention of going back to them. Never happens)

In the past I’ve tried to kid myself that I care, but I never do.
Hell, I have health issues and only 2 days ago my body decided to throw panic attack symptoms at me yet again whilst I tried to explain them away mentally. It’s funny when you’re more or less panic free but your heart decides to run a marathon anyway.
I purchased a book about eating healthily, for the sole purpose of trying to stop my body from doing the fandango, and I can not be arsed to read the book.

I should change my name to HoneyBadger.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts