Personality Cafe banner

What are your turn-offs?

7K views 127 replies 76 participants last post by  TranscendingEnlightenment 
#1 ·
For me it goes from turned offed, to there's a very slim chance, to a snowballs chance in hell.

Just cause something turns me off doesn't mean I will write a girl off. But She'd better be special.
SJ's turn me off. I don't know why. But something about Sensing Judging types tends to rub me the wrong way.
Over weight and/or out of shape. I work out every day and am definitely not attracted to fat chicks. It's a sign of laziness to me.

Very slim chances.
Cruelty towards others.
Laughing at other people's misfortune.
Talking bad about the homeless and showing a lack of understanding.

Snowballs chance in hell.
Girl I've met before who I asked out, that lied to me and said she wasn't looking for a relationship only to date someone else she met three days ago. I've run into girls who've done that and found out their relationship with guy they knew for three days didn't work out. Then they ask me out. "hahahaha. No" is an appropriate response in this situation I think.

Racism. A girl who shows any sign of racism is immediately crossed off my list of potential candidates.
Sexist views: e.g. I saw a girl crying at a party cause some guy punched her in the face. I asked why he hit her in the face "Cause I hit him in the face, and punched him in the throat, and tried to kick out his knee's. But I'm a girl and guys shouldn't hit girls." I don't condone violence, but if someone punched me in the face, and the throat, and tried to kick out my knee's I'd swing back since clearly they aren't going to stop and I need to defend myself.

Trying to get me to buy things for them: If a girl tries milking me for money she's instantly off my list.

See less See more
#2 ·
Beer Bellies. Wont even consider a guy who has stomach the size of saturn

Smell. Dude wear deodorant; cant stand the smell or look of sweat.

Doesnt like animals. I love dogs. There is something about non animal lovers which rub me the wrong way

Whiners and complainers. Perhaps it the ENTJ, but grow up and get over it already

#6 ·
Yup... pretty much all turn-offs to me too.
Can't really stand when people hate animals.

Any sign of hygiene deficit. That in itself incorporates approximately a bajillion things.

Willful ignorance or stupidity.

Use of the words "bro", "YOLO", or anything like that.

Cruelty in any way.

Blondes. I guess it's not a turn off per se, they just don't do much for me.

Those stupid MMA shirts. Tapout or something? Studded or rhinestoned jeans. Basically a guy who cares more about fashion than I do (which is little). Not to be confused with style.

A guy who spends too much time checking/staring at his phone.
I don't mind mma or tapout shirts. But people who're obsessed with it are a little irritating. I watch my fair share of mma [okay, only if it's on and I'm around] and do martial arts. I'm just annoyed with people who's lives revolve around it. And I think tapout shirts are funny cause tapping out is forfeiting the match. So their slogan is basically "Give up.". Makes me chuckle a little bit. Mostly guys do all of this and I'm a heterosexual guy so it's not really a concern.

But those girls that're into WWE [formerly known as wwf] I absolutely refuse to date and am uninterested in them completely. Well, there was one chick I knew who liked to watch wrestling because she thought it was funny, but she wasn't as delusionally into it as most of the sports fans are.

Ignorance. See, I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box, but I try to keep learning. I hate it when guys are just.. So shallow.
Same here with girls.

Abundance of indifference
same.

#3 ·
Any sign of hygiene deficit. That in itself incorporates approximately a bajillion things.

Willful ignorance or stupidity.

Use of the words "bro", "YOLO", or anything like that.

Cruelty in any way.

Blondes. I guess it's not a turn off per se, they just don't do much for me.

Those stupid MMA shirts. Tapout or something? Studded or rhinestoned jeans. Basically a guy who cares more about fashion than I do (which is little). Not to be confused with style.

A guy who spends too much time checking/staring at his phone.

#10 ·
Laziness is gross and a major turn off to me.
So is being fat. Eating less and working out [also known as hard work] will prevent a person from being fat. Also someone who works out and eats less displays they have a level of self control that a fat person doesn't have. And fat people are generally less attractive physically than someone in shape. Also skinny people may be more attractive than fat people but they're still less attractive than healthy people who work out.

And of course you wouldn't hold it against anyone else if they were fat while you're also fat. Personally I don't see any problems having fat friends and all that, but I'm not at all attracted to it. Then again I put in work to stay in shape and I like to do active things like climbing trees, hiking, jogging, etc.. A fat person isn't going to want to do this with me. Or wont be able to. Some of my over weight friends will come hang out with me while I'm in the woods with some of my friends who aren't over weight. The in shape friends will want to go climb up the side of a steep hill and then into a tree and hang out up there. The fat out of shape friends will slow us down and try to convince us to stay with them on there ground. To be polite a lot of the time we'll stick around with the out of shape friends... but we really want to go climb that hill and into that tree and sticking to the ground is pretty boring.

ADHD... that's not something you can help and/or change. You can work on it and all that, but you can't just stop being adhd. So I'm not inclined to be judgmental about a person who has this. I don't really find it unattractive though [don't find it attractive either]. I try to be fair about things people have no control over, but I'm still unattracted to SJ's and tend to not get along with them.

#21 ·
I have high testosterone I'm told. If ones ring finger is larger than their index finger it's a sign of higher levels of testosterone. In me this extra level seems to manifest its self in my desire for sports and competitive nature. Despite always wanting to win and doing my best to play a great game of tennis, soccer, monopoly, street fighter, go kart racing, or anything competitive I am a good sport and despise shit talking. I also take it easy if someone is new or not very good at whatever it is we're doing. I still prefer a worthy opponent in even the little things like dots, tick tac toe (not so complex), four square even.

#13 ·
Poor Hygiene: Seriously, people, keep it clean.
Trying to be cool: I'd rather someone be dorky and silly, than someone who tries too hard to impress me
Stupidity: Nothing is sexier than witty banter. If you can't banter wittily, don't even bother.

I've noticed multiple people say "overweight" as a turn off. Honestly, I think someone can still be attractive and overweight. As long as they keep up with their hygiene and don't smell weird. A big brain will help, too.

#18 ·
How is it mean to find laziness as a turn off.
also how is it mean to think fat people are gross with all the fat in their bodies that they could prevent from being there (how many fat people are in Africa? Why is it they're at that percentage? It surely isn't fast metabolisms or working hypothalamus glands... ). This is a standard I have, no fat chicks. Being fat means your too lazy to monitor what you eat or work out and youre unhealthy. Which is your fault. It says a lot about you if your fat.

Saying I'm not into that isn't mean

#16 ·
I'd have to say the most unattractive thing to me is the bulked up, exercise for a living, overly confident, under-educated, think-they-can-pick-up-any-girl type of men. Especially when they try to draw attention to themselves by being super loud in public/talking down to the under confident friend in the group to establish themselves as alpha-male. As a smart girl someone would need to be much more than a wallet and muscles to impress me!

On the flipside, I find nerdy guys really hot. :D

#19 ·
I was sort of joking.
I just thought it was a bit funny how you don't like cruelty toward others but you're talking so rude about people who might be a little overweight, that's all. I think it's fine to set standards and I agree to some extent but people of all shapes and sizes can have the right personality regardless of their looks.
I wasn't make some huger personal attack lol

#22 ·
I'm also not attracted to fat people... at all, but I think it's important to remember a few things: some people truly are attracted to fat people, and that's great, love is a great thing.
and sometimes, certain coping mechanisms are used when people are faced with stress, and with a decent supply of food, someone could easily fall into using food to cope with whatever it is that may be hurting them. my personal coping mechanism is shutting off from people and immersing myself in music for prolonged periods. to each their own.
its also totally possible to be fat, yet still healthy. regular cardio workouts may not be enough to completely shed off the pounds, yet it's keeping the heart in good shape.
i do worry for the obese, though.

tl;dr go fatties, fat lovers, and everyone in between.
(this post isn't really directed at anyone, I just wanted to share my feels and thoughts)

#24 ·
Stupidity is the only one I am unmoving on.

Also; skinny women. Women who are nearly featureless because of their skinnyness.You can have boobs and a butt and still be a twig. It's weird that your calves and your thighs are nearly the same size. Eat a cheese-burger, or twelve. Even that has it's exceptions though.

#29 ·
turn offs/snow balls chance in hell: superficiality, cruelty, lack of understanding, close-mindedness, conventionality, lack of spontaneity/originality/quirkiness, and stupidity (Jesus, I can't TELL you guys how many stupid conversations I've had to sit through; it's like they mull over their innermost thoughts for EVERYONE to see/hear, and worse yet, they're about NOTHING!! i was so indifferent to the guy this one time, when I was asked what I thought I just smiled, or changed the subject, I was drunk so the smiling thing came easily THANK GOD! :laughing:) weakness/neediness/dependence, and the lack of life experience...I can't stand people that form judgements based on limited, or at best FLAWED data and don't even TRY to get informed on what they open their pieholes about, this goes hand in hand with stupidity....

I usually try to see a person for their strengths but I can see their weaknesses too; All I can say is, nobodies perfect, and I'm hoping whoever I get with will be the guy that I choose because I can tolerate his weaknesses because I love his strengths.

#35 · (Edited)
- out of shape
- when they just lay there and moan, I feel like I'm doing something illegal.
- closemindedness
- they have to be somewhat intellegent. (I once dated a chick who thought indiana was inbetween new york and texas, unable to tell if she was joking or not I politely exclaimed it is actually inbetween illinois and ohio... she was completely lost and thought chicago was a state and had never herd of michigan)

- another turn off for me is when girls don't accept a compliment and say something like "oh your too nice" or worse disagree. As an istp I don't exactly hand them out, not trying to sound like an ass. Like I subconsiosly notice she is good looking and assume they already know or something like that. So if I do give her a compliment whatever it may be, it really caught my attention to make me want to express my thought. A smile and a thank you go a long ways. Or even better, a totally blankstare and hold it and lean in for a kiss. That caught me off gaurd a little.

I guess why give them if they aren't appriciated, istp compliments are very truely meant. And please don't shoot a compliment straight back unless its meant.

#63 ·
- out of shape
- when they just lay there and moan, I feel like I'm doing something illegal.
- closemindedness
- they have to be somewhat intellegent. (I once dated a chick who thought indiana was inbetween new york and texas, unable to tell if she was joking or not I politely exclaimed it is actually inbetween illinois and ohio... she was completely lost and thought chicago was a state and had never herd of michigan)

- another turn off for me is when girls don't accept a compliment and say something like "oh your too nice" or worse disagree. As an istp I don't exactly hand them out, not trying to sound like an ass. Like I subconsiosly notice she is good looking and assume they already know or something like that. So if I do give her a compliment whatever it may be, it really caught my attention to make me want to express my thought. A smile and a thank you go a long ways. Or even better, a totally blankstare and hold it and lean in for a kiss. That caught me off gaurd a little.

I guess why give them if they aren't appriciated, istp compliments are very truely meant. And please don't shoot a compliment straight back unless its meant.
:unsure:

#36 ·
My hugest turnoff is probably ditziness. It's an even bigger turnoff than flat-out stupidity, which is odd, considering that most of the ditzy girls I know are actually very, very smart. But the ditziness is just... obnoxious.

I also tend not to like women who are overtly/stereotypically masculine (for that matter, I don't like to associate with men who are overtly masculine, either). I'm talking burping, farting, scratching, posturing/machismo, giving a rat's ass about sports, etc.

Ever having been part of a college sorority of any kind.

Rudeness, ignorance (especially willful ignorance), being grossly overweight, drinking to excess, being a partier, being religious (see willful ignorance), wanting kids, trying to engage me in conversation about TV shows, wearing too much makeup/being obsessed with fashion, only looking for sex, not liking books.

#37 ·
#38 ·
Biggest turn off - an ugly mind.

I would class your mind as ugly if your mind allows you to be malicious, hubristic, narcissistic, cruel, rude, aggressive or downright stupid on a regular basis. Body types? Pffff, I'm not going to have a deal breaker based on bodies and body types, because (generally) if you date someone, you obviously like them a little. So you're not gonna think they're hideous beasts released from a GM zoo. Anyhow, people are pretty much their brains IMO, make that part sexy and I'll never have eyes for another :wink:.

#39 ·
-sweaty
-smelly (especially bad breath)
-nasty teeth
-over weight/out of shape
-gross hair
-too much body hair
-bad facial hair
-lazy
-close minded
-jerk
-animal hater
-child hater
-creepy
-stalkerish
-controlling (especially since I'm very stubborn and "do my own thing" type)
-jerkish
-selfish
-irresponsible
-immature
-bullying
-clingy
-jealous
-dumb
-vain

Reactions: milti
#42 ·
Wow.
Okay, people focus on weight altogether too much. For what its worth, I don't consider height or weight variations much of a difference when I like someone. I have dated chubby boys and I loved how cuddly and snuggly they were. They're also more gentle (in my experience) and it's always nice to have less bones knocking against each other. :tongue: Also I'm not a very great eater, so if they're willing to finish something I started eating, then I like them more. Actually I never cared about a guy's weight in the least bit. I guess the only turn off I really REALLY think about is bad hygiene. Bad breath, sweaty, etc. are immediate turn offs. Also, a guy trying too much to impress me. I like it if they have some level of intelligence or there's some common ground with me (whatever that may be). I hate guys who are pushy, arrogant and think they're a gift to womankind. I hate misogynists. I don't like male chauvinists at ALL and will stay a mile from them. I like gentleness and going slow and being soft and gentle, so aggressive guys or guys who only want sex and want it now! - they're a total turn off.
I actually don't like guys whose sexual identity is their only identity, guys who brag about how many people they've been with, etc. I once dated a bisexual who would regale me with all the facts about his dating and sex life, and I would beg him to shut up.
And bad teeth. I HATE unhealthy teeth, or rather a guy with a beautiful smile always gets my attention. :happy:
I don't like it very much when a guy doesn't like animals/doesn't make an effort to understand why I love them.
I'm not very fond of guys who mock about things I believe in. Unless they're doing it just to tease me. :tongue:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.