Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im asking all types, what do you think of us ISTJ's? I just find in some places we harbour bad reputations.

Reactions: Grey

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I only know two ISTJs, one pretty well and another not so much. It's far from adequate to talk about the type in general, so I'll just try to describe the two that I know, : )

#1 - I think that he's admirable for his willingness to do what is expected of him, and is quite a nice person. Looks as if laid back, but actually not at all. Quiet, but not a doormat. He put his family first and resigned (?) to be a dutiful son for his parents. Hold back his emotions most of the time.
Sometimes I 'complain' about how boring he is, but honestly I respect him for his principles. People often praise the bravery of those who walk the road less traveled, but ignore another kind of bravery needed to trod the beaten track.

#2 - A RL casual friend who moved, and still talk online with once in awhile. I told him that trying to get to him to talk is like "trying to bleed a stone", but talking to him (rather, trying to make him talk) is rather interesting. In entirely poking-something-dead-with-a-stick way.
Like the first one, seems to have very solid, unmovable principles. I probably annoy him from time to time, but he doesn't really complain. He annoys me sometimes as well, I think it's fair.

·
mafia mod
13,312 Posts
My dad is one. Quiet yes, but dont let that fool you. His silence often means he is concentrating on some detail which would go unnoticed by some very extroverted NT's. In a working environment. They are content to work out the details, which I have no patience for. Their " stick to the rules" can get annoying at times, but I find they respond to a good argument on why established procedure wont work. You just have to take the time.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
The relationship I have had with the ones that I've known have been effortless in the context of work environment.

·
Registered
501 Posts
im asking all types, what do you think of us ISTJ's? I just find in some places we harbour bad reputations.
Join The Club! We ENTJs wouldn't know anything about that!

My husband's grandmother is an ISTJ. We live next door to each other in the middle of nowhere. I have gotten to know her fairly well in the last 7 years.

At first I bristled a little bit at some of her tendencies (rigid adherence to convention). However, when I got to know her well, I find that I have a lot of respect for her and her temperament. She is detail oriented...The Inspector. I admire that because it tends to produce great results and she is not above trying new things...if it can be proven to work better and not break with deep-seated beliefs.

Also, she rarely acts when she is emotional and I don't have to worry about coming off as emotionally insensitive, since she can also be a bit of a cold fish. When she gives gifts, they are always useful. She is NEVER late and always follows through with what she says she will do. That is awesome.

So in short, based upon my sampling of an ISTJ, I think y'all are pretty cool.:cool:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Very dependable, falry rigid in schedules and doing what is planned, and inable to express and felt tiring in expressing their emotions and explaining things. They don't trust people much i think, and feel that they are lonely. Hence they want to connect with others, but they wont have the kind of friendship found in ENTJ, like those kinds of passionate relationship.

Anyways, I enjoy staying with ISTJ, they give me very secure feeling, and they are quite independent. Competent despite no passion. I think ISTJ female is quite charming....coz they don't come to you in general, and they are very modest with a feeling of dignity. But sometimes it realli give me pain is that I cannot influence ISTJ with my passion as much as other types. I cant share something passionate with ISTJ, they just throw it into the sea. In a love relationship, when ISTJ feels connected with you, they will treat you really really good. But if they start to think that you are not that closed to her, then she isolates you immediately, like turning herself immediately into a robot without affection. Therefore, a long distance relationship with ISTJ is just extraordinary difficult.

Overall, I like ISTJ, and if i want a serious relationship, ISTJ is my first choice of people to choose....

·
Registered
667 Posts
I know an ENTJ who's married to an ISTJ (both personality types confirmed), and they get on very well and their marriage is happy. So either they're lucky or it's not a disasterous combination :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Usually I'm a mix of ISTJ and ENTJ, it just depends on how I feel.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
They are fine and can learn a lot from each other - ENTJ and ISTJs have more in common than most think with their Te and repressed Fi. The difference being ISTJ's insistance on policy, procedure, and the "correct" way to do things versus the ENTJ's lack of interest in how its done as long as it gets done. If the ISTJ trusts the ENTJ, they can get along fantastic although they may butt heads over the details which the ISTJ finds important (and the ENTJ views as trivial). And the ENTJ should be sure to listen to the ISTJ on how to do some things since the ENTJ will sometimes come full circle and reinvent the wheel rather than just listening to the ISTJ in the first place.

·
Registered
293 Posts
One of my good friends is ISTJ and I have to say that I love the guy. So much can be learned from someone who operates differently from you and I make sure to keep our relationship a intellectual exchange at all times. Now the great thing about him is that he is success oriented so when we get to talking business its amazing what idea's come up from both sides. Where ill be proposing big picture visions he will fill in the gaps and introduce detail where mine lacks. It's a great Combination I have to say!

I think ISTJ's are great people in general, though they could be very annoying if they become blindly institutionalized. It's refreshing to know a sensor who can see beyond what is presented to him. We will make a fine duo indeed.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I'm a fan. Reliability and integrity are rare qualities nowadays, and ISTJs generally have them in spades.

Also, I admire their sense of duty, even if it's a sacrifice for them. I tend to blow that stuff off in favor of my own mission, and I don't do the whole self-sacrifice thing.

Something about them that can annoy me, but also makes me envious - their strong attention to detail and their concern about the past/history. I tend to kind of "delete" the past in order to move forward (except for takeaway lessons), while they dig their heels in and insist on connecting each present detail to each past detail. Usually I consider such minutiae unnecessary and draining, but there have been times they held me back and prevented me from charging forward...and off a cliff, so to speak.

In my youth, I disliked them because they made me look unruly and headstrong in comparison. Lol. They were just way too well-behaved.

·
Chatterbox, MOTM August 2013
10,959 Posts
I'm an ENTJ who has been married to an ISTJ for 26 years. So, ... I think I like him. ;)

His personality is a good fit with mine. Because we have been together for so long, I think I can off you some insight into commonalities and differences between ENTJ and ISTJ.

Because we both use the T & J function, we're both logical and objective in our decision making, and can discuss or debate topics calmly and rationally. Because of that, we don't really argue that often. Neither of us takes criticism personally, so we can call each other out on personal habits we have that annoy the other person. I also know other ISTJs and have the same experience with them. I find ISTJs to be dependable and unflappable and they tend to have a calming influence on me.

We both like a certain amount of order and routine in our lives, but he tends to be much more rigid in that way. If not everything can be accomplished, I tend to prioritize things and do the important things first, and can more easily let the little stuff go. He is more likely to feel that everything has to be just "so". A simple way to explain this is: I can go to bed if there are dishes in the sink. He will go do them because it will bug him knowing they are there.

He is introverted and I am extraverted, so we compliment each other well. Although he is friendly and accepting of people, he doesn't put himself out there, so to speak. If someone approaches him, he can actually be quiet chatty, but has difficulty approaching others. Because I am extraverted, I can talk to anyone about anything (pick a topic, discuss). If I find someone who I think may be a good friendship fit with him, I'll pull him over and introduce him. I call this "arranging a playdate for him", and he good-naturedly takes the ribbing. His introversion helps rein in my chattiness and gregariousness when it may be inappropriate. He'll usually say, "you need to be a little less 'you' right now. Again, I find this to be true with other ISTJs.

I think the biggest differences between us, and our biggest challenges, are in his "sensing" function and my "iNtuitive" function. When we do disagree or argue, it's usually because of this. I am much more future oriented, and he is oriented in the present, or relies on doing things the way he has done them in the past. A simple way to explain this is: I see situations as I would look at a chess board. I look at the whole board, seeing all the pieces and how they they can be moved, and the consequences of those moves. And I think several moves ahead .... if this, then that.... so that I already know what my counter move is going to be in any situation. I plan.

He sees things more like a tennis match. The ball is coming at me, I need to hit it, I'll place it there. Then wait for the ball to come at him again. He reacts.

The problems arise when he wants to do something that I can "see" isn't going to work, or will not have the outcome he expects. I try to explain to him why it won't work, and he tends to become argumentative or defensive of his postition. He'll ignore my advice, and do it anyway. Then, when it doesn't work, he resents that I could figure it out and he couldn't. He'll sulk.

When I have what I think is a really good idea, I'll get excited about implementing it without taking the time to "sweat the details". He'll try to explain to me that some aspect of it is impractical or something may take longer than I think. I think he doesn't "get" it. Then, when it turns out he was right, I get frustrated with myself. I vent.

Over the years, this happens less frequently because we have learned to compensate. We play to our strengths. Example: I'm in charge of long-term planning such as investing our retirement money and he is in charge of making sure the bills get paid.

I think the key to getting along is to understand your commonalities and differences.

Well, that, and separate bathrooms.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I'm an ENTJ who has been married to an ISTJ for 26 years. So, ... I think I like him. ;)

His personality is a good fit with mine. Because we have been together for so long, I think I can off you some insight into commonalities and differences between ENTJ and ISTJ.

Because we both use the T & J function, we're both logical and objective in our decision making, and can discuss or debate topics calmly and rationally. Because of that, we don't really argue that often. Neither of us takes criticism personally, so we can call each other out on personal habits we have that annoy the other person. I also know other ISTJs and have the same experience with them. I find ISTJs to be dependable and unflappable and they tend to have a calming influence on me.

We both like a certain amount of order and routine in our lives, but he tends to be much more rigid in that way. If not everything can be accomplished, I tend to prioritize things and do the important things first, and can more easily let the little stuff go. He is more likely to feel that everything has to be just "so". A simple way to explain this is: I can go to bed if there are dishes in the sink. He will go do them because it will bug him knowing they are there.

He is introverted and I am extraverted, so we compliment each other well. Although he is friendly and accepting of people, he doesn't put himself out there, so to speak. If someone approaches him, he can actually be quiet chatty, but has difficulty approaching others. Because I am extraverted, I can talk to anyone about anything (pick a topic, discuss). If I find someone who I think may be a good friendship fit with him, I'll pull him over and introduce him. I call this "arranging a playdate for him", and he good-naturedly takes the ribbing. His introversion helps rein in my chattiness and gregariousness when it may be inappropriate. He'll usually say, "you need to be a little less 'you' right now. Again, I find this to be true with other ISTJs.

I think the biggest differences between us, and our biggest challenges, are in his "sensing" function and my "iNtuitive" function. When we do disagree or argue, it's usually because of this. I am much more future oriented, and he is oriented in the present, or relies on doing things the way he has done them in the past. A simple way to explain this is: I see situations as I would look at a chess board. I look at the whole board, seeing all the pieces and how they they can be moved, and the consequences of those moves. And I think several moves ahead .... if this, then that.... so that I already know what my counter move is going to be in any situation. I plan.

He sees things more like a tennis match. The ball is coming at me, I need to hit it, I'll place it there. Then wait for the ball to come at him again. He reacts.

The problems arise when he wants to do something that I can "see" isn't going to work, or will not have the outcome he expects. I try to explain to him why it won't work, and he tends to become argumentative or defensive of his postition. He'll ignore my advice, and do it anyway. Then, when it doesn't work, he resents that I could figure it out and he couldn't. He'll sulk.

When I have what I think is a really good idea, I'll get excited about implementing it without taking the time to "sweat the details". He'll try to explain to me that some aspect of it is impractical or something may take longer than I think. I think he doesn't "get" it. Then, when it turns out he was right, I get frustrated with myself. I vent.

Over the years, this happens less frequently because we have learned to compensate. We play to our strengths. Example: I'm in charge of long-term planning such as investing our retirement money and he is in charge of making sure the bills get paid.

I think the key to getting along is to understand your commonalities and differences.

Well, that, and separate bathrooms.
My wife is an ISTJ and I agree with this entire post.

Though I'd like to add.... I don't mean to brag, but I'm rarely ever wrong. That usually ends up in the description you've listed above (with the ISTJ becoming defensive, resentment, sulking because I've defied her comfort in standardized procedure) OR it gets thrown back in my face because I reinvented the wheel - coming full circle back to what she was trying to say to begin with. As a female, you can get away with it probably... but as a male, I have a "listening problem" haha.

·
Chatterbox, MOTM August 2013
10,959 Posts
My wife is an ISTJ and I agree with this entire post.

Though I'd like to add.... I don't mean to brag, but I'm rarely ever wrong. That usually ends up in the description you've listed above (with the ISTJ becoming defensive, resentment, sulking because I've defied her comfort in standardized procedure) OR it gets thrown back in my face because I reinvented the wheel - coming full circle back to what she was trying to say to begin with. As a female, you can get away with it probably... but as a male, I have a "listening problem" haha.
What a coincidence ... I'm rarely ever wrong, either. People find that really annoying.

But, if someone else presents a sound, logical argument even if it is completely opposite from mine, I'm willing to consider it. If I come to believe I may be or am wrong, I change my position. I read a comment by @Sovereign in another thread this morning that was similar to that. I believe he said something like ... Being right isn't as important as being correct. (sorry if I'm misquoting you). I read that and thought, EXACTLY ! If that happens, I don't necessarily say "I was wrong", (I might) but I have no trouble telling the other person that they made a compelling argument and I now agree with their position, or certain aspects of it. I think it's that ability to not take things personally, to be focused on the bigger picture - the correctness of the position, rather than being right, that makes us able as ENTJs to shift gears and keep moving forward to the ultimate solution to a problem. It's why we lead well.

I can't speak for all ISTJs, but with my husband, he is not willing to change his postion. For him, it's more important to be right than correct, even in the face of proof that he is wrong. That sounds ridiculous to me, but there it is. The metaphor that comes to mind is the pilot who flies the plane into the side of the mountain because the instruments can't possibly be wrong, even though he is looking out the window and sees the mountain in front of him. I think this is because he lives in the moment, based on what has occured in the past. The argument would be ... this is the way it's always been, so it's correct now. Or, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Where as ENTJs look at the situation and think ... F*** it, let's break it and see if we can make it more efficient.

Wiarumas, you said that as a female, you thought I could get away with that. I can't. At least not with my husband. He also believes that I have a "listening problem". I believe he has a "hearing problem".

Reactions: OLaLa and sriracha

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
One of my best friends is ISTJ. I enjoy our friendship very much. I admire the depths of her loyalty, dependability, and commitment. Her sense of duty is unparalleled. She is intelligent and one of the few people I know that will look at all sides of the situation before weighing in with her perceptions. She can be a bit of perfectionist with herself and others and I think she could lighten up a bit.

She is one of the few females that I have formed a bond with. She is completely trustworthy and reliable and that goes a long way with me. She helps me to see the details and minor points and I help her to see the big picture and connections. I appreciate that I can be myself with her and she accepts me and loves me as I am.

Oh yes, she has the patience of job and has incredible listening skills. She has been my sounding board on countless of occasions. I like that I can "think out loud" and brainstorm with her because it has helped me to calm down and prevented me from making hasty decisions. I can trust her feedback because I know she has my best interest at heart.

She is independent, resourceful, brilliant, organized, structured, and logical. I joke with her all the time saying that I need to find a male version of her. :D

However, my ex-husband was xSTJ not sure if ISTJ or ESTJ....now that was another story and "ex" says it all. :(

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Being right isn't as important as being correct.
You hit it spot on. I think we're like this because we don't place any emotional investment in our arguments. At least, I and my other xNTJ friends don't. I see someone attacking my views as fun. I get to see if they can make a compelling enough argument to beat mine. If mine loses, I simply absorb what I learned and change the view. However, that doesn't happen very often. Somehow I bet all of us in this section of PerC have a tendency to be right all the time. :wink:

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
You hit it spot on. I think we're like this because we don't place any emotional investment in our arguments. At least, I and my other xNTJ friends don't. I see someone attacking my views as fun. I get to see if they can make a compelling enough argument to beat mine. If mine loses, I simply absorb what I learned and change the view. However, that doesn't happen very often. Somehow I bet all of us in this section of PerC have a tendency to be right all the time. :wink:
The way I see it, when I discuss something, I'm just sharing with others what I know on a subject. I expect others to do the same so we can objectively pick at an idea as it exists between us (if that makes sense). This is beneficial because right and wrong ideas don't exist inside me, but rather they are observations made outside of me - like attributes to an item. When I'm wrong, its because I'm not seeing the full picture or have misunderstood something. Its the other person's job to apply their objective thoughts, views on the object and we discuss them (objectively) to come to a conclusion. As things come up, they stick to this abstraction or are dismissed helping form a coherent black and white truth. Unfortunately not all people approach problems like this and I think thats why some people think we are stubborn, know it alls, etc (we dismiss your view because its invalid - nothing personal... or we have to preserve my opinions because nothing you said has been substantial enough to dismiss it).

When I say I'm always right, its because I always accept the right answer. Not because I know everything by default. My "wrong" answers are justifiably correct on their own terms, just lacking critical information, thus they are abandoned with the new information because its essentially a new problem. More like an "Oh, that new information changes everything!" scenario. :tongue:

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
No U R Wrong, buddi. :happy:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.