Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I trained to be a teacher for a year at university, but dropped out after finding it difficult with all the preparation and evaluation of the work as well as teaching the pupils themselves. I'm not a natural leader so I couldn't control some of them. Since then, I've had two jobs that I didn't feel satisfied in, and I am very hesitant to just take any job to keep me going, as I would ideally like a job that I will enjoy and want to be in for the rest of my life.

I know that some of the ideal INFP careers are ones where the INFP can use their creativity or to help others/make a difference in someone's life. I think one of these two elements is what I would like to do.

Creativity - I enjoy writing and throughout the years, I have written short stories and novels, (mostly unfinished). However, I do know how hard it can be to get published and to earn a lot of money from it. Also, I don't think that I react to criticism well, even if it's constructive. That may be something that I would struggle with.

Helping others - I haven't really had any work experience with this, but if someone asks me a favour to do something or to get something for them for example, I do feel good about myself afterwards. However, I don't know what I would like if I had to do this with new people. Like most INFP males, I am a very shy, quiet person who feels very awkward with new people. When I'm like this, I get nervous and paranoid about what they think of me. I don't know how much that would jeopardise me.

I know that this isn't a lot to go on, but I hate being unemployed with no real idea of what to do. Could I have some advice, please?

·
Registered
759 Posts
You're right, you didn't give much to go on :p

But I think you have a lot of options. I mean like for example you like helping people. Well, you can look at tons of jobs where either you are customer-facing or just help people in general from being an ER doctor all the way down to volunteering in a soup kitchen, or maybe you just get paid to run errands like the people on taskrabbit.com.

And with teaching, I don't know that you necessarily have to teach kids to be a teacher. Maybe you are just meant to teach other adults something? Instead of getting a book published, maybe you wind up writing creative articles for a magazine.

The nice thing about being an INFP and having creativity is you can come up with interesting ways to tie in your interests to these core values of wanting to help other people and express your creativity. To give a very very basic example, logical choices for a person who likes helping others and also loves animals might become a vet, a dog trainer, or could go work at a zoo where half the time they are working with the animals and then also maybe they give tours and help people learn about the animals. That is 3 very different jobs which only took nominal effort to think of just now while still combining the two things that this example person might really love, so I'm sure you can really let your mind wander once you decide on the main direction you want to go and come up with a few different jobs too.

The one thing that isn't going to do you any favors is worrying about stuff like not getting published or taking criticism. Don't worry about the realities for now. I'm not saying this just because I'm a crazy idealist who is all about going after your dreams no matter how unrealistic they are. I'm saying this because you don't even know if you could have a job that allows you to write without having to worry about being published. There are tons of people writing, from technical manuals to political blogs, who are not worrying about being published or having their work criticized by a book reviewer. I'm not suggesting you do either of those jobs, but I'm just saying you can't let unfounded fears stop you before you even figure yourself out. You can't come up with excuses not to go after a goal before you even figure out what the goal is in the first place.

You should also cast aside any thoughts about what other people would think. They don't have to live your life, so don't let other people tell you how you should get a steady job and benefits and all that crap just because it is how the rest of the world does it. Don't worry about how much you'll make for now. Just try to come up with a wide range of jobs that combine your talents with your interests, and then start narrowing it down from there. The one you keep getting excited more and more about is the one you should research into further and find out what the first steps are to getting into that field/profession/whatever.

None of us are going to be able to tell you what you like best. You are your own person. But I truly do believe that when you figure out what it is and put real effort into going after it, things just fall in place from there when you get on the right track. So don't worry about the future problems, just focus on figuring out which of those things makes you happiest; teaching, helping others, or writing. From there, do tons of internet searches with all sorts of terms like 'different jobs in writing' or 'what are good jobs where i can help other people?' and just start seeing what is out there. If you keep surfing the internet long enough, you are bound to find a handful of things people are doing to make a living that are appealing to you.

I also don't know that you have to find your ideal job immediately. Maybe you have to take on another crappy job while working your way up somewhere. If you like helping people, maybe you start putting in a lot of time at a soup kitchen and the non-profit organization notices you and hires you on to manage something a few months down the road? Who knows? I don't know if soup kitchens sound appealing to you but it is just an example where you can't expect to be like "Ok universe! I've decided to be a writer now! So just give me a writing job I want please!" Obviously that is not how real life works :happy:

Good luck with finding out what it is you want to do, I'm sure you'll figure it out if you listen to what your instincts tell you :happy:

·
Registered
897 Posts
@JerseyDevil: that is one of the best and most concise piece of advices I've ever heard lately.
THANK you so much for writing that, as it would also apply well to my current case now.
I think I'd bookmark/save this just in case I might forget in the future and go 'emo'/melancholic depressive again :D

·
Registered
759 Posts
@JerseyDevil: that is one of the best and most concise piece of advices I've ever heard lately.
THANK you so much for writing that, as it would also apply well to my current case now.
I think I'd bookmark/save this just in case I might forget in the future and go 'emo'/melancholic depressive again :D
I'm so glad you found it useful :happy: I hope it helps you find what you want/need to do.

·
Registered
444 Posts
if you like writing you could try play around with the idea of being an editor or just working for a publishing company. and on the side you can work on your stories. It would give you a good in if you ever decide to publish.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My instincts always tell me to carry on doing illustration, but there's no money in it and I'm rubbish at networking so freelancing would be really hard.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts