Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My most predominant one:
This too shall pass. I remind myself of this, mostly during harder times. It will all be all right. No matter what, everything will be fine. (I'm a big worrier, and have been for a long time, but every bad thing I've gone through has been followed by something good. So I truly know it will all pass, and this helps me stay somewhat calm and balanced. This goes for the good things too. I try to be extremely thankful for them while they're there, because I know they can't stick around forever.)

My second most predominant one:
Be good to others. Simple and broad, but includes a lot of little things, like being loyal, being dependable for friends and at work, being a good listener, being as far away from judgmental as can be, and lots of other little things. I have a hard time with this one sometimes, mostly when I become angry. But I'm really generally happy with the way I treat others, and I always try to keep in mind to be good to them.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I warn you, many of my philosophies are best described through popular culture.

One example: "If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do." (Angel)
There is nothing suggesting that anything in the universe is planned or of any particular significance. For all we know, we're just overgrown insects, sprawling over a choking world, mating, eating, making waste, and then dying. So how can we find meaning? We make it. Everything we do has to be meaningful in itself, good in itself, making an impact in itself.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
It seems I don't remember talking about mine with others. Like it's there, just not to be called upon until needed. Kind of like 'Do not open till x-mas' labels.

One that remains is 'Light is white, while darkness barks.'

"The greater gift is in giving, not receiving."
Self explanatory. I stopped saying it and started sharing it about halfway through high school. People see me as accepting because of it. I..will go to great lengths to help those in need of my help.

The others are still unspoken.

Reactions: whiterwair

·
Registered
37 Posts
This too shall pass is one my favorites as well, it often really works when I`m having anxiety about something.

I also use money is just numbers a lot, even if most people always carefully make sure to enlighten me about how wrong I am (in their view, at least). :proud:

Another one I often apply is show the world that you CAN live without being an asshat to others and trampling people beneath your feet in order to be successful.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
1.everything is subjective. we call only ever seethings through our eyes and we can onlyl ive by our own ideas
2.there is very little we can know for sure, there are no facts only was of interupting information, knowledge is something we try to use to comfort ourselves as the vast majority of people are afraid of the unknown, you must embrace the mysterious and not seek anwsers to every question
3. Equality means everyone gets the same. fairness means everyone gets what they deserve. we are not equal we are diffrent and balanced more or less. rules and law should still however treat everyone equal
4. Communism. The only way we can prevail is if we stop being greedy and start working together, a system of explotation is unhealthy(no debate please, if you disagree fine!)
5. blame is pointless, and just another thing people use ot ocmfort themselves. there is no fate, luck, karma, or any oher force that is punishing you or hindering you, things just happen there is no defining purpose behind them
6. i am opposed to optimisim. work harder, do more, shoot for the stars, you can do anything.these are all just messages form society telling us to be compete,and they represent a false reality. indeed a positive attitude can help you get by, but in most situation it is pointless.i also dislike pessism but not an intensly, they both present a biased intereptation of reality-take things as they come

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
People, in order to not hurt themselves (physically / psychologically), subconsciously limit their own abilities. Learn when to toss away your inhibitions.

The only time you're above average is when you're inspired.

Sometimes the most honest people about your faults are your enemies. Keep them in tow.

"If you lend someone $20 and you never see that person again it was probably worth it."

Never do a good deed for someone and act like they "owe" you something.

Rival those you believe to be superior, never idolize them as you will hold yourself back.

Anyone who gets in my way, or holds me back, is my enemy.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby

·
Registered
759 Posts
1. I think karmic retribution is real.

2. The more I go with my internal value system and go after what I want in life, the better my life seems to be.

3. Society makes no sense, and their rules are not worth following. I have my own rule book. However, I accept that because I enjoy the advantages I gain from living in society, that I will have to pay the price if I'm ever caught breaking the rules.

4a. My opinions have changed overtime as I learn new information. I realize there is always information I don't know, so I will always keep an open mind no matter how strongly I feel about something. I'll defend and debate someone with those opinions as a way of verifying I'm still right, and I have accepted defeat more than a few times even though it is rare.
4b. I will never bend on freedom and equality.

5. Being kind to people and giving charity, not necessarily money, is a good thing. Making others feel good by holding doors or doing small talk makes me happy if I can brighten their day a bit. I try to be nice to everyone.

6. I try to not get mad over things I can't control and just focus on what I can, but pobody's nerfect.

7. I won't lie to you, but I will withhold information if it will only make a situation get worse. If it is not my place to say something, I will plainly state so. I don't need to get involved in other peoples' stupid drama.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
I may not be able to completely love everyone, but I see good value in people. (Personal self.. sorry for my reserved personality)

Other than that...

Humility is a virtue, but you must balance it with self love and a love for progress.

To truly understand yourself is to truly understand the universe and the Creator.

A true idealist is someone who is willing to step outside of what popular reality normally says and ''just see'' the changes that have to be made.

Injustice is a product of dark human agendas in the disguise of rationalized progresses.

Do not judge a person until you know what it is really like to walk a mile in his or her shoes.

It does not matter if people tell you that you are moving forward or backward - as long as you are going somewhere that you need to be.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I really like to live by "you only live once." We are not guaranteed an afterlife as it's mostly speculation so you might as well try to reach your goals and do what you want in this life. I saw some survey recently where they polled people that were very old and asked them what their biggest regrets were and that was really eye opening for me. A lot of them said they were blinded by money and their job and missed precious events like their children growing up or their true hobbies or interests. I can't think of anything more sad than having major regrets on your deathbed.

Also a big fan of "treat others as you'd like to be treated." Pretty sure it'd be a damn good world if people followed this one. Perhaps a bit boring and the world always has the yin/yang thing, though. One of my favorite things anyone has said about me is that "I don't think there is one person that dislikes you." Man, did that get to me and I strive to never give anyone a reason to hate me. Well, that's in my control anyways.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have."
"This too shall pass." - Gandalf, Lord of the Rings
"When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place."

All of these are personal mottos that I have lived by, but hadn't necessarily voiced outloud until sometime last year. I haven't had a horrible life, but there have been several times where I was very close to giving up. I've picked myself up, with and without assistance and sometimes having to act against the will of people actively trying to keep me down. These situations and events are temporary, my will power is not. I will not quit, and I will do everything in my power to keep anyone else from quitting either.

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas Edison -- Persistence and determination are what set people apart from each other. If something is important to me, then I will not let small things get in the way and I will work on problems for days, weeks, or months at a time in order to solve them. Again, I try to help others in seeing this too.

"Practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty" - This to me is even stronger than do unto others because in this I don't expect anything back whatsoever. I literally and figuratively am giving - and that to me is what do unto others should be, but because there are so many people in our society that do need to see some sort of personal gain from their actions, we cannot have something as pure in the mainstream society. It is up to a small percentage to stand up and act without expecting anything in return.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Wit beyond measure is mans greatest treasure has been my philosophie for years now and treat other the way you would want to be treated.

that is all I could think of :bored:

Reactions: whiterwair and Oryx

·
Registered
453 Posts
Not exactly my philosoply, more like favorite quotes:

What is the future? The future is hope. - Lelouch

Those who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who actually do. - Steve Jobs

1 - 20 of 22 Posts