Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is meant to be a fun topic (probably more for the ladies) so please refrain from the whole "I don't idolize fictional couples blah blah blah."

What are some of the fictional relationships that you like? I browse Tumblr every now and then and I think there is actually a psychological component related to the couples that people ship / anti-ship and personality types. But I'm looking for a bigger pool of participants for my study (you know, my mental study because I'm never actually going to do anything with this information...).

Here are some of mine -

Clark/Lois (Smallville) - I HATE Clark/Lana
Damon/Bonnie (The Vampire Diaries) - I HATE Damon/Elena
Ron/Hermione (Harry Potter) - I can't even hate Harry/Hermione because they never actually existed
Those are the diehard ones (the ones that make me *swoon*)

Others that I like -
Francis/Mary (Reign)
Katniss/Peeta (The Hunger Games)
Rory/Jess (Gilmore Girls)
Michael/Mary (Downton Abbey)
Rick/Michonne (The Walking Dead)
Jane/Rochester (Jane Eyre)
Sakura/Syaoran (Cardcaptor Sakura and all related spin-offs)
Pocahontas/John Rolfe (The New World)
Jane/Michael (Jane The Virgin)
Francis/Claire (House of Cards) WHAT A POWER COUPLE

I don't ship anything on Game of Thrones but I know I HATE Jon/Dany.

I also really enjoy platonic relationships more than romantic ones sometimes -

Merlin/Arthur (Merlin)
Sherlock/Mycroft (BBC's Sherlock) - I don't like Sherlock/Watson and I'm not sure why...
Dexter/Debra (Dexter)
Francis/Sebastian (Reign)
Damon/Stefan (The Vampire Diaries) - before they were ruined
Annie/George (Being Human)

Your turn!

·
Registered
766 Posts
I liked Peter and Elizabeth in White Collar. They just get along. Only one that makes me think of a real relationship.

They had so little friction they made fun of it in the series. "Have you ever seen an actual fight?"

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,430 Posts
While I have seen only a few of these show(s); I have never much stopped to ponder the relationship(s), unless there is heavy emphasis on the romance to which accidentally divorcing it from the (show) seems unlikely, which I tend to skip - well find a bit cheesy when it is some lovey shit happening during the middle of an amazing show -- I remember there are some event(s) where the protagonist falls in love with some 'special one', and I think this actually spoils the plot. Or the characters persona that made them 'them'. For ex; thought Dexter having a 'family' / continuously getting softened up/distracted with female-specimens & 'love' just spoiled his persona. The chase (an untouchable protagonist) is much better than giving in, for myself.

Reading this list, I am thinking. Oh.. they were a "duo". I never noticed. Well. I noticed, but not in that way.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
While I have seen only a few of these show(s); I have never much stopped to ponder the relationship(s), unless there is heavy emphasis on the romance to which accidentally divorcing it from the (show) seems unlikely, which I tend to skip - well find a bit cheesy when it is some lovey shit happening during the middle of an amazing show -- I remember there are some event(s) where the protagonist falls in love with some 'special one', and I think this actually spoils the plot. Or the characters persona that made them 'them'. For ex; thought Dexter having a 'family' / continuously getting softened up/distracted with female-specimens & 'love' just spoiled his persona. The chase (an untouchable protagonist) is much better than giving in, for myself.

Reading this list, I am thinking. Oh.. they were a "duo". I never noticed. Well. I noticed, but not in that way.
I think that about the ones where I mention "I HATE xyz." In that, the romantic pairing actually ruined the characters for me. I think there are some couples that work or make the characters stronger though. For Dexter - yeah! I never cared for his relations with any of the women in the show, in particular, the woman in the last season (who was also a sociopath). But the entire last season was terrible. I only cared about his relationship with Debra. Because his attachment to her was complex and because they outlined in the first episode that Debra was the woman he would choose to love if he could love, which I thought was interesting. They also reinforced his attachment to her at the end of the first season when he stopped his biological brother from killing her and also, in the last episode, when her death was the catalyst for him to abandon his life and turn into a... lumberjack? I think, overall, his love for Debra was evidence of one thing which is - Dexter is NOT a psychopath. And I will take that to my grave. So that's why I listed it. I tend to like relationships that have a lot of substance so that I can analyze it ha.

I think you may have also tapped into the reason why I don't like Sherlock and Watson's friendship in BBC's Sherlock actually...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I liked Peter and Elizabeth in White Collar. They just get along. Only one that makes me think of a real relationship.

They had so little friction they made fun of it in the series. "Have you ever seen an actual fight?"

White Collar is on my list of shows to watch! I'll be on the lookout for this one.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
well, I actually wanted the Hermoine-Harry Potter to be a ship. I am myself a Harry Potter kinda wanna be, and a Hermoine would be perfect for me.

Aside from that, I am racking my brain to think of a show which I enjoyed where a ship would actually make any sense. None comes to mind.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Jim/Pam(The Office)
Joe/Kathleen(You’ve got mail)
FitzSimmons (Agents of Shield)
Darcy/Elizabeth(Pride and Prejudice)
Emma/Knightley(Emma)
Cinder/Kai & Wolf/Scarlet(Lunar Chronicles)
Xander/Cassia(Matched)
Anne/Gilbert(Anne of Green Gables)
Ethne/Durrance(The Four Feathers)

·
Plague Doctor
5,927 Posts
I find it interesting how close my answer is to Catwalk.

First, why would I want to change something designed for entertainment to appeal to my preferences? Second, relationships between two fictional characters can be interesting dynamics to explore (Of Mice and Men, Ana Karinina...), I haven't ever really gotten in to the "'ship" thing.

That said, I liked the way that the relationship between Jordan Catelano and Angela Chase was depicted in My So Called Life.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Amusing as it is, I'm with catwalk and Brightflashes here.
Often times a great series, even movie, can get quite cheesy from the romantic stuff.

That said, I do kinda like the "dynamic" between John Jaqobis and Dutch in killjoys so far.
But also the dynamic in the crew in general. Probably has a lot to do with the humor.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First, why would I want to change something designed for entertainment to appeal to my preferences?
Uh, I'm not trying to CHANGE anything. I'm just asking which fictional couples you liked in shows/books/entertainment. And, of course, the INTJs of the world are taking this question way more seriously than I ever intended for it to be taken. Because, you know, the first sentence of the post apparently just flew over everyone's head.

Also, I'm a writer. So I tend to pay attention to fictional stories / characters, and people's reactions to them.

·
Plague Doctor
5,927 Posts
Uh, I'm not trying to CHANGE anything. I'm just asking which fictional couples you liked in shows/books/entertainment. And, of course, the INTJs of the world are taking this question way more seriously than I ever intended for it to be taken. Because, you know, the first sentence of the post apparently just flew over everyone's head.

Also, I'm a writer. So I tend to pay attention to fictional stories / characters, and people's reactions to them.
Oh no, I didn't mean to say your post offended in ANY way. My IRL friends write fan fiction, see? And while I respect it and all I don't really "get" it. I was just saying in my mind, there's no reason to rewrite it. However, in my friend's minds there is. As far as your question, I know you weren't asking that. I was just supplementing it with a fragment from when my friends were really into that.

I'm sorry if I came off as misinterpreting or answering something that you didn't directly ask. I didn't mean to imply by any means that you meant to pair up people from different shows or whatever. Someone mentioned Hermione and Harry up there and that also got me thinking about it, too.

·
Plague Doctor
5,927 Posts
The Enterprise, duh.
:laughing:

Someone was mentioning in another thread (about type and humor) to name a funny INTJ and I was trying to come up with an example and I just read this and I was like ... all of them. LOL duh!

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
The only ship I participated in was being incredibly against Hermoine and Ronald. I find shipping weird in general, especially when fans do it with real people.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Who are the Admins? Please delete this post. Thanks.
LOL there's no need to delete it.

Uh, I'm not trying to CHANGE anything. I'm just asking which fictional couples you liked in shows/books/entertainment.
I'll go with Game of Thrones:
- Jon and Ygritte. I didn't get mad when she died though, cause it's GOT.
- Tyrion and Daenerys. I don't know if this is a popular one but I ship them.
- Brienne of Tarth and Tormund! Yessssss, get together, beat each other up and f**k :p.

And I really liked Ron and Hermiony at first but I got bored of it after nothing happened on the 4th movie. At that moment it was obvious the author just wanted to keep the romantic tension until the final book, but it didn't feel realistic.

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,430 Posts
I think that about the ones where I mention "I HATE xyz." In that, the romantic pairing actually ruined the characters for me. I think there are some couples that work or make the characters stronger though. For Dexter - yeah! I never cared for his relations with any of the women in the show, in particular, the woman in the last season (who was also a sociopath). But the entire last season was terrible. I only cared about his relationship with Debra. Because his attachment to her was complex and because they outlined in the first episode that Debra was the woman he would choose to love if he could love, which I thought was interesting. They also reinforced his attachment to her at the end of the first season when he stopped his biological brother from killing her and also, in the last episode, when her death was the catalyst for him to abandon his life and turn into a... lumberjack? I think, overall, his love for Debra was evidence of one thing which is - Dexter is NOT a psychopath. And I will take that to my grave. So that's why I listed it. I tend to like relationships that have a lot of substance so that I can analyze it ha....
Lul. Dexter™ such a cheesy character.

However, I can understand the interest in the psychological complexities of relationship(s) between sociopaths and non-sociopaths.

--

On another cue, Ron and Herm have 0 chemistry. None of the character(s) did. At all. Neither on paper or screen. Not sure why Rowling made them a thing.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Sonic/Sally. Sorry, that was the only one I could think of that was worth noting on a scale of “somewhat impassioned about it” and there were other explored couples for that franchise. Even though I was 8 or something.

I think it was more that Sally was my hero. :frown-new: Can I ship Sally/universe?

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Lul. Dexter™ such a cheesy character.

However, I can understand the interest in the psychological complexities of relationship(s) between sociopaths and non-sociopaths.

--

On another cue, Ron and Herm have 0 chemistry. None of the character(s) did. At all. Neither on paper or screen. Not sure why Rowling made them a thing.
She warmed my hating heart a few years ago by calling the Ron/Hermoine thing a mistake. I think she said she was reliving some lost love or whatever and gave into fan demands by pairing off the characters so abruptly.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Can an infp answer? Hihihihi

I am a super fan and shipper of Kenshin and Kaoru from Rurouni Kenshin. Uber fan here! I even created fan fiction stories about them and read tons of fan fictions.

Four and Tris from Divergent
Erza and Jellal from Fairy Tail

For friendships, i ship Prof Xavier and Magneto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts