Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Fiction or non-fiction?

Non-fiction, I'd recommend A History of God by Karen Armstrong (I can say this is non fiction because it traces the beliefs of religions through their developments.

Fiction, I'd say The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. I haven't read the sequel, yet, but I loved the first one. It's just really long.

Edit: I never read Wicked, but I saw the musical when it came to my town. Loved it, especially looking for all the hidden connections and political messages. It's one of my favorites.

Reactions: Zinette

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
Panzer Commander: The Memoirs of Colonel Hans von Luck by Colonel Hans von Luck

In fact I'd recommend this book to anyone. It's probably one of the best books I've ever read. Ironically the Germans always write the best books about the War.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The Red Queen: Sex And The Evolution Of Human Nature by Matt Ridley (1993)

Hehe, I read that ^^

[you may like "Survival of the Prettiest" by Nancy Etcoff and "The Evolution Of Desire" by David Buss - if you haven't read them already]

My recommendation:

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus by Wittgenstein.

So far this is like "the ultimate book" for me. Since I've read it, I read all the other philosophy books just for fun. [Oh, no... it's not entirely true. I read Hegel's "Phenomenology of Spirit" whenever I have problems falling asleep]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Little Dorrit--Charles Dickens
Great Expectations--Charles Dickens
Wuthering Heights--E. Bronte
Shirley--Charlotte Bronte
Anything by Shakespeare
Science fiction
Fantasy
Philosophy/theology

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
The Art of War is, on the whole, a pretty terrible book full of rather obvious statements (Don't face your archers to the sun - yes, I can see the philosophical implication, but come on...)

Clausewitz' On War is better, but more difficult to understand, although it is more about the politics of conflict rather than the conduct of war itself; for that you should read memoirs of military commanders; Heinz Guderian, Sandy Woodward and Chesty Puller have good auto/biographies or memoirs.

I really want to read The Gallic Wars by Julius Caesar, though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Surprised no one's brought up The Art of War.:tongue:
That book is alright, I read it for a class but I didn't feel patient enough to give it the focus required to get something out of it.

I'm nearly finished reading The Lord of the Rings and would definitely recommend it to anyone that asked.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
THE CAT IN THE HAT.

There's very little more profound than "one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish".

·
Registered
16 Posts
My favorite author is Shel Silverstein - not just his poem books, but a lot of his stories are great. I also like Piet Hein who I fell in love with due to his mathematical and scientific writings, and loved even more for his Grooks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Some of my favorite books:

"the definitive book of body language" - develop your "sense" in order to properly analyse people (and the opposite sex)

"Blink" by Malcome Gladwell - understand "intuition" and how to use your "gut instinct" effectively

"Trump 101: The Way to Success" - basically my 20 commandments from a man who was at one point 9 billion in debt

"Fundamentals of Organizational Behaviour" - Nancy Langton - every chapter had about 3-4 tests that could be performed to determine certain personality characteristics, managerial styles, teamwork ability, etc etc. Basically a comprehensive self-discovery book as well as explaining your workplace.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.