Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ISTJs.

I grew up in the household with a dad who was very much an ISTJ (we've clashed a few times in recent years because we don't view things the same way, but we're still very close! :proud:). Growing up, he's always told me about his views on alcohol (compared to my mom who likes to enjoy some every now and then).

To him, he isn't interested in alcohol at all. For one, he doesn't like the taste, but it also doesn't make sense to him why he should drink it. He doesn't see the point in buying alcohol to just get drunk to pass out/vomit on everything, and then not remember anything the next day other than that "he had a blast," leaving his friends to clean up anything (a position he was in several times throughout college). And since he doesn't like the taste of alcohol, he doesn't see the point in casually buying some to have around the house to have every now and then.

So, what are all of your views on alcohol? Do you not see the point in it? Do you like to casually drink every now and then? Is getting super drunk the only way to go? :tongue:

For me (even though I'm not ISTJ), I don't see the point of drinking just to drink. The only time I'll probably drink is when I'm relaxing at home with friends, and we might enjoy a glass of wine or something. I guess my dad rubbed off on my pretty well (but I've got the social aspect from my mom :wink:). :happy:

·
Registered
647 Posts
I hate the taste. I've tried various things and hated them all.

When I was very young my Dad was hit by a drunk driver. I was very scared because when Mom brought him home he fainted in the parking lot and she had to carry/drag him in. He was lucky to be alive and his back has never been right since.

So I'm not against people enjoying it responsibly but I hate people who drink just to get smashed and do stupid things (like driving). This isn't something I tolerate at all.

·
Registered
796 Posts
As with just about everything else, as long as you aren't forcing it on anyone else, harming another person with your actions (whether on purpose or not), and you remain able to keep to your responsibilities, it's all good.

When it comes to drinking specifically, what bugs me more than people that drink all the time are the people that feel whenever the subject is brought up they need to voice their opinion as if it's the only one that matters. I know a girl that constantly goes on and on about how much she hates drinking because her aunt is an alcoholic and everyone is going end up like her and yadda yadda bitch bitch. Her mother drinks about once a month and that's the end of the 'effing world.

Albeit this is the same girl that freaked out when I asked her about a tattoo I'm thinking of getting. She said "Well, if you ever want to be a mom you shouldn't get it." What? I pointed out that she loves my mother and she has like 7. I asked her why and she just said "I just don't like it, it's not right. I don't really know why." I told her that I'll start taking her opinion seriously when she learns about something I like to endearingly refer to as 'logical reasoning'.

Anyway, that's a total tangent and you can ignore it, my point is that to me, it's not really a matter of what my opinion on it is (or anyone else's, for that matter), it's more about whether or not I'm allowed to have that opinion without someone trying to shove it back down my throat.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Alcohol...the topic of many Country/Western songs. For me, my abstinence of alcohol has to do with self-control more than taste. There are other reasons: addiction in the family and one too many of my friends in college had their lives altered drastically after getting plastered. That being said, I don't tromp around telling people they shouldn't drink. My current group of friends all drink socially/casually and I'm fine with it as they are with my decision. They're fairly conservative and cut themselves off at 2-3 drinks, but this has to do with their religious convictions more than their MBTI.

While I won't tell people not to drink, I have no problem telling them to get a cab, call a friend who is sober, and for my friends to call me if I'm not with them. Very few things will set me off quicker than drinking and driving.

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
I have a sip occasionally, it can be relaxing and nice. Very rare that I get stinking drunk - and NEVER to the point of vomiting/passing out.

I have too much respect for my body to become a binge-drinker. Plus I've seen it too much, here in NZ. Yuck, zombies.

·
Registered
738 Posts
None for me thanks.
* I dont like the taste.
* I dont like the idea of having looser lips than I already have.
* I dont like anything even slightly mind altering.
* I can act like an idiot just fine without it.
* I grab some water and say its vodka if I have to be at a party.
* It cost more money than water and I'm poor enoungh as it is.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My thoughts / stance are: I love to drink, but who really drinks it for the taste? :)

I'm in my mid 30s, so I have some experience I will babble on about. Hope it helps.

Its Bad stuff. First of all, its bad stuff for you, and the proof is in the next morning. It really works your body hard to processes it. And when drinking for more than 3 days in a row, you will experience depression type feelings. (For me its that "nothing is entertaining" feeling)

How I drink. I drink on the weekends, and some weekends even binge drink when friends are over. I always treat it like a science project or something. For example I use the same size shot in each rum and coke, always taking note of how many I have had and adjusting water intake to always reach that perfect feeling with out going over. I always note the alcohol %, and take note that changing alcohol types dramaticly change how quickly your liver can processes it. Example, the more of one brand/type you drink, the more it takes. It takes about 2 weeks for your liver to reset. Switching brands/type is a whole new experience for your liver sometimes, leading to too much drinking.

Summery of %'s. 1 Shot = 1 Beer. 1 Shot = 1 glass of wine. Mixed drinks (2 or more alcohol are a big NO NO NO)

No hangovers! Before bed after drinking, be sure to take a multivitamin and down 2 cups of water, your liver will need it all and then some. Salt and fruit juice the next morning if you do have a headache.

Behavior Types while drunk. Important to keep in mind, each person will reach a different drunk behavior. I am thankful that I am a quiet drunk, the more I drink, the more calm I get, until I disappear to bed. My roommate becomes the huggy totally uncontrollable type "i love you man". One of my nephews becomes the instant ill pass out type, while his brother becomes the wild run around with out a shirt type. The worst is the violent or emotional drunk. KNOW YOUR FRIENDS/FAMILY TYPE! It may end up being your job to keep them safe.

Important to note, when drinking with friends/family keep in mind: In vino veritas, meaning in wine there is truth - If you drink socially, you will talk, and private info can easily come out.

Ok I'm done. :)

·
Registered
933 Posts
I really need all my senses about me now that I think about it. Well,may Dad was a alcoholic and had to get cleaned out. My brother is in the same situation. He will need medical supervision to get off the bottle.

I hate the smell of beer to this day after being scared in the car late at night tapping Dad on the shoulder to keep him on the right side of the road. He had spent part of the day teaching me the "rules of the road" and it came in handy. I was only 7.

I suspect my Dad is a ISTJ. He hasn`t had a drink in more than 20 years. I promised him I would never drink when I was 12 and I still have no desire to drink.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
You guys are no fun. While I don't drink often, I do very much enjoy the magical elixir when the occasion can be enhanced by it. I generally enjoy it most when in social situations because it calms my nerves and allows me to relax. As far as a stopping point, I usually aim to keep myself hovering around the line separating buzzed and drunk.

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
For some reason, I'm surprised by this trend in ISTJs. Very interesting how many are not geared towards alchohol as a recreational tool.

Personally, I've never had a drink and never plan to. I like to be in full control of my faculties, plus I've never seen the benefits (grew with MAJOR alcoholics in the family).

I don't mind other people drinking, but will not hang around if people get raging drunk. That's just a babysitting job waiting to happen (and I've had enough of those for a lifetime).

That being said, heaven forbid anyone drunk try and get into a car in front of me. I do not tolerate that crap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't drink, though I don't go around telling people that drinking sucks or anything. It's just that I don't like the taste and the smell (I think it was beer that I smelled and revolted on) and there's a high probability that I might say/do something unbelievably stupid/I'll regret later on.

A bigger concern I have on alcohol though is the shift of behavior/personality that it brings to some people. Some people I know (especially my dad) becomes much, much nicer when under the influence and it. freaks. me out. :frustrating:

·
THE IRON GIANT
10,129 Posts
My father was an alcoholic and he allowed it to destroy his life. I'm not going to roll the dice on what appears to be a genetic disposition.

For the longest time I also found anyone who drank at all repellent. Now I can go to parties and see people drinking and drunk without having to leave in a self-righteous huff.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
My relationship with alcohol = unrequited love.

I would if I could, because I tend to be a happy drunk... right up until the point where I quietly become a passed-out drunk. Hereditary low alcohol metabolism is a sad thing (I'm looking at you, Dad!)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts