Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ISTJ dad is going through a divorce and is having to sell his house. He's been talking about moving into an apartment, and I may move in with him. By the way, any ISTJ/ISTP parent-child relationships here?

Anyway, I'm completely comfortable with apartment living. I like how carefree and non-committal it is. If something goes wrong, it's somebody else's job to fix it. I've had my gripes about the neighbors, but I don't really care that much. I could hear every time my neighbors on the left had sex and when they watched television on the right. A lady underneath me had a little yappy dog I joked about shooting everyday. So, sure, the noise is there, but it doesn't get to me 99% of the time.

My dad, on the other hand, is very concerned about his peace and quiet. He is also uptight about the space. He has already drafted on the computer every apartment and inserted his furniture to scale to see how it will fit. Must. Be. Efficient.

Whatever.

Anyway, he knows that moving into an apartment, temporarily, is the best solution. At least, I think. I'm all gung-ho about it and he's dragging his feet, mopey-fied. He's like the eighth dwarf. So, how do I... I don't know... make him comfortable with it? Can I do anything to like, get him excited about the living situation? :laughing:

Reactions: niss

·
Registered
31 Posts
You can try contacting the local Police Department where y'all are planning to live and ask them about the crime stats for the apartment complexes. They keep stats of how often they respond to each complex for various crimes and noise disturbances. Speaking from my experience, each city should have a couple complexes that are run by good management that does not tolerate repeated visits by the police to the same apartment over and over.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Yeah, it's change and he ain't gonna like it much. Give him about thirty days after the move and he'll finally adjust. That's just the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
426 Posts
My dad, on the other hand, is very concerned about his peace and quiet. He is also uptight about the space. He has already drafted on the computer every apartment and inserted his furniture to scale to see how it will fit. Must. Be. Efficient.
I didn't do very well in an apartment either. If it wasn't one neighbour, it was another... then there were the cars and the football stadium just around the corner, the pub down the road and the construction sites next door and over the back. Thankfully I only stayed there for 3 months as I was successful in applying for a duplex in a quieter street and with lovely neighbours. Ear plugs and an mp3 player may be a good investment. I know it's annoying having something in your ears all the time, but they might help give him a chance to "tune out" the others noises.

Anyway, he knows that moving into an apartment, temporarily, is the best solution. At least, I think. I'm all gung-ho about it and he's dragging his feet, mopey-fied. He's like the eighth dwarf. So, how do I... I don't know... make him comfortable with it? Can I do anything to like, get him excited about the living situation? :laughing:
Positives? Well... you get to decorate to your own taste... you get to pick what you watch on TV... listen to the music you like... get the idea? :wink:

Yeah, it's change and he ain't gonna like it much. Give him about thirty days after the move and he'll finally adjust. That's just the nature of the beast.
Change?! Yuck, yuck, yuck! :frustrating:

I found it much easier & faster to settle into this place than last time as I visited every few days for a week or so before I moved in (either on the way to or from work - collecting mail, putting out bins, visualising layouts, planning the move, etc). I also spent 2 hours with my Mum there while I did the initial condition report the day after I collected the keys. It made it more a transition instead of a sudden jump from one place to the next.

I hope everything works out well for you and your family!

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses y'all. They help me understand him a little bit better. Because, really, I'm all "Change, WOO! This'll be an adventure!", and he's all... :frustrating: I just feel like he's being way too soft about this whole thing. I mean, it's a great apartment. Sure, it's no house and he'll have to make some sacrifices, but I feel like he's making it out to be worse than it is. I really do want to be supportive, though.

Reactions: Sela and niss

·
Banned
1,158 Posts
personally, i think it would be fine. partly because no one could come to my door and bother me and partly because theres no godamn lawn work and no godamn driveway to shovel. all i really need is a roof, electricity, running water and 8X12 of free space.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
all i really need is a roof, electricity, running water and 8X12 of free space.
That's pretty much what I have. I measured my room to be 10x15, and that's with a full-size bed, desk, and some cabinets :tongue:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts