Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to know if anyone else makes summer goals. If you do, what are they? I think summer is a great time to press reset and pueruse some lost and forgotten hobbies/desires. What's your list look like this summer?

·
Registered
914 Posts
Hmm, good idea. Summer is going to be great. My main goals are to shoot some short films, write, and explore. Possibly find another job, but we'll see lol

Reactions: Sophi

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@angelcat oooh, so your a novelist then? I want to get published one day. :) Right now I'm still working on the craft though, and getting things finished.

My goals this summer is to make money for college, get in shape for my brother's wedding, and research starting a business. I'm hoping to open an Etsy shop sometime this year. I'm very excited. :D I'm also hoping to start a children's ministry at my friend's coffee shop, but we'll see. It's just a dream in the making right now.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I would like to finish the novel I'm rewriting, and query some agents with it. I have a few smaller goals as well, but that's the major one.
Oh my god, please tell me about this. My biggest problem is what to do with my projects after I'm done them... I suppose perhaps this query of agents is an idea. What kind of novel is it?

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
@angelcat oooh, so your a novelist then? I want to get published one day. :) Right now I'm still working on the craft though, and getting things finished.

My goals this summer is to make money for college, get in shape for my brother's wedding, and research starting a business. I'm hoping to open an Etsy shop sometime this year. I'm very excited. :D I'm also hoping to start a children's ministry at my friend's coffee shop, but we'll see. It's just a dream in the making right now.
Yup. I usually just publish my stuff myself because it's kind of ... non-publishable in the current markets (too symbolic / religious for secular publishers, too weird, surreal, and fantastical for Christian publishers), but I'm doing a straight up historical fiction novel at the moment, so I may try the traditional publishing route.

What are you going to sell in your Etsy shop?

Oh my god, please tell me about this. My biggest problem is what to do with my projects after I'm done them... I suppose perhaps this query of agents is an idea. What kind of novel is it?
Um. Well, you SHARE projects. That way, people will read them. (What can I say? I have been "sharing" my writing since I was eleven. I got hooked on it. Heh.)

This one is historical fiction, about the first wife of Henry VIII -- Katharine of Aragon. It's actually a re-write of a novel I wrote a decade ago when I was more into telling than showing, so I'm rectifying that. I think it'll be quite good when I'm done. I hope. ;)

What kinds of novels / things do you write?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@angelcat I'm hoping to make things for American girl dolls. I've looked on etsy, and quite a few people are successful at it. I have to find my niche though. Currently my crafting skills aren't good enough imo. My goal this summer is to research how to market, build an audience, join the communities/circles already on etsy, and create 10 sellable items. I'm very methodical lol. I think it comes with the isfj territory.

Your historical novel sounds very interesting. i hope you can find a publisher! The time period around Henry VIII is always interesting.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I m going to travel around some new cities, learn a new language, meet new people and places, cook new meals, experience what I feel are impressive, takes photos, maybe earn some money and many more,...

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@SnowSun Sounds fun! I got to go to Kenya last year, I hope yu have a great time.any place in specific your going to, or is it still in the planning stage?

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
I m in the most powerful country in Europe for a long enough while. Got it? :)
So Russia, then. Nice!

@ everyone else

This is a pretty cool thread.
@bob_toeback

What kinds of short films do you make? How many people are involved? What step of production is your favorite?
@angelcat

I've been through your website before. It's pretty incredible how extensive your work is. Which is the hardest part of writing: the initial creation or the editing? Also, do you plot your stories beforehand or write as you go?

·
Registered
914 Posts
@angelcat - Yeah, fair enough. I suppose my main problem is... 'Who' to share with. But I guess that anyone could be a connection if you just give it a chance. And you won't know if you don't. Your novel sounds really cool. Good luck with it :)
I mainly write scripts and poetry. I find those rather easy to knock out, and of course... still some trouble with the whole sharing thing lol. I have some novels on the go, but for the most part those are just side projects. Not really planning much for them, unless I end up liking them... I would like to write novels, but maybe when I'm a bitter old man.
@Pilot - I suppose ones that stray away from narrative a bit. Mainly include detectives or people on the run. Some surrealism at times (that bridges into my longer projects I have yet to work on, more, though). Not many people involved at all. Around 6 or 7 including the actors. I'm still getting into this in a 'proper' sense, keeping it small. The best parts are writing/directing and editing. Basically if it's not pre-production, I like it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
So Russia, then. Nice!

@ everyone else

This is a pretty cool thread.
@bob_toeback

What kinds of short films do you make? How many people are involved? What step of production is your favorite?
@angelcat

I've been through your website before. It's pretty incredible how extensive your work is. Which is the hardest part of writing: the initial creation or the editing? Also, do you plot your stories beforehand or write as you go?
Nope. I mean Germany, Russia is the most powerful in term of military and it would be also nice to live there. Now Germany is the leading economy in the whole region and it is the most influential.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
@angelcat: I've been through your website before. It's pretty incredible how extensive your work is. Which is the hardest part of writing: the initial creation or the editing? Also, do you plot your stories beforehand or write as you go?
Probably the editing process. I find creating stories fairly easy, but going back and making sure I have tied up all the loose ends and answered all the questions posed through the narrative can be a challenge. I usually have SOMETHING in mind when I start writing -- a plot twist, for example, but I let the story grow organically around that. I've done both styles of writing -- based off an outline and pantsing it, making it up as I go along. I CAN do both effectively, but I usually wind up doing a combination of them -- planning some parts of the story and not others, because... the best things are inspired in the moment.

@angelcat - Yeah, fair enough. I suppose my main problem is... 'Who' to share with. But I guess that anyone could be a connection if you just give it a chance. And you won't know if you don't. Your novel sounds really cool. Good luck with it :) I mainly write scripts and poetry. I find those rather easy to knock out, and of course... still some trouble with the whole sharing thing lol. I have some novels on the go, but for the most part those are just side projects. Not really planning much for them, unless I end up liking them... I would like to write novels, but maybe when I'm a bitter old man.
Why don't you want to share your work? Fear of ... rejection? It not being good? That sort of thing?

I grew up having people read my stuff from an early age (it becomes addictive, for Fe, I might add) so I've never had that ... hesitation in sharing. It's more like LOOK AT ME!! I DID A THING! READ IT AND BE IN AWE! Hehe.

I guess, if you're nervous about sharing ... just share in small doses at first, with someone you can trust to be gentle in talking about your work. I think Fe ... NEEDS to share their art / writing / whatever. At least, I'm never happy writing just for myself.

·
Registered
914 Posts
@angelcat - It's sort of a fear of failure... but to be fair, in most occasions of me sharing with people, they will love it ecstatically (so they say :p) and being appreciated is kind of a tough area for me too lol. It's all very contradictory, but that's life. I think I also have a desire for perfection, and so I find it hard to share something before I'm completely comfortable with it, and know there will be no changes (Though, I did good. I shared a script with a colleague, and it is very far from 'completion', but we are planning on shooting it next year)

I know what you mean with the LOOK AT WHAT I DID! Thinking about it more, through this, I think it's more 'big' projects I have the difficulty with. And that could be BECAUSE once it's out, if anything is to be done with it, I feel unsure of if I would do a good job (For example, with directing something I've written) and so I'm going, like you said, in small doses. Poetry I have no problem sharing. Same with drawings and the likes, and I deeply want people to observe it... but when it comes to something that I may need to DO something with, after the fact, I get a bit self-conscious lol.

Still some stuff I need to work out with this, but I'm getting there, I think.

Reactions: angelcat

·
Registered
99 Posts
Everyone's responses sound so fun! This summer I'm going to do a bit of traveling to a couple of places I've never been, continue to reach out to people to develop friendships, continue to work on mindfulness, and I'm going to take a 4-week class called "Plot Your Novel." I haven't done much creative writing in my life, but I have a few ideas. I'd love to actually flesh them out on paper finally. Hopefully the class will help. And @angelcat maybe you can give me some helpful hints!

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
@angelcat - It's sort of a fear of failure... but to be fair, in most occasions of me sharing with people, they will love it ecstatically (so they say :p) and being appreciated is kind of a tough area for me too lol. It's all very contradictory, but that's life. I think I also have a desire for perfection, and so I find it hard to share something before I'm completely comfortable with it, and know there will be no changes (Though, I did good. I shared a script with a colleague, and it is very far from 'completion', but we are planning on shooting it next year)

I know what you mean with the LOOK AT WHAT I DID! Thinking about it more, through this, I think it's more 'big' projects I have the difficulty with. And that could be BECAUSE once it's out, if anything is to be done with it, I feel unsure of if I would do a good job (For example, with directing something I've written) and so I'm going, like you said, in small doses. Poetry I have no problem sharing. Same with drawings and the likes, and I deeply want people to observe it... but when it comes to something that I may need to DO something with, after the fact, I get a bit self-conscious lol.

Still some stuff I need to work out with this, but I'm getting there, I think.
I know what you mean. I'm a notorious perfectionist, who wants things to be flawless before I put them, permanently, out into the world. I also have this dual quality of wanting to talk excitedly about my writing ideas with other people, but at the same time NOT wanting to do that, so as to save the surprise for the end of the book. Fe/Ne seems to fight itself at times in me; I want to share, but I also don't want to share. I want to craft and THEN share.

@Abbigailius, the best thing to do is not to STUDY writing, but to WRITE. I actually think you learn the most not from writing classes but in observing successful writers. How do they do it? How do they punctuate? How do they craft their story? If you find it dull, WHY is it dull? What is slowing down the narrative? What would a better solution have been?

This takes practice. You have to train your mind to do it, but once you unleash that side of your creativity (your Ne, as it were -- seeing things in a more idealized state) it's hard to stop it. I find myself watching television shows, questioning the writing decisions, the flow, the pacing, their end game, the characters' motivations, and in some cases, not thinking very highly of the writers because they missed golden opportunities to take a thin plot on to greatness. I see BETTER plots than a lot of them employ, but that were right under their nose.

Novel-writing. Well, there's two methods that I've seen used with some success, and that I have used too.

1) Planning.
2) Pantsing.

Planning usually involves outlines, a basic concept of what you want to accomplish in each chapter, and a timeline of sorts so you stay on track. This actually makes the writing process fairly quick, because it forces you to stay on topic. I'm actually doing this at the moment, with my historical fiction -- because I'm dealing with a real timeline, and actual events, I'm not allowed to deviate or wander much; I have to keep it moving forward at a rapid clip. It takes a lot of the guesswork out of "what will happen next" and allows me to concentrate more on "how do I show and not tell this?"

Pantsing is what happens with most of my books. I have a vague idea of where it's going, what it means, and what I want to accomplish, and then I wing it, chapter after chapter. This means more editing later, because I let creativity guide me in unexpected directions and that means catching plots and removing them that went nowhere, or wrapping up loose ends because I had a brilliant thought and started to follow it and then forgot all about it when I started writing the next day.

In general, I've had the most success combining the two -- have some plans, but pants the rest. :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
@Abbigailius, the best thing to do is not to STUDY writing, but to WRITE. I actually think you learn the most not from writing classes but in observing successful writers.

Novel-writing. Well, there's two methods that I've seen used with some success, and that I have used too.

1) Planning.
2) Pantsing.

In general, I've had the most success combining the two -- have some plans, but pants the rest. :)
Thanks! Yeah, I wondered right before signing up for the class how helpful it would actually be. I can organize information (plot) all day long, but will it actually help me get the thing written? In the end, I decided to sign up for the class more for the focus and motivation factor. I told myself I wanted finish writing this story by the end of 2016, but I'm not always enough motivation for me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts