Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Inspired by a thread I came across in the General Chat of The Cafe Lounge)

This is the ISFJ dream thread. Feel free to post what you can remember. How you felt afterwards is completely optional.

I'll start the thread off:

(Thursday night leading into Friday morning) (10.05.17 - 10.06.17)

I found myself in a fast food restaurant surrounded by bikers, families (mothers, fathers, children...), vagrants and one extremely drunk gentleman. Somehow, it became known that the drunk guy ran up quiet a tab and didn't have any money on him. I don't know how, or even why, but I end up covering the guy's tab (which costs me a grand total of $350.00 -- which I pay in cash). After paying the guy's tab, he verbally assaults me and vanishes. As I leave the restaurant, Seth Rogan appears and offers me an object that resembles a pen (which is obviously broken and would cause a mess if I put in my my pocket or in my shirt pocket). At first, I recognize him from somewhere but can't quiet put my finger on exactly where I've seen him from. I take the object, look at it, and then put it in my mouth. It turns into chocolate. I end up realizing who he is and call him out on it. We talk for a bit as we walk and I end up telling him what I do for a living. For some reason, he seems to take a genuine interest in the conversation we're having.

Then, I start to dream of my crush of 14+ years. For some reason, both her and the Asian dude from Myth Busters (Grant Imahara) come over to my house to "hang out" and end up meeting the acquaintance of my dad. My dad tries to impress them (the complete opposite of what he would do in real life), but ironically ends up making Grant cry instead. I then try to confide in my crush of 14+ years, but she goes verbally feral on me. Then they both decide to leave. Before leaving though, my dad asks them if things would of been different if he stayed out of the mix. Their response is a cold and resounding "no".

That's when I woke up...

I felt a surge of various emotions as I laid there and pondered about what I had just drempt about. Sadness, anger, and frustration are just 3 of the various emotions I felt before I went to work.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Dream thread!!!! (and a place to eat my dreams)

Can't recall everything, but I put what I can in my notes - Dream of Oct 4th

Starts on bed in apartment place, really nice, foreign style, best guess France/Italy, window with shutters open wide, dark green shutters, bright day, squirrels outside get close on the branches of the tree that reach to the room, climbs in but turns into a cat, I know that it's my Dad's. It jumps out before I know what is going on (15ft) but it is fine, I realize I have to go after it and bring it back. Into city/village patio, surrounded by buildings but somehow open and beautiful, no people, quiet calmness / then on bottom level where a garage usually is but instead it is a large public bath/shower room (clean but nondescript). Just passing through it, embarrassed because I have to pass some young women, they are amused when I cover my eyes even though they are wearing towels, then I end up reaching a cafeteria on the floor above, I go to the table where one of my brothers is waiting for me, some school friends, they left a seat for me between my best friend and a girl who I went to school with. Best friend had gotten my lunch for me, bought the stuff from the store not the cafeteria, (I think I was hesitant because he wasn't very careful about the ingredients but I didn't want to refuse anything). I can only remember telling them about the cat that survived the 15 ft. Never saw the cat again though.

When I woke up I felt content.

Haven't translated the whole thing but I picked out a few symbols-

cat - "Jungians see the cat as representing a deep psychological secret, a hidden side of one's nature." / Could also be independence

bathroom - relaxation/cleansing/"Such cleansing could depict a change of heart or forgiveness where old feelings are washed away; some bathing dreams or fantasies depict the bath as a form of ritual that is getting you ready for something, perhaps a radical change, but often to do with sexuality;"/vulnerability/"being immersed in an influence of some sort;deep sharing; perhaps blending of qualities"

-a meal = acceptance, social acceptance

So if the cat represents independence and since it was my Dad's it could be my feeling a responsibility to be more independent than I am, could be comment on current circumstances, where the situation with family was rearranged so that I would have more space, but it's still not real independence, so I see it but it disappears and the bathroom is light trial preparation as I find a way back into a world I'm familiar with but departed from. Ah, just looked up dark green: "growth of negative attitudes; sickness". So a warning perhaps against reclusion, since the shutters are on my room, and they're shutters. Interesting that it was a squirrel that turned into the cat. The squirrel could be a herald of nature?, innocent. Actually scratch that, all that is off, I think the cat represents an aversion. Mmm, or not, don't scratch that. I'll leave it there.

Oh, the quoted is from my dream dictionary. Which I'd say is moderately useful, I can't find any that are very comprehensive.

·
Registered
95 Posts
A couple nights ago I had a dream about being in an arena, we fought in teams of two, there being three teams. I don't think it reached a conclusion. One of the notable things about it was that I was set against the brother I'm always on the same side on in dreams. The other team was a legendary berserker and his second, but they stayed out of it as long as the other teams were engaged. He had the only weapon, which was an axe.

arena - "A focus of attention; a mental capability to bring an unimaginable number of associated bits of information and experience together in considering something; area of conflict, attention, or turmoil; something being dramatized or considered by dreamer...a testing of oneself" (there was no crowd)

attack/attacking - "may suggest defensiveness about some issue or aspect of one's life. A positive side to attack is that we often feel attacked by an emerging new insight or positive personal change."

And last night I had a dream I was a Grey Knight in a squad of Grey Knights. At first it had a videogame-like setup, where I had to choose abilities and the same brother as above was there to tell me which ones to take, as our abilities would influence each others. But the main one I took was one that allowed me to see the demons we were fighting. Setting was a place in the clouds, not white, everything was kind of a soft ruddy orange-brown in a lighter shade, the floor was cloud and so was the ceiling, no walls. The demons would only manifest as dark blue tentacles reaching from the ceiling of clouds. But I burned them. I burned them all.

Grey Knights - Warhammer 40k - Lexicanum
(Their symbol is of a book and sword - which originally is a reference to spiritual warfare.)
According to some websites tentacles represent concerns from the subconscious that haven't been properly confronted. So maybe I'll try putting down the flamer...

·
Registered
752 Posts
reading these is pretty cool. i hope to see more isfjs talk about their dreams, as it's a topic i have a lot of curiosity on. i don't know if there's one for enfps (i'll have to go check, but i haven't seen one so far; if there's not i hope you don't mind me borrowing your idea), but i'll throw mine in just so you have something to compare to. i've noticed so far in this thread and from a couple isfjs i know that (so far anyway) there seems to be an emphasis on family/ relationships, including ones from a long time ago. i get those every once in a while but it's rare and not as vivid as what's being described here/ by my isfj friends. mine are usually charged with adventure, and often just SO WHACKED OUT that when i mull them over/ converse with others about it, they're just plain awkwardly hilarious. here's mine from last night:

i saw my brother walking through a clearing in some woods. it was deeply into autumn so the ground was thoroughly blanketed in brown and orange leaves, and the dirt beneath was dark and slick, i'm assuming due to a recent rainstorm. my brother was just having fun, being goofy and kind of "skating" through the leaves, leaving trails of that dark dirt i described, and went downward in a gentle slope. so just to pick on him, i decided to "skate" through the leaves too, when i attracted the attention of a pack of dogs. i knew they were nice and friendly dogs, but i was concerned about them jumping on me and scratching me in their excitement, so i started skating faster to get away. i was also concerned that one of the dogs might turn out to be an alligator in disguise, so i didn't want to take my chances with them. i found a steep hill and tried to skate/ climb it to get away from the dogs, when one small, yappy dog named Crunchier jumped up and clung its claws into my backside and just dangled off me while i climbed. the bigger dogs couldn't reach me but i couldn't do anything about Crunchier (and anyway, he wasn't bothering me so much, aside from his incessant yapping) so i just continued to skate/ climb until i found a set of bookshelves that i could grip with my hands. once i got there, i found a thin ledge to fit my toes and keep my balance while i sidled along to the edge of the bookshelves where i finally made it to the top of the hill and safety from all the dogs (except Crunchier).

how i felt after i woke up from my dream: i laughed my butt off. (bye, Crunchier!) xD yeah trust an enfp to come in and make things weird, right?

so @PuritanicalVerdancy, i don't believe in universality in dream symbolism interpretation (i think it's a lot more subjective than often reported), but just out of curiosity, whatcha got in your dream book for me? xD

also, any isfjs want to confirm my notion about dreams being more relational as i said before (i have such a tiny pool of data to extract from, so it's totally understandable if i'm wrong)? like i said, i tend to dream in terms of "big adventure" (usually way bigger than what i described up there) and lots of abstract feelings and concepts, so i'm wondering if there might be some type-related dream habits or something.

·
Registered
95 Posts
@PurpleKitti

Uh, certainly, I think there's room for subjectivity. Which is why it is so hard to interpret other people's dreams, as the subjective aspects are more subtle and the more easily lost after waking. Not to mention their history of knowledge/experience that can alter the meaning of the symbol, or just the degree of directness of its appearance...err, I mean, let's give it a crack! Hope you don't mind if I just limit myself in the longer descriptions to the bits that seem more likely to be relevant.

wood with trees - "Allowing oneself to be natural, and for the mind and emotions to move in their own way."
trees - "one's connection with or awareness of the unconscious; other people's personal growth and connection with self."

autumn - "mellow feelings...gradual but often pleasant decline; maturity...a period of change when the old order of things is fading away, and the new has not shown itself...may also suggest a time that is not good for active creativity, but more suited for "being" rather than "doing."

autumn leaves - "old memories, skills, attitudes, things you have developed in life that are no longer performing a useful function due to the changes happening. It is therefore helpful to see if you can understand this season of your life and what it brings. It may be a time to rest and let go of some of the outer activities of the past."

orange - "Blending or balance of emotions and intellect. Sometimes, warmth;" (or insight)

brown - "Depression...concealment."

skating - "Sense of balance and proportion in life. Skill in keeping balanced in a difficult circumstance."

dog - "friendship; the parts of self we usually keep out of sight, but may express spontaneously...occasionally we depict a person, or what we feel about a person, through the character of a dog."

dog attacking - criticism (it said aggression, or snide criticism, I watered it down to criticism given the context)

alligator - "Feelings or fears of being attacked or overwhelmed, possibly from within oneself, or by a powerful mother"

books - "Memories; things you have learned or are learning from experience; attitudes toward learning; other people's opinions; the world of imagination and escape." (or growing awareness, it adds later)

chased - "We are, in a real sense, pursued by what we have created with our thoughts, emotions, actions, and inaction." / avoiding responsibility / "But it might be our creativity, love, or a passionate response to living,"

chased by animal - "natural feelings"

climb - "We climb in avoid something; to get away...in which case it expresses effort on our part;" / ambition / motivation / "Climbing may also depict the first half of life...We climb to see what is there, beyond, above, out of sight."

brother - "The most general use in dreams is to depict an aspect of ourselves."

My pool of data is also quite small, but what is there leads me to think that there could be something relational to types and dreams. Of the few people who have shared some of their dreams with me, the only one who had dreams that shared significant similarities to mine was another ISFJ.

·
Registered
752 Posts
@PurpleKitti

Uh, certainly, I think there's room for subjectivity. Which is why it is so hard to interpret other people's dreams, as the subjective aspects are more subtle and the more easily lost after waking. Not to mention their history of knowledge/experience that can alter the meaning of the symbol, or just the degree of directness of its appearance...err, I mean, let's give it a crack! Hope you don't mind if I just limit myself in the longer descriptions to the bits that seem more likely to be relevant.

wood with trees - "Allowing oneself to be natural, and for the mind and emotions to move in their own way."
trees - "one's connection with or awareness of the unconscious; other people's personal growth and connection with self."

autumn - "mellow feelings...gradual but often pleasant decline; maturity...a period of change when the old order of things is fading away, and the new has not shown itself...may also suggest a time that is not good for active creativity, but more suited for "being" rather than "doing."

autumn leaves - "old memories, skills, attitudes, things you have developed in life that are no longer performing a useful function due to the changes happening. It is therefore helpful to see if you can understand this season of your life and what it brings. It may be a time to rest and let go of some of the outer activities of the past."

orange - "Blending or balance of emotions and intellect. Sometimes, warmth;" (or insight)

brown - "Depression...concealment."

skating - "Sense of balance and proportion in life. Skill in keeping balanced in a difficult circumstance."

dog - "friendship; the parts of self we usually keep out of sight, but may express spontaneously...occasionally we depict a person, or what we feel about a person, through the character of a dog."

dog attacking - criticism (it said aggression, or snide criticism, I watered it down to criticism given the context)

alligator - "Feelings or fears of being attacked or overwhelmed, possibly from within oneself, or by a powerful mother"

books - "Memories; things you have learned or are learning from experience; attitudes toward learning; other people's opinions; the world of imagination and escape." (or growing awareness, it adds later)

chased - "We are, in a real sense, pursued by what we have created with our thoughts, emotions, actions, and inaction." / avoiding responsibility / "But it might be our creativity, love, or a passionate response to living,"

chased by animal - "natural feelings"

climb - "We climb in avoid something; to get away...in which case it expresses effort on our part;" / ambition / motivation / "Climbing may also depict the first half of life...We climb to see what is there, beyond, above, out of sight."

brother - "The most general use in dreams is to depict an aspect of ourselves."

My pool of data is also quite small, but what is there leads me to think that there could be something relational to types and dreams. Of the few people who have shared some of their dreams with me, the only one who had dreams that shared significant similarities to mine was another ISFJ.
i've bolded the parts that may potentially relate to me, and indeed a few of which i felt in the dream. (although i have more of a tendency to associate "brown" with "boring" or "sleepiness/ tiredness" personally.) i am very motivated by change and re-evaluating my life and various situations, and growth, especially recently.

yeah, when sharing my dreams among other people, the nf ones tend to match mine the most, especially nfp. my husband is an esfp and has had many dreams where he's just a spectator watching an episode of something on tv or a movie-- complete with ending credits and theme song. xD and a good, mostly-solid storyline. pretty fascinating, honestly. but that's pretty much all the dream data i have that i can think of, along with the isfjs i mentioned before.

thank you for your response. ^_^

Reactions: BookofBranches

·
Registered
95 Posts
i've bolded the parts that may potentially relate to me, and indeed a few of which i felt in the dream. (although i have more of a tendency to associate "brown" with "boring" or "sleepiness/ tiredness" personally.) i am very motivated by change and re-evaluating my life and various situations, and growth, especially recently.

yeah, when sharing my dreams among other people, the nf ones tend to match mine the most, especially nfp. my husband is an esfp and has had many dreams where he's just a spectator watching an episode of something on tv or a movie-- complete with ending credits and theme song. xD and a good, mostly-solid storyline. pretty fascinating, honestly. but that's pretty much all the dream data i have that i can think of, along with the isfjs i mentioned before.

thank you for your response. ^_^
Oh, under brown it did say dullness, my error. Interesting that you found that in nfp's. Wow I have never had a dream even remotely like your ESFP's, if dreams ever come up with my extended family I'll pay extra attention to my ESFP uncle. I wouldn't have imagined anyone had dreams like that...

·
Registered
752 Posts
Oh, under brown it did say dullness, my error. Interesting that you found that in nfp's. Wow I have never had a dream even remotely like your ESFP's, if dreams ever come up with my extended family I'll pay extra attention to my ESFP uncle. I wouldn't have imagined anyone had dreams like that...
i believe he was on vicodin and other meds after his car crash for a few of those, so that might have something to do with it. but i'm pretty sure at least one of those was under normal, non-influenced circumstances, if not a couple others as well.

Reactions: BookofBranches

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
@Tripwire_Desire 14yrd crush=reverse role play with hot/cold approach. More realistic your subconscious trying to protect you emotionally.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
also, any isfjs want to confirm my notion about dreams being more relational as i said before (i have such a tiny pool of data to extract from, so it's totally understandable if i'm wrong)? like i said, i tend to dream in terms of "big adventure" (usually way bigger than what i described up there) and lots of abstract feelings and concepts, so i'm wondering if there might be some type-related dream habits or something.
It's uncommon that I'll dream about people I've personally met. I don't want to see people in a dream who I will see anyway during waking life. I want a break from them. This could be because I'm enneagram 5, though. The emotions can be too intense between me and a person I know, and I don't want to feel strong emotions provoked by the actions/words of fake manifestations of real people. I wake up feeling betrayed because my mind essentially lied to me by leading me to believe a person really did what they did in the dream, and I hate that. I'd rather that my mind crank out nonsense.

I prefer my dreams to be random instead of familiar. They tend to be quite raw, even atmospheric. Like a scene in a well-made movie. Strange things. Like a field full of dead humpback whales, mist/fog, a wagon that moves like a ship through the ocean of whale corpses, with a lantern hung from a pole- swaying. Very strange, yet in the dream it's as though it's commonplace. The moment it feels off-putting, the dream shifts venue, and potentially tone. If I go to bed anxious, of course I'm going to have nightmares. Nightmares are rare for me, though.

It won't be me in the dream, but I'll be feeling through them, if that makes sense. It's simultaneously me and not-me, but I'm only vaguely aware of this until my perspective shifts to show me the face of a character in the dream.

I'd say that my dreams are much more Si-Ne than anything else. I dislike them the most when they have elements of Fe and Ti. I don't want to fall asleep just to have judgments, ethical conundrums, guilt trips, or things I have to solve. So, most of my dreams are open perception exploration. Ne being my weakest function, they're not highly abstract and tend to be grounded in reality.

Reactions: ENFPurpleKitti
1 - 11 of 11 Posts