Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are certain things the test doesnt cover, but i just dont know yet. Theoretically, if i were to meet someone who answered the questions exactly i did, i would bet that we were still very different people, but how would i be different? Any of the differences i would have with him would be because they were not reflected on the test. So what aspects of you personality do you think the MBTI test didn't cover?

·
Registered
957 Posts
There are certain things the test doesnt cover, but i just dont know yet. Theoretically, if i were to meet someone who answered the questions exactly i did, i would bet that we were still very different people, but how would i be different? Any of the differences i would have with him would be because they were not reflected on the test. So what aspects of you personality do you think the MBTI test didn't cover?
I'm really not sure, because I don't consider myself an expert on MBTI by any means. But theoretically, it would all depend on environmental and sociological factors right? Because someone who is an INFP in America is going to think about things completely differently than an INFP born in Africa.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Acey I have a degree in psych. MBTI is only one way of explaining our personality. Other famous ones are noted below:

Big Five personality traits - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

16PF Questionnaire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are behavioral explanations, cognitive ones, humanistic views, and my favorite, psychoanalytic theories.

Freud's psychoanalytic theory saw personality as a struggle between the irrational and childish part of the mind and the rational and planful part. This causes anxiety. And the different way each of us handles this anxiety creates our personality. This is a real oversimplified explanation but that's the gist of it. Freud's view is more dynamic as opposed to the MBTI view. With MBTI you might get confused because you may act more INTP one day or in one situation and more ISTJ in another. These other theories try to tell you when and where you act that way. But they're more complicated.

·
Registered
712 Posts
MBTI doesn't cover people's motivation. Why do they act the way they do? What exactly is driving them?

The enneagram system attempts to uncover that. Although it isn't as critically acclaimed as MBTI, I find that combining a person's MBTI and Enneagram results gives you a much better description of a person.

And then on top of that you have socialization - where a person grew up, who and what were their influences, their economic situation - which creates a myriad of differences between people. No person in the world has been through exactly the same experiences, and even if they had, their genetic hard wiring would be different so they would perceive each of those same experiences in a different way.

And that's before you factor in all the unconscious processes going on that Freudian psychoanalysis is so adept at uncovering. All that warring between the id and the superego.

And then after all that there's spirituality - a person's belief about what lies beyond the social construct of the ego and personality.

Among other things :happy:

·
Registered
95 Posts
The test gives, regardless of what it says, tendencies and what you're inclined to do based on what you did on the test ; Aka it's a mirroring what you put down to tell you what you are or likely to do.

I have been to Spain, Haiti, and many of the African countries. Everyone has a "theory" or "reason" why things work or why people do what they do. While it is good information to find reason (such as from the test), you can only go so far with it before it becomes repititious. If you eat the same food, everyday for the rest of your life, you will die. You cannot dispute that. No growth and change = death.

The only thing that is bugging me is that, with everything I have learned from the different cultures and customs, no one has "the drive" to do something or rather "become" something past what they percieve to be the horizon. People are insecure, want to be sheparded by whatever religion and cut themselves with the very power that makes them strong. There is so much misplaced energy that it's not even funny. Yet, throughout everything, no one has the concept "to change and become" or change their situation. They sit, complain and whine about their external and internal issues. And yes, these are the same people that if you offered them 1 mill $$$, that they would indeed reject it (even if it was in their hands.)

I left home for this very reason to change and achieve my dream...and it paid off. I found out, on the ground, what people can be capable of and what they can do when they really put their mind into it. The world is a very rich place, yet no one wants to grow. They want to suffer and die instead. I know why, and completely emphathize with the fear of change. Yet, if your side of the fence is really that shitty, would you not go to see if the grass "really" is greener on the other side. My animation teacher whipped our asses in High School if we sat and complained about a problem with no plan or action to fix it.

I won't go judge, however "The stereotype INFP's" ideals are so strong that if they did venture into "the real world" they would drown in it's ocean much faster and stronger like a person with cinder blocks tied to it's feet. They want to be loved, yet don't love themselves. They don't want emotional pain, yet they stab themselves with their own sympathy. They want good relationships, yet they don't speak to different people and refer to others by their 4 letters. If you want to put food in your stomach: you must be willing to hold the food in your hand, open your mouth, then chew and swallow your food. I cannot make it any more simpler than that. The system of life does not work one way and according to what you "percieve" it to work like; You must give to recieve.

·
Banned
780 Posts
I think Myers-Briggs only accounts for 50% of a person...my ex was an infp, and I dated here for this reason, and just because you are the same type doesn't mean you'll have the same beliefs and values...something I learned.

Reactions: White Light

·
Registered
145 Posts
To add to, or elaborate upon, what others (especially KateyKinz) have said, some things the MBTI system does not deal with:

1. Character: The way I'm using the word, I mean the combination of what one believes is right, and how well one lives up to those standards. Things like kindness/altruism vs. indifference/cruelty, generosity vs. withholding, etc. INFPs may all be pretty emotionally sensitive, but some take their emotional sensitivity and create sarcasm and bitterness, while others take the same sensitivity and create compassion and altruism. Of course, things like honesty and fidelity are not dealt with by MBTI either, and an INFP can keep their promises, tell the truth, and never cheat on a partner, or with a married person--but an INFP can also break their promises, say things that aren't true, and cheat and betray in relationships. Those are a few ways in which character comes out, but there are many others.

2. Intelligence and talent: Some INFPs are brilliant, and some are of average intelligence or below. Of course, there are different kinds of intelligence, too. Some INFPs are great at music or math, others are better at writing or interpersonal awareness.

3. Values: This is a large category, and for INFPs a very important one. Some INFPs, for example, may be passionate vegetarian Marxists, while others may be free-market-oriented ranchers. Religion vs. agnosticism or atheism, is another. One important value difference I've bumped into with INFPs, is how relatively important to they consider reason vs. emotion. Because INFPs tend to experience strong emotions, some don't feel the need to process things--internally or interpersonally--with much appeal to reason. Other INFPs are sticklers for intellectual honesty and reason, and can get very frustrated with those who refuse to subject their subjective inclinations to the challenge of reason.

·
Registered
682 Posts
MBTI test is concerned only with the conscious mind. Since it's the subconscious which mostly shapes our automatic behaviour, it's a bit like an iceberg, where only 1/10th of the observable entity is in plain sight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts