Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Us INTPs are probably the worst at finding errors in peoples' grammar and word usage. What are some of your pet peeves? This doesn't necessarily have to be something that annoys you per se. Just things that somehow upset your sense of order in the universe. A couple of mine:

• Redundancy in use of abbreviations. Ex: "ATM Machine"
  • Use of a long a instead of a short e. Ex: pronouncing leg as "layg"
  • Of course there's always the infamous list of commonly confused words: there, their, and they're for example

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Yeah that long a thing is a peev, also when people ask how to spell words that at their age, should really know how to spell.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
When people SAY acronyms that use more syllables that what they stand for.

For example, WTF. It's kind of annoying when you're trying to be polite, though, because you don't want to waste your time saying W but you don't want to say what F stands for.

Also, "I could care less."
:angry:

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
When people don't put their foreign words in italics. :wink: Not really.

Yeah, scuba apparatus, laser radiation, radar ranging, etc. Just stupid.

I was raised in a household where there were many improvised pronunciations of words that I am thoroughly trying to rid myself of, even as we speak.

Damn, wait. "there were many improvised pronunciations of which I am thoroughly trying to rid myself..." When prepositions linger at the end of sentences, they tend to sound silly, but they normally don't bug me. Unless, of course, "at" is used as a verb.

Moving on to my original idea,

fustrating v. frustrating.
praticular v. particular.

These I find particularly frustrating.

Reactions: Thu

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For example, WTF. It's kind of annoying when you're trying to be polite, though, because you don't want to waste your time saying W but you don't want to say what F stands for.
I actually say WTF out loud almost as a way of self mockery. It kind of says "Hey, I'm a big enough nerd to say WTF out loud". Although this does remind me of one pet peeve: AIM-speak. Don't get me wrong, I can understand abbreviations. I find myself saying IMHO, OMW, or WRT. Those actually save a good deal of time. However, saying "u" instead of "you" or "2" instead of "to" is just annoying. If you're going to abbreviate, at least use it for the big statements.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I actually say WTF out loud almost as a way of self mockery. It kind of says "Hey, I'm a big enough nerd to say WTF out loud". Although this does remind me of one pet peeve: AIM-speak. Don't get me wrong, I can understand abbreviations. I find myself saying IMHO, OMW, or WRT. Those actually save a good deal of time. However, saying "u" instead of "you" or "2" instead of "to" is just annoying. If you're going to abbreviate, at least use it for the big statements.
My friends and I have a habit of saying 'LOL' a lot of the time. It's become this big joke to us - if something's funny, but not that funny, we don't laugh. We just say LOL in a totally deadpan voice.

"And then he just fell over!"
"Lawl."
-- silence --

It's a bit of a bad habit now.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
People who spell laser wrong.

Correct way: LASER: Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation.
Wrong way: LAZER: Little Assholes Zip Eagerly Rearward.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I can't stand double-negatives (though sometimes I can get my way because people are dumb enough to use them)...

Also usage of the word "irregardless" and the phrase "in regards to", as if you would also say "regards-ing"... that saddest part of all is when I try to explain this error to people, they look at me like I'M the idiot.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well since I'm a spelling and grammar nazi, what really irks me is people who cant differentiate between 'loose" and "lose"
How difficult is that, I mean really??

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Messing up than vs then, pretty much no one uses than anymore..... Asking, can you do something, instead of may you do something...

And I am 99.9% sure this is a grammar error, because everyone in my area does it (I'm not from this area) and they are all convinced there is NOTHING wrong with it, even teachers.

For example they will say "These clothes need washed" OR, "The dogs need fed", "Our bed needs fixed" that's wrong right? Shouldn't they add a "to be" or something? Am I going crazy!?!?

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
For example they will say "These clothes need washed" OR, "The dogs need fed", "Our bed needs fixed" that's wrong right? Shouldn't they add a "to be" or something? Am I going crazy!?!?
Holy smokes! That would drive me crazy. Where do you live where folks talk in such ways?

Reactions: Thu

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
And I am 99.9% sure this is a grammar error, because everyone in my area does it (I'm not from this area) and they are all convinced there is NOTHING wrong with it, even teachers.

Are you from Pittsburgh? I used to do this until my mom pointed out that it was wrong. I changed my usage from there on out.

And you are right that there should be a "to be" in there.

I generally don't get angry about grammar, but I do like to correct people. I'm a terrible proofreader because I get hung up on perfecting the syntax and I don't actually look at the content of the paper. Man, Pittsburgh is like the place grammar goes to die. I think I've just learned to live with it as a coping mechanism.

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
Are you from Pittsburgh? I used to do this until my mom pointed out that it was wrong. I changed my usage from there on out.

And you are right that there should be a "to be" in there.

I generally don't get angry about grammar, but I do like to correct people. I'm a terrible proofreader because I get hung up on perfecting the syntax and I don't actually look at the content of the paper. Man, Pittsburgh is like the place grammar goes to die. I think I've just learned to live with it as a coping mechanism.
Well, since we're bashing PA...

Yins? Seriously? Yins? "When are yins leaving for the show?" Excuse me?!?!

Also, I just about choke when I hear someone say "wooder" rather than "water." There's just no excuse for that.

Reactions: CrabHammer

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Hey, if a few people do it, then it's bad grammar. If an entire city does it, then it's a dialect. :proud: Most people here are actually proud of "Pittsburgh-ese." For the most part, I actually find it endearing. I even got used to the yinzers eventually. I still cannot fathom, however, how the sound "ah" turned into "or" for wash and water. I think there's even a few more.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Another one I run into that irritates me... when people pronounce "milk" as if it were spelled "melk". WTF??

·
Registered
911 Posts
Well since I'm a spelling and grammar nazi, what really irks me is people who can't differentiate between 'loose" and "lose"
How difficult is that, I mean really??
:crazy:
-
yeah, that bugs me too.
Also, there/their etc.
And I hate it when people spell atheist "athiest". It's annoying.

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
Ooo, "threw" and "through" bugs the crap out of me too.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.