Personality Cafe banner

What book are you reading?

337K views 6K replies 2K participants last post by  route666aybb 
I've been binge reading (when I can,) Clare Sydney Smith's - The Golden Reign, since I got it on Wednesday.

I think it has been added to my list of favourite books (which is not many!)

After every-time I read it, it leaves me a feeling which I can't really describe. A feeling that's like something between, or a mixture of: depression, longing, loneliness, sentiment and/or nostalgia. I think I'll end up crying after finishing it.

I just finished reading this. A novel about 'what if'. This one is what if T.E Shaw [Lawrence] survived his "accident'. I read it for who knows how long. I stayed up all night til to 8am! Finished the rest this afternoon. It touched my heart, a bit too much. Bittersweet, depressing and hilarious... Yes I talk about Ned a lot, he was my inspiration for a number of years.
View attachment 811931

In May 1935, T.E. Lawrence – better known to the world as Lawrence of Arabia – was killed in a motorcycle accident in Dorset, England, bringing to a sudden end a complicated life of adventure, influence and tragedy. At least, that's what the public was told. Awakening in a Dorset hospital with grave injuries and no memory of his former life, the man once known as Thomas Edward Lawrence begins his life anew as George Patrick, a penniless, simple-minded laborer at a decrepit country estate near the Welsh border. With only a handful of people aware of his true identity – kept a secret for the havoc it could wreak upon the public – George attempts to make sense of his confusing new world while struggling with the legacy of a man he has no memory of having ever been. But when a dangerous man claiming to know his secret and threatening to undo the carefully woven web of concealment, George must confront not only his past, but fight for his own future. Blending historical fact and imagination, George takes readers on an extraordinary journey alongside a rich cast of characters to explore the limits of human resilience and whether our identity traps us – or sets us free.

My Cat Yugoslavia by Pajtim Statovci

The struggles of a gay man who is also a Slavic Muslim immigrant living in Western Europe, who falls in love with an emotionally manipulative and psychologically abusive six foot tall, talking cat who wears clothes. Goes back and forth with chapters about his parents in Kosovo in the 80s and early 90s. Yes it's exactly as weird as it sounds.

Joy on Demand: The Art of Discovering Happiness Within by Chade-Meng Tan

Holding Up Half The Sky: Chinese Women Past, Present and Future by Various Authors/Editors
Sounds like that gay man belongs in this:
View attachment 821681

Are you Muslim, or just interested? What have you found out about Sabah?

Not exactly reading anything now, but I have at least half a dozen books started... too depressed to go on any further.
No I'm not Muslim, I've read about the Middle East in WWI with the light horse and Lawrence of Arabia and all that stuff. So I thought I might as well read another book to get more information. This is actually during before and WWI actually so it gives me more background information. I never finished Seven Pillars of Wisdom. It might help for me to read a bit more stuff before reading that. It's like how I wanted to read Edward Gibbons The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, but you need to know a lot of Roman stuff already which I don't, because I was never really interested in Roman stuff.

Mubarak seems like he was a genuine good guy, a good ruler for a change, it's nice. I like him, he's good.

I think, since I've started reading about Middle Eastern stuff, I may as well read more until I'm satisfied with enough information, then I'll move onto something else.

Sorry to hear about your depression, I know what it's like to get deeply depressed and to not care about anything. But I'm still here...

Most of Ottoman and muslim Culture and leaders was in peace.

A lot of Ottoman Support Napoléon for exemple.
Arabic and occident is in peace at least before oil and ""Freedom individualism"" Even sometimes morte than Russia.
Yes, I know the British, French and other European interests was for the oil. And whatever else they could gain for their own benefit.

It's funny when European countries back in the day when they 'colonialised' other countries, thought they were giving the natives benefit when the natives were pretty much all right, 99% of the time. Maybe not how some of the women were treated, but it's not like Europeans treated their women any better until they started rioting. Maybe Europeans gave them more permanent shelter to live in, but at what cost to the environment, or a way of life that was based around needs (I.e the Bedouin moved for water, food, etc.)

Sorry dear but today its the American

French take most of their oils at South africa

Algeria and russia paye for that now

And we already give food market don't use for homless people

We have low rate employement in France Because American make a Slave market job with china and we are forced to follow and our Business go to china.

Damn i feel good
Yes I know today it's America but I was talking about back in the 1900's. Lol.

I read this today. It was okay, was waiting for something drastic to happen. The blurb sounded good. I was expecting a story with subtle homosexual undertones but well that didn't happen... The ending was bittersweet. Well one of the characters was homosexual but he was a side character.
View attachment 834063

Next I'm going to finish the one about Kuwait, then read something about British India. After that, finish a book called A Fortunate Life by Albert Facey. I didn't finish it because the writing was repetitive, but I'll try and finish because it seems a good true story, and he did teach himself to read and write so I'll let the poor guy off.

Can somebody recommend me a book that... has a 'damsel in distress' trope? Like, IDK, something along the lines of a woman gets kidnapped or something or rather then she gets rescued and they slowly like each other.

(totally not one of my fantasies at all.... :/ :()

Man's experience as a teacher, and his reflections of his own childhood, etc. Just read some of the sample, really good.