1,861 Posts
Generalized Anxiety Disorder
Depression

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
Depression

...does it count if, when I was still a child, a shrink once called me "pre-psychotic" because I lived in lala-land? She was not an NF.

I haven't been to a therapist recently, but suspect I also have PTSD and PASS.

·
Old Man
2,834 Posts
Dunno if it's a disorder but I have IBS, I'll be that guy at a party dancing and all of a sudden I run off to explode. I come back and do my thing though, it really doesn't bother me anymore.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Dunno if it's a disorder but I have IBS, I'll be that guy at a party dancing and all of a sudden I run off to explode. I come back and do my thing though, it really doesn't bother me anymore.
Yeah, I was going to say I have celiac disease. But then I wasn't going to say it since that's not what this thread is for. But then you have almost the same thing, or at least the same effects. I can control mine now that I know what it is though.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have clinical depression.
Or, well, I did, pre-Prozac-prescription.
The pills numb me so I don't really know whatever the fuckin hell I'm feeling nowadays, but it's better than depression. Marginally. Bleurgh.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Perseus Clinical Depression

I have clinical depression.
Or, well, I did, pre-Prozac-prescription.
The pills numb me so I don't really know whatever the fuckin hell I'm feeling nowadays, but it's better than depression. Marginally. Bleurgh.
According to the Beta version of the Perseus System, the INFP will probably require the following to ease her/his depression

1) A supportive role
2) Acceptance for who you are (without conditions and judgement)
3) Need to be regarded as authentic (opposite of false)

This means Respect is not one of your major needs for self esteem. It helps, of course, but it is not as important as the above.

You would like to recognised for what you do, so you can be seen as authentic rather than as important.

As a NT Rational I need rewards to enable me to be authentic. Respect doesn't pay the bills. Awards do not pay the bills either, neither does voluntary work.

Clinical Depression is an illness and I was diagnosed with this. It was probably not the main reason which in my case was a physical ailment. But the physical ailment prevented my from earning and therefore I was not autonomous and therefore depressed.

·
Registered
259 Posts
adhd, before they decide something along the lines of unipolar. that, or they didnt want to tell me what i was supposedly ”suffering from"

·
Registered
570 Posts
When I was a kid they thought I had all types of stuff: NLD, ADHD, OCPD, etc. Eventually they figured out I didn't have anything, and that I was just me :laughing: I'm a whole lot better now than I used to be though...

My father (who had adult-inattentive-ADHD and is a family physician) thinks I have mild inattentive-ADHD, but it would be mild anyway :tongue:

Marino, is it possible to have Asperger's and not have an NLD? Is it really worth listing them both?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Marino, is it possible to have Asperger's and not have an NLD? Is it really worth listing them both?
I think it is possible to have an NLD but not Asperger's, but yeah, I think having Asperger's means you have a NLD.

I was diagnosed with a NLD first, but my psychiatrist (I have had him since I was 12), diagnosed me with AS.

There ARE differences them between though:

"NLDers have normal emotions but are inept in expressing them and in recognizing them in others, to the extent that they are expressed non-verbally. Aspies, on the other hand, do not feel the same range of emotions. Though they may feel very deeply about many things, they may not cry or smile when it's deemed appropriate. They often have a flat aspect, and have difficulty with initiating or experiencing normal social relationships. AS individuals generally have greater social problems. Their highly restricted interests present an additional obstacle to their social functioning. These restricted interests seem to be peculiar to Aspies; they're not mentioned in the literature about NLD. This is the main difference between the two disorders, as they are most frequently defined clinically (Forrest). The ASer's odd behaviors, like rocking or flapping, can also contribute to their social problems. These are not present in NLD. In contrast, the NLDer's social ineptness is mainly due to their inability to read nonverbal communication, such as facial expressions and gestures."

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've had a myriad of diagnoses. Moderate bipolar disorder type A and Asperger's syndrome are the ones I know for sure.

But I've been misdiagnosed as well.

ADD. Obsessive compulsive disorder. Depression. ADHD. I think one doctor even used the term 'childhood crazies'.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Is it still cool and fashionable to have Asperger's? I know of a cool site where all the aspies get together to show off how cool and intelligent they are, they'll say "Einstein had Asperger's" and stuff like that every once in a while. Really cool stuff.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Bipolar Disorder II Rapid Cycling. Seems nice and under control thanks to major lifestyle changes.

·
Registered
650 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
I am lucky to never have been diagnosed with any mental healt conditions but I do have a seziure disorder and that sucks, I can get a little nervous when out in public and afraid I will have one, but that is about it.

I have a friend who has a child that has been diagnosed with generalized social anxiety disorder, along with a more specific anxiety disorder (selective mutism) clinical depresion and possible schizo effective disorder. I worry about that child a lot becuase they get no treatment of any kind now and their behvior has become quite alarming to me. I really think they might be a danger to themselves or others and have no idea what to do anymore. :frustrating::sad:

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Panic Disorder
Insomnia

Typically they don't diagnose GAD and Panic disorder at the same time, but I'm a rare case apparently. If I don't take my meds, I get anxiety attacks, but if I keep on not taking my meds I start having panic attacks too. And what's worse is that it isn't just one attack, but it rolls over into continuous attacks, so I can have a solid attack for days on end until I get medicine.

It's horrible. I remember when I realized what it was -- I was laying on my couch too scared to go to the hospital. I swear I thought the world was ending, and that my mom would be driving me out into the apocalypse. Then after she finally got me into the car I remembered I'd read about it. The reason I'd never noticed it before was because they'd misdiagnosed me with depression -- which, ironically, is the exact same treatment. They had me on a cocktail pill of anti-depressant, anti-anxylitic, and hypnotic, so when I ran out it all kind of fell apart. Now they have me on an atypical antipsychotic for sleep and anti-depressant for the anxiety though, that way if I run out of one, the other will pick up at least a little of the other's slack.

The nightmares are the worst though. If I don't take my meds and fall asleep during an atttack, I have the craziest nightmares that only amplify the fear when I wake up. I can actually feel fear in my sleep. It's awful...

Like this one dream I had where I was in a car going to this rock concert, and a volcano erupted. Then I got rolled over by hot magma...

Then my insomnia is bad too. I guess it's from the anxiety, but I get really uptight whenever I try to lay down. It's actually more stressful for me to try to go to sleep than it is to try to stay awake.

So they just give me something to kind of loosen me up. By loosen me up, I mean knock me flat :tongue:

1 - 20 of 243 Posts