Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have gotten so bombarded with information and images and conversation and thought all day, it can get very overwhelming.

How do you guys decompress and prepare yourselves for bed, so you can relax enough to go to sleep?

Do you limit cell phone or electronics time? watch TV? read? eat a snack? play My Little Pony? drink?

Do you have any quirks, like rubbing a blanket, or still sleeping with a stuffed animal? Do you have to have your feet uncovered? Do you open the windows in the wintertime and pile on the blankets so your nose is cold and your body is warm?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Reactions: refugee

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I am a model sleeper - I could likely fall asleep standing up if I wanted to (the thought of where I might wake up, however, bars me from trying).

Thusly, I don't prepare for sleep. I flop in bed, hug a pillow, and fall into temporary oblivion.

(edit) oh, wait... whenever I go to bed, for something like... I'm not sure, perhaps since i was fifteen or younger, I've always said "goodnight, all". To everything and anything and nothing. All inclusive. Occasionally, when I'm feeling extra-sentimental, I'll add in special goodnights to people I know/knew, or, say, a dead pet...

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jazz. Lots and lots and lots of Jazz.

I listen to Jazz music along the day too and it helps me to cheer up, but it's also the only fail-proof remedy for me to sleep.

Also, meditation and a cigarette by the window before laying down to sleep are always welcome.
Any particular musicians strike your nighttime fancy?

·
Banned
5 Posts
Been lurking around for a while... i.e. here's my first post. ;p

Every night, but not necessarily before "bedtime", I go for a walk, no matter the weather. I take my ipod with and blast whatever music in my ears that fits my current mood. I think and I think and I walk and I think and I walk until I cannot do any of it anymore, and then I go back inside my cozy, little home. Generally if I don't exhaust myself like this before the end of the night, I don't fall asleep as quickly.

For actual sleeping, I prefer to sleep in a chilled room with covers and covers wrapped around me. And, pillows too! Sometimes I feel like I have to climb to get out of bed in the morning, but the night before always makes it worth it.

·
Banned
5 Posts
wow, I'm flattered that my thread brought you to productive mode so we can enjoy your voice too. Thanks!
Hahah. I am happy to be a facilitator of flattery. But to be honest, I had just came back in from one of my nightly walks when I saw your thread. I was like, "Ah! Now that is something I can speak on." Earlier, I was troubling myself on what form my first post should take. So, thank you for giving me an easy entrance.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I usually read some book or other, if I have one at the moment, write down any random thoughts that come to my head in my journal-ish book, and then listen to music until I fall asleep. Although sometimes I wish I had access to a more inspiring place to sleep. Someplace I could watch the stars at night, or look out over a forest or a field of tall grass and flowers, or rolling green hills behind which the sun sets.

*sigh* In a perfect world...

Reactions: Father of Dragons

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I don't do anything specific at all. I just do whatever it is I'd be doing if it were the middle of the day until I get so tired that I can't keep my eyes open any longer. Part of this is due to the fact that my days have no structure whatsoever to them and I sleep whenever I'm tired and don't when I'm not, and part of it is because I have an awful time shutting my brain off and really cannot sleep just by lying down at a certain time. (I guess that's another way of saying I can't relax. Mentally, anyway.)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hahah. I am happy to be a facilitator of flattery. But to be honest, I had just came back in from one of my nightly walks when I saw your thread. I was like, "Ah! Now that is something I can speak on." Earlier, I was troubling myself on what form my first post should take. So, thank you for giving me an easy entrance.
Your original post reminded me of a radio program, "long time listener, first time caller." :)

Reactions: thetoken

·
Registered
16,179 Posts
Usually (99% of the time) going to sleep is not a problem for me. Head hits the pillow - I'm out. Bedtime ritual includes setting my iPod radio for 15 minutes. I pay a monthly fee for *CalmRadio.com* & I'll turn on one of their many stations.

Microfiber sheets and darkness in the room & I am set!

·
Registered
620 Posts
I usually take some sleep meds and play around on PerC until I start getting loopy. I take the easy way out because before I took sleep meds I would stay up until 4 or later...

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
Here's the detailed breakdown :

1. I lie on my back and I try to make out shapes on the ceiling while rethinking about my day.
2. I check PerC from my phone.
3. I start shifting slightly from time to time to feel the cold mattress because cold mattresses feel AMAZING.
4. I get on my tummy, and if I get on my tummy, SHIT JUST GOT SERIOUS.
5. Cue sleep :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
This is something I've never told a living soul before, but I HAVE to sleep with something covering my ears, whether it's my own hair, or a blanket...

It all stems from this Creepy Canada episode I watched as a kid, depicting this witch who had poured poison into her husband's ears in his sleep...

It seems like this shouldn't still affect me, and logically I tell myself it doesn't...but still, the ritual remains, and I keep my ears covered to this day. Yup.

My relationship with sleep has been on the rocks for the past while. When I left University a few months ago, I simply stopped caring or doing any form of routine...so I've pretty severely messed up my internal clock to the point where...I am quite literally, nocturnal. As in, right now, I don't feel the need to sleep until about midday, then I wake up before supper...and the cycle continues. It's not good, I'm aware. But I'm trying to fix it, and I'm depressed too..so that probably feeds into it as well.

Keeping a journal is a fantastic idea! I might have to try that. Though, I feel if I do, I'll be guarding that thing like a ninja for the rest of my life, because if anyone read my stuff WITHOUT my permission... dear God.O_O

·
Registered
140 Posts
Well I would often read a fan fiction and daydream about it before I sleep. I daydream with my favorite pillow, by the way. No regrets! My mother and brothers kept telling me to throw away the pillow because I'm too old to carry it around but I never listened to them.

I like (and often) imagine anguished situations and actually cry. I don't really know why I like feeling pain when daydreaming. =.=

Reactions: Saldron
1 - 20 of 54 Posts