Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having one of those days. I feel totally bummed and there is absolutely no reason for it. Those are the worst times for me because I can't seem to cheer myself up since there is no situational cause.

Anyone ever feel like this? And have you developed a technique to drag yourself out of it? I hate feeling like this; it's literally like torture to me.

Also, I know for me it is hormone related (that lovely monthly dip in estrogen). Have any of you ladies come up with something that helps improve this? I heard to reduce sugar intake and to try eating foods that can mimick the effects of estrogen...gonna eat lots of carrots today. Sigghhh, I hate feeling this way :dry:

·
Registered
186 Posts
When I am feeling down I try to do things that I know make me feel good about myself, or get me excited. Sometimes when I am really feeling bad I like to do things that are really out of character, because for some reason this acts like pressing a reset button, reminds me of who I am and the positive things, so I can stop thinking bad things about myself. I guess this is because if I am stuck in the same routine for too long, it can almost start closing my mind off to the positive things in the world, so doing something unusual reminds me of what I am made of - it's like exploring new territory and testing my own reactions to it... Although I have to admit in the past, when suffering from severe depression, this tendency took the form of self-destructive behaviour. I don't recommend that at all, obviously. Nowadays I try to push myself out of my comfort zone with new people or a new experience, or find something to look forward to, such as booking a trip somewhere.

Sometimes it can be hard to force myself to do these things in the beginning but I make myself because experience has proven that it always works, and I never regret actively doing things to improve my mood.

For me it's things like going to the gym and listening to music I love during a workout, playing drums, drawing, researching something new and interesting to try/buy, spending time with close friends who I can be myself around and who see the good in me and remind me of my own value. So I think you should consider the things that make you feel good about yourself and engage in those activities. I wouldn't advise sitting at home in front of your computer all day, it's not likely to help much (speaking from my own experience). Good luck :)

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
The dreaded PMS :( I used to either get really angry or really depressed during that time. Now it has evened out and I don't ever really deal with it, which is strange because I used to really "DEAL" with it. I think my hormones got better.

But, this is what I do when I start to feel down. I just kind of ride the feeling, and don't deny it. I know it doesn't last forever. Its like wave and it is going to peak and come back down. Do something that you know will make you feel better. Like who wants to clean the house when they are down?? I don't but I know that if I do that I will feel better. So, I set the timer and clean as much as I can for thirty minutes. Generally, just a little goes a long way. Make your bed in your room: it makes it feel so much more inviting when you walk in. You might already make your bed, not sure. Light a couple candles. Take a shower and put on some mascara. Put on your sweat pants and most comfy shirt. Don't push yourself too much, but just enough to know your still alive inside. :)

I also like to positive self-talk myself:

"tulipgarden, girl you have to ride this wave"

"Ok, tulipgarden, what can you make yourself do right now to make yourself feel even a tiny bit better?"

"tulipgarden, what did you do last time that made you feel better?" "the time you did nothing made you feel worse" "but the time you took the time to clean the house for 30 minutes really made a difference - so get up off your ass and do it"

Those are some things I tell myself when I have my "moments". Especially my cycle related moments. I hope your day gets SO much better and I know it will because this isn't your constant state. Its just a moment in time that is going to pass and you will be back to your good natured, happy self.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Aw, sorry to hear you're feeling a bit down.

One way i cheer myself up is to watch things on TV that make me happy, maybe a good movie. I may go out for a walk, during this walk i usually run into people or places that make me realize i have so much to be happy about. Sometimes seeing people that are less fortunate than yourself will make you think " I am blessed ". When my husband sees me feeling down he will bring up things that make me laugh, or things i really love. We may talk about a holiday we hope to take in the future, this gets me excited and makes me forget why i was feeling down. Maybe you could pamper yourself a wee bit too. Perhaps you could go out and buy that dress that you love and feel good in. During PMS our emotions are all over the place, maybe some peace and quite alone with yourself with a good book. I do realize you have children, so that won't always be easy. Look at your child and remember what it was like giving birth, how that made you smile ( or maybe ouch ;) )....kids have a way of cheering me up, the innocents and funny things they say. Hope you can find some inner peace and find a reason to smile huge , hugs.

EDIT: Sometimes i make a list of the things i'm grateful for, this list always ends up with more positive things than negative. I get mad myself and think " I'm just being selfish "...i talk myself into seeing all the good things i have, focus on those.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'm sorry you're feeling down. I'll pick up dinner and a bottle of wine. I can take the kids to the library tonight and you can relax. Feel better *hugs*

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I'm having one of those days. I feel totally bummed and there is absolutely no reason for it. Those are the worst times for me because I can't seem to cheer myself up since there is no situational cause.

Anyone ever feel like this? And have you developed a technique to drag yourself out of it? I hate feeling like this; it's literally like torture to me.

Also, I know for me it is hormone related (that lovely monthly dip in estrogen). Have any of you ladies come up with something that helps improve this? I heard to reduce sugar intake and to try eating foods that can mimick the effects of estrogen...gonna eat lots of carrots today. Sigghhh, I hate feeling this way :dry:
I'm going through the same situation. Rather I'm bored with life. Let's have a cup of coffee together, for a moment you might feel better. ;)

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
This was me last week.

I have a "happy" list that I pull out whenever I feel down. Reading the list reminds me of all the things in my life that I have to be happy about and I'll usually chose something from that list to do/participate in. I also "treat" myself to food; basically giving my body whatever it wants (I also up my caffeine intake).Getting in touch with nature always seems to cheer me up- I'll go out for a walk with my camera and take pictures of anything I see that's beautiful/interests me.

Hope you're feeling better!

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Ugh. That dip in estrogen is the worst. :(

I usually let myself be sad and try to have a good cry. Sometimes I do yoga because that makes me feel good, regardless.

And sometimes when the sad is dragging on too long, the best thing can be a chat with a good friend or two about silly, frivolous things that make you laugh and forget how down you were feeling.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again to all of you :)

@nádej I cannot stand when it happens; it is truly like torture to me. I read some tips online on how to get endorphins running (besides working out because I didn't feel like it today) to counterbalance the dip in estrogen and here is what I did...

I listened to classical music, specificallly Beethoven. I read that listening to relaxing classical music can cause a release in endorphins and a sense of relaxation that is more effective than Valium.

I ate carrots which I read mimicks estrogen.

I also meditated for a few minutes, concentrating on my breathing so that my mind was at rest and not full of racing thoughts. I also cleaned as some suggested and thought about all the things I'm happy and grateful for. It worked because I felt a lot better and I still feel better! :)

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I would totally say dumb humor. My fiance just needs to crack a dumb fart joke, talk in a funny accent, or act completely stupid. Just anything that can crack a smile can alter my mood pretty quickly, actually. In lieu of my fiance or friends to cheer me up, watching dumb stuff on Youtube or the like is always helpful. Just gotta get that smile going!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Thanks again to all of you :)

@nádej I cannot stand when it happens; it is truly like torture to me. I read some tips online on how to get endorphins running (besides working out because I didn't feel like it today) to counterbalance the dip in estrogen and here is what I did...

I listened to classical music, specificallly Beethoven. I read that listening to relaxing classical music can cause a release in endorphins and a sense of relaxation that is more effective than Valium.

I ate carrots which I read mimicks estrogen.

I also meditated for a few minutes, concentrating on my breathing so that my mind was at rest and not full of racing thoughts. I also cleaned as some suggested and thought about all the things I'm happy and grateful for. It worked because I felt a lot better and I still feel better! :)
I like the idea of listening to relaxing music. I am going to try that one.

It sounds like you did some helpful things to cheer you up. I came back to ask how you were and was glad to see this. Here is hoping for a better day tomorrow and if its not better...vent to us and throw on some Beethoven.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I like the idea of listening to relaxing music. I am going to try that one.

It sounds like you did some helpful things to cheer you up. I came back to ask how you were and was glad to see this. Here is hoping for a better day tomorrow and if its not better...vent to us and throw on some Beethoven.
Thank you for checking back in :) I feel good today, so looks like I'm through it til next month! Woo hoo! :)

·
Banned
3,435 Posts
hormones are a big pile of poo!!!

I cuddle my dog and cry into her fluffy body ....she then licks my nose and I giggle because she's such a snugglepuff :D

Sometimes you just gotta say screw it and eat lots of chocolate!!! And cry over spilt milk!!!!

I'm glad you're feeling better *hugs*

·
Registered
127 Posts
Having a laugh with friends, or just leaving the house can help ENORMOUSLY. That and listening to music, playing with the dogs, tea, art, chocolate... just treat yourself to whatever you feel like.

I'm glad you're feeling better, @Enfpleasantly :) Take care!
Aaah, the butterfly in your signature is so pretty:proud:

I cuddle my dog and cry into her fluffy body ....she then licks my nose and I giggle because she's such a snugglepuff :D
Dogs can be the best comforters, I swear >u< Every time I'm upset, my dog just appears out of nowhere. She's lovely. And her foot-licking is superb.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.