Personality Cafe banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soooo, one or more of you might know about my current stalker-like obsession with an ENTJ right now! Sorry, you guys are just absolutely endearing to me.

He's been really kind to me these past few weeks and I want to thank him for inviting me to prom and going out of his way to do tiny favors for me. :D

Would giving him a small present in this case be appropiate? Do you guys like presents? If so, what kind of present would you like? (Useful, cute, thoughtful?)

We both share a hobby of Pokemon and so I was thinking of making a small felt keychain of his favorite Pokemon. Would that be too little? Or should I get him something more useful like a giftcard? (Although I would rather not because that's a little... impersonal...) :p

TL;DR: Would you ENTJ's like to share what kind of presents you like the best and your experiences with them? :laughing:

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
o_O

Poke'NTJ. LOL. Sorry, I just can't picture it.

I accept thank you gifts, but that's about the only kind. I don't like feeling like I owe people. I like virtually everything, but food is always a good bet. It's really an inferior way thank me, though. I'd rather have an IOU for something useful. I suspect this all comes down to personal preference.

Try to understand him. It's not out of bounds to bring this up in conversation and talk about it.

Reactions: pinkoctopus

·
Registered
133 Posts
I used to hate getting gifts. I would argue with people: I don't need it! Take it back god dammit!

Then, one day, I realized that being like that made me an a-hole.

So now I accept gifts. Often through gritted teeth. The best gifts are clothes.

However, in your case, you don't need to give a gift. Tell him how meaningful his time has been. That's all. We like no BS honesty. A gift adds to the BS factor.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
How long have you known this guy?

You might come off too strongly if you were to give him something so early.

Also there is an advice thread and a relationship thread already made. Next time you have a question like this put it there.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
This question highly depends on age, lifestyle, etc and not just personality type. For example, I have much different tastes now that I'm married, own a home, have a career, etc than I did when I was single, in college, had a 2 digit bank account, etc even though my personality type was consistent.

I like presents that are useful, but wouldn't buy myself... sometimes related to a hobby (like a new bike helmet). I'm not a fan of presents, but there are a lot of things I need that I'm on the fence about buying... or would never spend a lot of money on. If someone gets me that, it says "I know what you need." Likewise, it can backfire and say "I don't really know you." An exgirlfriend once bought me a movie I already owned and hated.... not a good present.

One of my favorite presents recently was a leather iPad case. The one I had previously was really cheap and flimsy. It wasn't expensive or fancy... it just something that I needed, gets a lot of use, and am better off now than before I received it. I also got a really nice set of leather gloves with cashmere lining a few years back - before that I never wore gloves. I'm also a fan of man supplies like cologne, shaving creams, etc. Before I rarely wore cologne and used the cheapest shaving cream possible - but no longer and at no expense to me.

I don't like gift cards because it forces me to shop somewhere and then makes me either waste it or spend additional money out of pocket. Occasionally they are okay if they don't force me to go somewhere I don't normally go - if its a restaurant I eat at a lot or a place I plan on doing shopping in the near future (I spend a lot of money on iTunes and the App store so I wouldn't mind a gift card to that). Also, not a fan of clothes because I have higher standards nowadays and unless I hold their hand through the process (this brand, this fabric, this cut, this collar, this cuff, etc.), they'll most likely buy me something that will sit in my closet until it eventually ends up at Goodwill.

·
Registered
ENTJ - 8w7
3,444 Posts
I like presents for what they represent. If someone takes the time to pick out or make something, targeted for me, then I must be doing something right. It doesn't really matter what it is, assuming that we can rule out presents of the flaming type that you leave on the doorstep... ;)

·
Chatterbox, MOTM August 2013
10,959 Posts
This question highly depends on age, lifestyle, etc and not just personality type. For example, I have much different tastes now that I'm married, own a home, have a career, etc than I did when I was single, in college, had a 2 digit bank account, etc even though my personality type was consistent.

I like presents that are useful, but wouldn't buy myself... sometimes related to a hobby (like a new bike helmet). I'm not a fan of presents, but there are a lot of things I need that I'm on the fence about buying... or would never spend a lot of money on. If someone gets me that, it says "I know what you need." ...
I think this way also.

I really appreciate a useful gift geared toward my interests. Recently my father-in-law (Mr. I-buy-every-new-electronic-device-that-comes-out) gave me his old (previously top-of-the-line) Kindle when he upgraded to the newest model. He knows that I read a lot and it was much appreciated. He also got the new iPad and gave me his old one. I love these types of gifts even if they aren't new. To me it says, "I get you ... I know you will like this". And I do.

I'm not a big fan of any sort of tchotchke, something that is merely decorative. Thank you for the thought, but that's probably going to have a new life at Goodwill and will be "adopted" by someone who like to dust that crap.

I like @wiarumas ' mention of "man supplies" ... lol. I like it when someone takes the time to find out what sort of scent I like in my "girly supplies" and gives something like that. But, if they just randomly give me something THEY think smells nice, it seems impersonal to me. Thanks, but no.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I agree with wiarumas and MsBossyPants. I only like getting gifts that I'd find useful, and that doesn't happen often. Mostly because I buy myself anything I need. He may find the gift card useful, but don't limit him to one store. Sometimes people get me gift cards that cover whole shopping centres.

But then again, if he loves Pokemon, maybe the necklace will be a friendly little gesture. He may not have any particular use for it, (I can't imagine him wearing a Pokemon necklace around!) but it's about the gesture and we will usually understand that when it relates to our interests.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.