Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently we have had lots of discussions on dreams, their meaning, purpose and reason. Some think they are spiritual and they answer questions. Others think them meaningless or purposeless, still others think they work on or resolve the issues that occupy our waking minds. What are your thoughts and what do they mean for you and in general?

·
Registered
385 Posts
I've always had very vivid dreams and back when I lived with my sister, I used to freak her out during the night. I would be crying in my sleep, scratching at walls and even jump out of my bed and race around the room. Once she woke me up I'd remember doing these things and exactly how the strange reactions fit into my dreams/nightmares. Most often it was in relation to something that I was working through mentally that day or the day before. Sometimes it was in relation to a big part of my life from years ago or meeting new people in the future.

My grandma as well as my older sister are same way. Everyone chuckles when we bring up our dreams like "there they go again!" :laughing: Most often I shrug it off but I've often wondered why we are different from the others and why we project everything into dreams like that.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
The result of an alien inside us (also known as the brain) processing mundane crap in a trippy dimension. I connect the dots in dreams and in my every day life, they're subtle patterns portraying different alternatives to what actually happened. Dreams are a wonderful thing, once regained. Depressed mind stops dreaming, literally.

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
Well last night I tried to tell my Grandfather (dead over 20 years) at his house that my father had passed. I was concerned about his feelings.

Later on in that same dream I confronted Lucifer who had began a conversation with me as some random dude, who just a little before had been my Grandfather. I never really cared that it WAS Lucifer, because, there are rules. Even the prince of darkness can't really make you choose anything, ... free will is alive and well, even in dreams.

Even in dreams IT IS ALL YOU, ALL YOUR CHOICE. The only question is WHY you choose that. So, what is the answer?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Dreams are residual activity in the limbic system of the brain during sleep, when the frontal lobe becomes inactive while the limbic system does not (typical for sleep). If you're stressed about something or emotional about something, that activity in the limbic system can cause dreams, which, since it's unfiltered by prefrontal cortex (our logic center), are fantastic and unrealistic. So in one sense, dreams are your brain's way of working through emotions in your sleep.

On the other hand, certain foods or environmental stimuli can create residual activity that also cause dreams, which are entirely meaningless and are basically your brain vomiting random bits of sensory input from your short- and long-term memory. If you've ever eaten chocolate before bed or left on a loud TV program, you know what I'm talking about.

When it's all said and done, though, dreams have "meanings" insofar as they sometimes reveal stresses and deep emotions you might not pay attention in your semi-conscious mind. They aren't the Psychoanalytic end-all be-all that Freud and Jung thought they were. One person's symbol isn't another's, and there isn't some code we were born with that means trees = fear of being trapped or teeth falling out = fear of being embarrassed. What you make of dreams, though, is meaningful, just like what you make of a horoscope or tarot card can reveal something about yourself. That's a purposeful, intentional, and conscious mental act that has ramifications for your emotions and thought processes.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Before I started HRT my dreams were fantasy based such as turning into a Dragon with a school backpack.

Then after 6 months they changed to real life based such as fostering a child who was eventually adopted and ran away from home so I had to convince her to go back to the parents that adopted her.

Now another 6 months later they are a mix of the two and have chapters as well as the ability to finish the dream the next night.

To me dreams are just my mind passing time by "writing" stories and maybe a little insight thrown into it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Introvertia's comments struck me as accurate to my own experience with dreaming. I still dream of journeys, often complicated and detailed and even dream about work experiences from long ago, not in detail but in being able to accomplish some task. Most make no sense or connection to my recent life. I sometimes try to dream on some topic and that never works. All, thanks for input.

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." Dr. Seuss

·
Registered
11,386 Posts
for me, dreams that are striking enough to be remembered seem to be a way for my mind to get a certain emotional state onto my conscious radar. the storylines that got it there are pretty inventive, and often quite meaningless. what counts in my case is the flavour the dream leaves behind.

i personally don't view them as ways of 'working through' anything though. dreams for me showcase the problem, nothing more. in that sense they're pretty much flat reportage. it's up to my woken-up self to take it any further than that. i do find them interesting, although it's only the occasional dream that is forceful enough to stay with me after i'm finished sleeping.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts