Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as I know, there are only maybe three responses to this and I am having quite a lot of trouble seeing which one is the best for me.
1) The universe expands and then contracts causing infinite Big Bangs. It was always here.
2) The matter that makes up our universe simply appeared and made the Big Bang meaning that there was a definite beginning to it all.
I dislike this one the most 3) A supernatural being made the darn thing.
Which do you believe and why?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I believe everything is wrong and we can't be correct about anything ever. Simply because I can believe whatever I want and if I already believe I'm wrong then I can't be wrong, right? In all seriousness though there are many more theories than just the three that you listed. I personally believe in a mixture of different theories that I admit is probably wrong.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I prefer the first theory, mostly because it's the conclusion I came to on my own when I was younger.
That's what I believed as well until recently. The problem for me is that it sounds all too familiar like god. Believing that god was and always will be is much the same as the universe was here and always will be. It requires the same amount of faith. The problem with believing #2 is that I have to scrap everything I know about logic and the Law of Causality to believe it. I have to concede to nonsense. And we all know why #3 is just not acceptable but since its just as possible as #1 then I might as well go back on all my religion bashing and become a convert hypocrite.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Sorin Markov! YEEESSSSSS!!! :kitteh:

Ahem, sorry.

I'd say a supernatural being. Because a supernatural being can be timeless, ergo the "before" problem doesn't exist because there is no such thing as before when there is no time.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
As far as I know, there are only maybe three responses to this and I am having quite a lot of trouble seeing which one is the best for me.
1) The universe expands and then contracts causing infinite Big Bangs. It was always here.
2) The matter that makes up our universe simply appeared and made the Big Bang meaning that there was a definite beginning to it all.
I dislike this one the most 3) A supernatural being made the darn thing.
Which do you believe and why?
i would like to choose the fourth.
4. that the multiverse constantly creates universes as our universe creates stars. eventually, they all become sucked into one massive black hole that contains everything until the multiverse spits it back out again with different laws/physics. the multiverse has always been around.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorin Markov! YEEESSSSSS!!! :kitteh:

Ahem, sorry.

I'd say a supernatural being. Because a supernatural being can be timeless, ergo the "before" problem doesn't exist because there is no such thing as before when there is no time.
Sorin just exudes so much badassery that I just couldn't imagine NOT having him as the image I want to portray. Glad to see some MTG solidarity.
Option #3 is only in the extreme case that I am unable to find a good alternative to what I can find because as previously stated, going back on a lot of hate would look and feel really bad.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i would like to choose the fourth.
4. that the multiverse constantly creates universes as our universe creates stars. eventually, they all become sucked into one massive black hole that contains everything until the multiverse spits it back out again with different laws/physics. the multiverse has always been around.
So what you're basically saying is option #2 with the change of one universe to include all the universes? Also, thank you for adding your own answer as my experience in this is limited.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
So what you're basically saying is option #2 with the change of one universe to include all the universes? Also, thank you for adding your own answer as my experience in this is limited.
pretty much. only giving my theory on how the universes come into being and out of being.
ps: also, jayce wins. though i was always a merfolk person myself ;P

·
Registered
770 Posts
That's what I believed as well until recently. The problem for me is that it sounds all too familiar like god. Believing that god was and always will be is much the same as the universe was here and always will be. It requires the same amount of faith. The problem with believing #2 is that I have to scrap everything I know about logic and the Law of Causality to believe it. I have to concede to nonsense. And we all know why #3 is just not acceptable but since its just as possible as #1 then I might as well go back on all my religion bashing and become a convert hypocrite.
In the end they all end up the same. There was nothing and then there was something. Its an unanswerable question.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have always suspected that number 1 is the case, but still, we'll never know what happened, and that's where I prefer to stand. In a space of unsurity. (Pun literally unintended, I swear)

·
Registered
275 Posts
I doubt that we will ever know and I will not except the third option because of how unlikely it is. Just like Cheveyo I concluded that it was the first one as it made the most sense to me when I was younger, I also like Rinying's black hole, multiverse idea.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The third option is just giving up and saying "well let's not try to think about this. we don't know the answer so it must be the invisible bearded man again. damn it bearded man!"

I think it's the first option. The interesting transcension hypothesis says that all intelligence gets more intelligent and requires less space (like technology) and eventually becomes super dense tiny black holes.

So i think everything turns into a black hole and explodes.

or maybe we'll never know but i refuse the "sky ghost flipped a matterless switch and created matter" argument.

·
Registered
520 Posts
IDK... but for the sake of theories, number 3! Let's assume that time doesn't exist and that the past and present are in completely interconnect via some 11 dimension hologram. Now, we can assume, at the same time, nothing exists, but some dude somewhere is really craving a a bowl of cinnamon toast crunch. Now, in order for him to get that bowl of cinnamon toast crunch, the universe needs to exist, thus in order for that man to have his desire fulfilled, every process preceding him fulfilling said desire must happen. In conclusion, cereal, is how the universe exists.

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
My theory is that there were loads of bangs all over the place, and probably still are today.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts