Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
INTJ
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all. I have a book titled Timelines for Everything (a Smithsonian picture encyclopedic book) which documents "13 billion years" of historical events and I'm working towards committing it all (events and dates) to memory in the space of 6 months or less. It just occurred to me how grandiose that task is - the book lists 3,600+ historical events. I'm curious to know if you've done something similar and what your experiences are? I'm using the memory palace approach of course, but don't have an intuitive sense of how to construct the abstraction for 3,600+ events.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
<<<<<<<<-------------------take it frum a koon!

When I was younger I had a photographic memory so memorizing both mindless rote data as well as recalling specific events & experiences wasn't really difficult for me per se' but it also didn't take me long to apply Einstein's adage;
"Why commit to memory that which you can lookup?"

With todays availability of ,again, rote info, facts, data, times, dates, events, places because of the Internet that makes it even more easy to "look anything up" than in Einstein's era, even less of a reason to commit any of it to memory. Einstein would advise today even more so and I concur: Use that brain energy for more important things.

Reactions: completedespues

·
Registered
INTJ
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes,

When I was younger I had a photographic memory so memorizing both mindless rote data as well as recalling specific events & experiences wasn't really difficult for me per se' but it also didn't take me long to apply Einstein's adage;
"Why commit to memory that which you can lookup?"

With todays availability of ,again, rote info, facts, data, times, dates, events, places because of the Internet that makes it even more easy to "look anything up" than in Einstein's era, even less of a reason to commit any of it to memory. Einstein would advise today even more so and I concur: Use that brain energy for more important things.

Thanks for the response! I've read that quote from Einstein, I actually did consider it briefly, and in some ways, I'm probably fishing for reasons not to pursue this project. I've never had a photographic memory but working out a way to store 100 successive events in my mind isn't impossible to reason, storing 2000+ events is a lot trickier. Being able to quote entire pages of history although tedious can only benefit my Ni, I'd think.

I can't be the only INTJ who would do something like this, in their free time. My Si is very weak so I was hoping to learn from different INTJ approaches.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Being able to quote entire pages of history although tedious can only benefit my Ni, I'd think.
Eh, usually when learning history, I don't think the facts are really the most important pieces of data. It's really the abstract story. When learning about various events, it's not so much the year they occurred, but rather what occurred, and how it led to later events in history. Even then, I don't know if it would be helpful to know ALL events in history. Usually a good background knowledge of the beginning of the universe to present day isn't useless, but it isn't necessarily useful, either, in my opinion. Still, remembering all details of all events would be impossible. So abstracting the ideas of events into stories, such as the bronze age, renaissance, etc, will help you group events, and when necessary learn more about the details of those abstractions when needed; as the raccoon guy said.

But that's my .02, if you're determined to memorize EVERYTHING don't let my thoughts necessarily deter you, it's just I'm not entirely sure it's realistic.

·
Registered
INTJ
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eh, usually when learning history, I don't think the facts are really the most important pieces of data. It's really the abstract story. When learning about various events, it's not so much the year they occurred, but rather what occurred, and how it led to later events in history. Even then, I don't know if it would be helpful to know ALL events in history. Usually a good background knowledge of the beginning of the universe to present day isn't useless, but it isn't necessarily useful, either, in my opinion. Still, remembering all details of all events would be impossible. So abstracting the ideas of events into stories, such as the bronze age, renaissance, etc, will help you group events, and when necessary learn more about the details of those abstractions when needed; as the raccoon guy said.

But that's my .02, if you're determined to memorize EVERYTHING don't let my thoughts necessarily deter you, it's just I'm not entirely sure it's realistic.
Ok, I could reduce the workload to something like 25 categories or so, the dates in and of themselves aren't particularly interesting but I like the idea of being able to recite the general thread of history, if not the details.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Ok, I could reduce the workload to something like 25 categories or so, the dates in and of themselves aren't particularly interesting but I like the idea of being able to recite the general thread of history, if not the details.
Yeah - that's actually really useful knowledge, as you'll be able to have that reference to learn more about when needed. I also recommend the book Sapiens

No book will have all knowledge of history; for example, the book you plan on reading will probably not be as in-depth on human history as Sapiens. Don't let that deter you though, it's an awesome objective, and I'm guessing there is a good amount of value there.

·
Registered
INTJ
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also remembering all the details aren't impossible, I came up with a pretty great system for organizing and storing the data in my mind, complete with dates coded by color and events simplified into single images related to those colors. The difficulty comes with the volume of data and trying to learn them in a short period of time. I can't even remember my siblings birthdays most days. lol.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Also remembering all the details aren't impossible, I came up with a pretty great system for organizing and storing the data in my mind, complete with dates coded by color and events simplified into single images related to those colors. The difficulty comes with the volume of data and trying to learn them in a short period of time. I can't even remember my siblings birthdays most days. lol.
Yeah I've heard of techniques like that; but I'm really not a fan. I think there's too much effort in trying to remember the details rather than what the meaning of the details are in the greater system; ie the patterns of the details and why they are important. However, everyone is different, and so don't be deterred only by my thoughts on the matter, as I may be entirely wrong; or maybe a mixture of both methodologies would be best shrug

·
Registered
1,418 Posts

I'm curious as to Why? You're so interested to accomplish this mountain climbing expedition besides "because its there". Whats the application, the purpose, the end result? To all of this memorization?

The definition of "Work" is energy expended to perform a given task. Many people mistake their expending of energy as "work" when in fact they accomplish nothing hence it isn't Work; it is simply an expenditure of energy & time. Not saying this applies to your proposed endeavor but I'm curious..........

Years ago I was involved in a discusion on the virtues of Democracy. All of us generally agreed with Churchill's assessment,to paraphrase: "Yeah, Democracy sucks but its the best we have". Everyone else in the discussion was content, like Churchill, to leave it at that.

I was not, however, and continued with a general indictment of Democracy. Everyone else challenged me, " Well, what the fuk would you replace it with?" I said I don't know but something new needs to be invented - nothing, either, from the past; something new .

............and from there I set off on MY solitary Mountain climbing expedition to invent a new system of Governmental Political Structure that is based on a Healthy Value of our Natural Existence.
My first step was to read a book that listed the 100 most influential books ever written -I had already read about 20 of them but I spent some 5 years reading, re-reading & studying all of those 100 books along with others that fell into the wash.

It took me another over 3 years to just formulate a working 10 page basic thesis but since then the outline has taken form and now I hope I can live long enuff to finish & refine most of the details.

My point here to you is WHY are you climbing the mountain you've chosen to climb? What is the final goal? how does this help/hope to advance The Human Condition?
Jonny Koon Luzsha

Reactions: stathamspeacoat

·
Registered
INTJ
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My point here to you is WHY are you climbing the mountain you've chosen to climb? What is the final goal? how does this help/hope to advance The Human Condition?
Jonny Koon Luzsha
[/QUOTE]

Sure. First, to preface, human short term memory is transitory and finite but long term memory is potentially infinite and deep - what you learn in your youth you carry on into old age. The short answer is for the sake of wisdom, and a more muscular and authentic empathy, I'm certainly not aiming for knowledge just for the sake of knowledge. A deeper and broader understanding of the world but more importantly the tools to be able to easily plot out specific points in time, extrapolate those moments out into different regions of the world, looking at the globe from the lens of different nations, walking through culturally impactful events, peoples histories, wars, critical inventions, empires, entertainment, art, love, family, tribal life, extinction events and more, ultimately to feed my pattern-finding internal conversations, with the added bonus of, along the way, opening my mind up to ideas I would hardly take seriously were I not intentional about fitting them into a mental construct for the long term. Also to destroy noobs in debate.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
<<<<<<<<--------------------take it frum a koon!

Jonny Koon Luzsha
Sure. ............ Also to destroy noobs in debate.
[/QUOTE]

🤣🤣 now we've gotten to the real crux of the topic; and I love the word "noobs"; jus gotta love the word "noobs".🤣🤣

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I'll be honest, I pretty much suck at memorizing "data" - numbers, dates, just raw "data" I am not good at. General timelines, the influence of various things, being able to relate what was happening here and there and then - that is just a matter of learning it.

Depending on what you are needing/wanting it for, dates are easy to find if you need something specific. If you need "quick memory access" for some reason, well, I'm not much help in the best way to do that as I've never been good at it. I'm more of an ideas and kinisthetic learner than a "memorizer" of information.

·
Registered
INTJ
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[/QUOTE]

🤣🤣 now we've gotten to the real crux of the topic;

Some time ago an ENTJ boss of mine (really great guy, one of the few managers I ever deeply respected) asked me a very similar question as you asked me, "why are you reading philosophy, what in Gods name do you gain from it?" - I was reading Kant and Hume at the time, trying to make a case for objective morality. First thing that came to mind was to destroy noobs so I told him that 🤣. This ENTJ was very tuned into his Te but somewhat blind regarding his Ni. NTs need data to process the world, and I'm much more likely to take on this project than any ENTJ I know (I'm sure for good reason).

·
Registered
INTJ
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I'll be honest, I pretty much suck at memorizing "data" - numbers, dates, just raw "data" I am not good at. General timelines, the influence of various things, being able to relate what was happening here and there and then - that is just a matter of learning it.

Depending on what you are needing/wanting it for, dates are easy to find if you need something specific. If you need "quick memory access" for some reason, well, I'm not much help in the best way to do that as I've never been good at it. I'm more of an ideas and kinisthetic learner than a "memorizer" of information.
But if you decided to do it, you could. My first impulse is to get rid of the notion of numbers altogether and instead use colors/images as my mnemonics. The big bang occurred 13.8 billion years ago, exactly a second after this protons and neutrons developed, and life would only begin exactly 9.5 billion years after.

2=jade green (2 twin pillars or twin jade gemini statues)
3=orange(Zelda triforce)
4=blue(balance)
8=brown(turd on a turd)
1=black (this one is hard to defend, but it works for me)

13.8 is represented in my mind as black, orange, and brown [against a black expanse of space came an explosion of orange matter, like sunbursts, shooting out a sh** ton on energy] while 4.3 (4.3 billion years ago life came about) is represented as blue, and orange [one of the earliest forms of life were a result of the Cambrian explosion, I visualize a sea of blue and an orange spineless life form swimming].

As time goes the mnemonics fade but the knowledge stays, once 13.8 is locked into my long term memory it's there, always.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
🤣🤣 now we've gotten to the real crux of the topic;

Some time ago an ENTJ boss of mine (really great guy, one of the few managers I ever deeply respected) asked me a very similar question as you asked me, "why are you reading philosophy, what in Gods name do you gain from it?" - I was reading Kant and Hume at the time, trying to make a case for objective morality. First thing that came to mind was to destroy noobs so I told him that 🤣. This ENTJ was very tuned into his Te but somewhat blind regarding his Ni. NTs need data to process the world, and I'm much more likely to take on this project than any ENTJ I know (I'm sure for good reason).
[/QUOTE]

Haha doubled down; Well, prolly the last thing I am today is an Objective Moralist although like most I sure as hell started out that way - fuk the Apostle Paul, St. Augustine & Plato would've loved me. Today they'ld call me Antichrist. 😇.
You chose quite a dichotomy tho in Kant & Hume : like trying to prove Kant's A Priori argument using Empiricism via Hume's Skepticism.
🤣🤣
Jonny Koon Luzsha

·
Registered
INTJ
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Exactly right, I read Descartes and Hume, then Hume and Kant. I refuse to accept Nietzschean nihilism and I believe subjective morality is untenable, at least not for the masses, as if every man adopted it civilization would come to end - see postmodernism (the natural end to nihilism and refutation of science/logic).

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
<<<<<<<<-----------------take it frum a koon!

Exactly right, I read Descartes and Hume, then Hume and Kant. I refuse to accept Nietzschean nihilism and I believe subjective morality is untenable, at least not for the masses, as if every man adopted it civilization would come to end - see postmodernism (the natural end to nihilism and refutation of science/logic).
😂Dude you're kraaken me up😂. From Midieveal Rationalism to British Empiricism and end up at German Idealism? And you refuse to accept Neitzschean Nihilism? When you are on the exact path that leads you to it. Of course one can stop and jump off the path whenever one wants. No wonder you're on this forum!😂

Tiz ok tho. Neitzsche refused to accept Neitzschean Nihilism, too. It was what he was trying to fight against: Nihilism............ I'm with him, too, as 90 years after his death I, too, took up arms against it. Before you take it on, tho, you must first defeat those other 3 you've already mentioned along with several others that will enslave you; who have allied themselves, not only with Objective Reality/Truth but Subjective Idealism/Humanism. All of that Western Judeo/Christian/Islamic Nightmare stuff. And Postmodernism/Positivism has simply retreated & settled into British Empiricism (gutless bastards) - it rules most of The World today.

Good Luck in your fight against them; IF you're victorious against them all you will have discovered, who & what you really are!

But as Neitzsche warned: "Be careful if you choose to fight with Monsters that you yourself do not become one; for if you stare into the Abyss long enough, the Abyss will stare back into you!"

Jonny Koon Luzsha, baybee. Alway hav, alway will

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'm with the other INTJ's, I'm a big picture person, so while I can and do remember random bits of data (I play a lot of trivia), trying to intentionally memorize a ****-load of data would not only bore me to tears, it would frustrate me to no end as most of it would not stick. In my youth, I knew a guy who was good at that kind of thing... he had all the kings & queens of England memorized, along with their years of reign, all 50 state capitals and however many Canadian provinces' capitals, all the popes in order, along with their years in office, 260+ of them, etc. etc. I couldn't do it, and wondered why you'd want to.

Besides, you can always fake it.

·
Premium Member
INTJ 5w4 (Sp/Sx) 594
737 Posts
My long term memory sucks. It’s trash, and there is no salvaging it. I have to constantly re-evaluate what I already know.

But my short-term memory is pretty good, as I can usually remember all tasks that I need to get done in a specific time frame. I can also categorize and prioritize tasks, determining when and where each one can be most efficiently done, and in what order/combination it would best be done.

I also have pretty good deductive reasoning skills. That is why I love historical analysis on controversial subjects.
You can give me loads of data, journals, diary entries, time frames, people, places, etc. I’ll be able to separate and categorize that data, determine what a point of commonality is between all of those sources, and hopefully provide a new perspective on an issue.
Then I can use my conclusion to debate others if I need to.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts