Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Socionics describes certain functions as "valued", but I can think of several phenomena that might be described that way:

1. One considers it important (for oneself or everyone; that may depend on overall personality) to have this function at a high complexity (3d or 4d).

2. One seeks out situations where use of this function is warranted.

3. Given a choice of two functions to use, one will use a valued function over an unvalued one, at whatever dimensionality they are at.

3A: Given a choice of two functions to use, one considers it important to use a valued function over an unvalued one, at whatever dimensionality they are at.

4: One gains enjoyment/pleasure from using this function.

So which of these is meant by "valued function"? Or is it some boolean combination, or something else entirely?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Valued function are functions whereby one often uses it in their every day environments, subconsciously.

Fe is one of my valued functions for example. After interacting with tons of ESEs as well as EIEs, I realized that I don't always like Fe myself, but despite how much I disliked being around Fe, I tend to use it subconsciously without noticing it myself.

Oh, nono I definitely don't seek out Fe. I don't really need Fe in my life. Why would I need Fe when I'm already quite good at using it myself?

As for gaining pleasure, why would I gain enjoyment/pleasure from using Fe?

I find myself seeking out my suggestive function, which is Se. I really love Se energy. I often find myself drawn to SLE, followed by SEEs, and then Se creatives to some extent. I often find myself becoming close friends with Se egos. I currently have a really close friend who is an SLE. xD

I gain enjoyment from being around Se, and from using Se. When my SLE friend encourages me to start taking action, to stop hesitating so much, and to just seize the moment and to just act, this is when I find myself being lifted out of my depression.

And yeah, I know this sounds weird, but being around my dual actually helps to improve my depression a little. It's like I'm always stucked in Ni mode, always hesitating, always thinking about all the long-term consequences of all my actions, always holding myself back and always waiting for the right moment (and the right moment is like forever, so I can basically wait forever), and my dual helps push me out of this mode. "Stop hesitating so much and just start acting!" said SLE.
So it's like, I start listening to their advice, start acting and stop overanalyzing everything so much, so yah.... >_<

So to summarize what I just wrote, I find myself gaining enjoyment/pleasure from using Ni and Se. But I don't really gain much enjoyment/pleasure from using Fe and Ti.

·
Registered
411 Posts
You seek out environments that contain your valued functions and try to connect to others through them. This is why you understand people in your own quadra the best and those in your opposing quadra the least. Also, when matched up for strength/competence levels, the valued functions create positive feelings while their unvalued counterparts are negative or neutral.

For instance:

Base Function creates intrinsic satisfaction while Demonstrative Function is a game you use to mock others.
Creative Function creates personal quests and a feeling of competence, the Ignoring Function is boring.
Mobilizing Function activates and energizes you, the Role Function creates anxiety and uneasiness.
Suggestive Function soothes, relaxes, and entertains you; the Vulnerable Function makes you feel frustrated and helpless.

·
Registered
8 Posts
In my interpretation IM elements are goals, and valued elements are the goals that you inherently derive the most satisfaction from. Another way to say it is that they are compatible with the goal of the leading function.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts