Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
3,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one: http://personalitycafe.com/intj-articles/14613-development-intj-children.html

I'm asking because I'm doing research on the subject, but I know from my own experience with the INFJ counterpart that this article series is somewhat... dubious. Frankly, I found myself laughing at a good bit of the INFJ one.

If you've read it before, were there any significant areas of contention for you?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,040 Posts
The only major difference is that I was temperamentally restless/anxious as a baby and didn't sleep as much as other infants and outgrew nap times. While I was calm when I was awake, if it was time to go to sleep and I wasn't ready, it was a bit of a struggle for my parents. Even now I take medication to help with my insomnia.

However, this is more temperamental than related to the INTJ personality construct.

Also, as with science experiments, I was interested in how things worked from multiple perspectives and so I was also deeply interested in religion, myth, folklore, fairy tales, or any parables which helped me understand the nature of whatever subject was being discussed.

Reactions: Severin

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I was an INTJ child and raised one, so that gives me a slightly different perspective. I'd say some of this is pretty good, but a lot could apply just as well to other types. Especially the description of young children, which applies to all introverts, or to any stubborn kid.

A lot of the description applied better to my ENTJ son than my INTJ. That was especially true of the girl who made her own clothes, "showing advanced skill" at the age of 10, and who then took charge of all her finances and took out a loan to go to the school of her choice. Neither I nor my INTJ son would have been interested in anything like that. Both of us had a more passive approach to life as children, adapting to what came along.

But my ENTJ son was very like that girl, He was determined to put together a computer himself at age 12. I told him okay, as long as he did the research and priced out all the components. He did it, and then successfully built the computer. That sort of take charge attitude is one of his dominant traits. My ESTJ brother was also like this. I think INTJ children are curious, but focus more on ideas than practicalities. They are less controlling of their environment, more passive than the essay describes them - in function terms, they haven't fully developed their Te yet, and are relying heavily on dreamy, perceiving Ni.

In all, I'd say the article tends to forget that Te is secondary in INTJs, and down plays the role of Ni in children. From what I've seen of INTJs on PerC and in life, Te comes into its own in the late teens - late high school, early college. That seems to be when most INTJs start showing an assertive and pragmatic side to their personality.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts