Personality Cafe banner

What Are Your Thoughts on Traveling?

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I've spent my adult life traveling. Sometimes around the country, more often around the world. I'm currently traveling SE Asia this spring, despite the fact that I have no money, but I'm planning on studying (grad school) in the UK this autumn (I'm originally from the US). I've had pages added twice to my passport--like seriously, it holds up visa processing when they see the sheer tangle of visas past. It creates suspicion when I come back to the US...sigh.

I wouldn't say I travel for the sake of traveling, though. I travel because there are things I want to do or see in thus-and-such a country. I fear flying (I know the plane won't crash, it's just an annoying form of travel). Moving around is a pain. I do it because I perceive some benefit from it--generally, getting to try something new. Add to that the fact that I have family in different places around the world...

I'm actually getting tired of this in middle age. I want to come home, dammit! But my nature propels me ever forward.

Yep, I'm not rich like you say. I'm proudly "global middle class" (unemployed and starving by American standards). That's it. You don't have to be rich to travel; I've met people who work all year to buy a plane ticket and then hitchhike, couchsurf, and eat crap food all the time to get by. Never let your circumstances hold you back.

Anyway, it will come as no surprise, but I think anyone who wants to travel should try. If you don't think you have the money, well, I've seen evidence to the contrary. You probably can, and if you're willing to go low key, you should--it gives you perspective, teaches you new things, and pushes you beyond what you thought was possible (in a good way). Don't let anything hold you back.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,226 Posts
I am a homebody, but I do like traveling to places for a reason - either seeing someone or if it's a place that is really beautiful or that I have an interest in. I love flying and being in air-ports. I like seeing scenery go by in a car. I don't mind the cramped space of many modes of travel.

However, I don't get stir crazy like a need to go other places, and I really dislike sleeping anywhere but my own bed because most of the time it's just not comfortable.

·
Banned
3,806 Posts
I don't like being home.

I have all these things I think I want to do when I get home but then I get there and lose all motivation. I don't know home just isn't a positive concept for me.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm okay with traveling but do find it stressful (planning, sleeping in unfamiliar places, the new system of public transport, etc.).

Besides that, it depends on who you travel with or meet along the way. One of my history major friends is the best to travel with, because we discuss the political climate of the country, as well as its past. Seeing Paris with him on my birthday weekend was one of the greatest joys in my life!

When I'm thinking about foreign countries, I usually get super excited about the food! Yum! I like to know about the history as well.

There are of course downsides to traveling (places losing their essence to become tourist traps, the acceleration of global warming through flying planes). I think that it's important to limit how much you travel and sometimes books and trying out foreign recipes is a cozy substitute.

This is one of my favourite quotes from Roald Dahl's Matilda:
“The books transported her into new worlds and introduced her to amazing people who lived exciting lives. She went on olden-day sailing ships with Joseph Conrad. She went to Africa with Ernest Hemingway and to India with Rudyard Kipling. She travelled all over the world while sitting in her little room in an English village.”

·
Banned
800 Posts
I'd like to've never been where I am. Other than that, I'm not particularly aware of anywhere I'd want to go. "The journey" always sucks, and what little experience I have destinations do too. Same patterns everywhere forever.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
I literally have a travel blog called "Impulsive Traveler Guy." I am also the travel guy for work. I probably drive around 50,000 miles a year traveling all over. I'm actually off for a month now and will be traveling over 7,000 miles to the Midwest and Canada. My last road trip a little bit ago was around 5,000 miles and was to the ends of the US and beyond: https://www.impulsivetravelerguy.com/ends-united-states-beyond/

If I could, I'd travel all the time.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I really enjoy traveling. I like seeing new things, going to new places and trying activities that I've never done before. I also like to learn about different cultures. But I really dislike things like airports and long airplane flights. Some flights take so many hours and I feel so uncomfortable.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
I really enjoy traveling. I like seeing new things, going to new places and trying activities that I've never done before. I also like to learn about different cultures. But I really dislike things like airports and long airplane flights. Some flights take so many hours and I feel so uncomfortable.
I hate flying. I'd rather drive. Actually, today I'll start my 1300 mile from Texas to Wisconsin.

·
King of Swing
8,790 Posts
I'd like to travel for better experiences.

Like rock climbing in hot weather.

Hiking out in a rain forest.

All Bear Grylls stuff, so I'll end up travelling for it. I chose get out as much as possible.

·
Registered
9,885 Posts
I consider myself in the middle.

I like it but I think I am practical about it. I have places I desire to go and make it a point to make those things happen but I also focus on my nest firstly.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
My feeling(s) about traveling are pretty mixed. On one side I feel it's expensive, exhausting, time-consuming, and stressful... but at the same time, it can be a really rewarding experience that allows you to learn more about the world and other cultures. I don't really see the point of going to 'relaxing' vacations though, because I'm most comfortable at home. If I'm going to travel, it has to be to experience something I simply couldn't back home, not to just chill around at the beach or hotel.

My favourite trip was to the Netherlands, it was worth it just for the old architecture, specifically the Cathedrals. I'm a sucker for gothic architecture.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Or just throw a dart at the map and go. If you have a car, smartphone, and a credit or debit card, you're pretty much set.
I'm pretty sure this would freak me out and I would end up not enjoying it all, or end up compulsively making a list on the way to the airport, plus where I live isn't large enough to travel like that, in order to leave the island you must do it by plane or by the ocean

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
I'm pretty sure this would freak me out and I would end up not enjoying it all, or end up compulsively making a list on the way to the airport, plus where I live isn't large enough to travel like that, in order to leave the island you must do it by plane or by the ocean
The more you do it the easier it becomes. One of my first adventures I actually hopped the Canadian border without a passport: https://www.impulsivetravelerguy.com/no-passport-no-problem-in-thunder-bay-now/

41 - 60 of 76 Posts