Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
These attraction claims are really lose!

In a practical sense, I've found the idea behind some theory, which says that people attract their opposite half (e.g. a Ti-Ne attracting a Fe-Si) is over-doing things.
I.e. I find usually some common ground but with some key differences works great.

An INTJ with some legitimate Fi might be great for an INFP, in that the INFP may encourage the INTJ's exploration of Fi, while the INTJ might encourage the exploration of the sensitive point, Te, in the INFP.
Their both being introverts might afford sufficient common ground that they get each other pretty well.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I get along well with INFPs at an emotional distance. Their whimsical and introspective nature is charming. I do not see the attraction regarding close personal relationships. They tend towards being dreamy, overly idealistic, impractical and prone to mistakes and distraction and that has always tried my patience.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Only ever met two or three and didn't like any of them. One in particular got on my nerves like nobody else ever has; he combined extreme idealism with extreme passiveness and as a result was astoundingly haughty and unrealistic. I'd like very much to meet one who isn't like that, though.

Reactions: aendern

·
Registered
568 Posts
I'm a fucking INFP magnet, so I'll gladly share my experiences. My ex is an INFP, my best friend also. As @bearotter correctly guessed, I like INFPs for how they help me work out my Fi. Their creativity is intriguing to me. When an INFP loves you, it's really fucking great. They love above all else to please and care for their loved ones. Being awful with Se, their help and the many favors they do for me are more than welcome. We connect greatly thanks to our intuitive natures. Sure, their inferior Te drives me nuts at times, and they can be way too heavy emotionally. But everything comes at a price, and since it's so easy to be listened attentively by them and that they truly seek to understand me, I am willing to take on a lot and endure for them. I prefer them over ENFPs since they are not as energivores and quality time comes easy.

·
Registered
INTJ 5w4
6,886 Posts
I've heard that INTJ's and INFP's tend to be attracted to each other. So I wanted to ask what do INTJ's think of INFP's normally?
INFPs have caused me more pain than anyone else in my life.
And that's because they are the only ones who know how to power down my deflector shields, even against my express wishes and without even being in my physical presence or sometimes even when they are in another room out of both sight and earshot...
Eerie, this is.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I know a couple INFp's...... can't deny the fact that I like their conversation at least in short doses. One in particular she'z a bartender at one of my fav beachside sunset spots....... I always enjoy her conversation - we both can tune into each others channel and hear whats playin. Given that I still have no respect for her as i think she's a fuking idiot; her life's a mess she's a mess -
I like her but she's a fuking idiot.

<<<<<<<<----------------------Take it frum a koon!

I think my mother was an infp...... I never really new her perse' as I grew up in foster homes; was never adopted; tho I was always aware of her and had some contact in the course of my childhood with her albeit limited. In retrospect I can see she had the symptom of an infp; although at this point in my life I'll never know for sure and never will.

Reactions: VinnieBob

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
INFPs have caused me more pain than anyone else in my life.
And that's because they are the only ones who know how to power down my deflector shields, even against my express wishes and without even being in my physical presence or sometimes even when they are in another room out of both sight and earshot...
Eerie, this is.
INFPs and INTJs are usually pretty good together, but you've highlighted something I've noticed several times. I know a few INTJs who were "ruined" by an INFP. As in, they took a perfectly good, confident, intelligent person and made them unable to function.

It usually had something to do with forcing Fi out of them, and then making them feel like their goals were meaningless because they don't "know what's important in life," which depressed them and made them unable to function eventually. I was ultimately the one who had to "fix" them and get their mind back into working order. That was a mess.

When the relationship between them is good, it's really, really good. But when it's bad... it's awful.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Ah, I love my INFP best friend, our friendship is what I consider 'one of the most successful human interactions I've ever had'. I've known her for many years before we became seatmates last year, and when we started talking, we simply clicked together like pieces of a puzzle. We connected on a rather weird level, we'd talk about all sorts of stuff, mostly philosophy and psychology, sometimes intellectual stuff and facts because we are both very open-minded keen learners.

The weird part is although we are very close on a psychological level, we are not close on a physical level, which means we don't bump shoulders and hang out on weekends and mock each other. It's obvious we have a deep understanding of each other and a rather strong mutual respect, but then it doesn't have the usual 'best friend' quality to it, which to me is kinda refreshing.

Now even though we are in different classes and hardly talk anymore, even when we just pass by each other I don't talk to her because only 10 minutes of chatting with her would just leave me longing for more, we need to sit down together in a nice quiet place and talk for hours and hours, which we do once in a while. Another thing is that we're like our own group, we never talk about anyone else when we're together, we don't have other people in our group, we don't mix with each other's friends. I kinda like it, it makes me feel special the way I make her feel special. :)

*lolIshouldstopranting :p

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah, I love my INFP best friend, our friendship is what I consider 'one of the most successful human interactions I've ever had'. I've known her for many years before we became seatmates last year, and when we started talking, we simply clicked together like pieces of a puzzle. We connected on a rather weird level, we'd talk about all sorts of stuff, mostly philosophy and psychology, sometimes intellectual stuff and facts because we are both very open-minded keen learners.

The weird part is although we are very close on a psychological level, we are not close on a physical level, which means we don't bump shoulders and hang out on weekends and mock each other. It's obvious we have a deep understanding of each other and a rather strong mutual respect, but then it doesn't have the usual 'best friend' quality to it, which to me is kinda refreshing.

Now even though we are in different classes and hardly talk anymore, even when we just pass by each other I don't talk to her because only 10 minutes of chatting with her would just leave me longing for more, we need to sit down together in a nice quiet place and talk for hours and hours, which we do once in a while. Another thing is that we're like our own group, we never talk about anyone else when we're together, we don't have other people in our group, we don't mix with each other's friends. I kinda like it, it makes me feel special the way I make her feel special. :)

*lolIshouldstopranting :p
Wow! What a great friendship!

·
Registered
4 Posts
One of my closest friends is an INFP, we met working on a job and bonded instantly - one of the few times that's happened in my life, actually. we complement and understand each other in ways that I've rarely experienced with others - hard to figure it, really.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
I really like INTJs a lot, I respect them a great deal. I find it very flattering if an INTJ takes notice of me because I am not the type to approach them. They seem to enjoy their alone time like myself. I find them very wise and a bit warmer than ENTJs, I am not sure why they are always described as cold. Romantically, I think we would probably bore each other or I would annoy them with my Te ineptitude. I do find that the ones I have met have been very patient with my feelings and have offered help. I don't buy that they are these emotionless cold erudites who find themselves so superior that they scoff at other people who may not be at their same level. My INTJ Pop-Pop (he was from England) always made an effort to try to connect with me; although he may have thought I was much smarter than I was or just completely out of touch with my generation. I remember when I was 8, I was reading this series of books called "The Babysitters Club". He handed me "Patriot Games" by Tom Clancy. I remember thinking it was sweet but felt awkward because I knew I wasn't going to read that thing lol. He also tried to teach me chess...but again, no thank you Pop-Pop ;). He was good to me and he always made an effort. One time I remember crying my eyes out because my little baby cousin I adored was moving to another country. He came in right away and tried to make me feel better. My mother and uncles were amazed, apparently he was different when they were younger. They all seemed so scared of him, but I never felt that way. I just did what I wanted and treated him respectfully (maybe a little blunt...but not mean). I think he enjoyed being around someone not trying to impress him or he wanted to make amends for being somewhat of a shitty dad to my mom and her brothers. Who knows, but I miss him.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My father is an INFP and my EX girlfriend is an INFP as well...
i find their 'logic' very annoying because they just refuse to make sense sometimes.
I don't know if it's just me being unlucky with them but when we were arguing they feel like they cannot win the argument by making sense so they try to suppress me with their feelings. eventually i started communicating with them on a very basic level.
and the relationship with my ex gf was very exhausting for me, it took me a couple of months to rehabilitate from it.
in general it seemed like their life is a mess and they are forcing themselves to go in a random direction without thinking much about where they go. even though, i'd like to admit that some conversations with them were quite interesting.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
My father is an INFP and my EX girlfriend is an INFP as well...
i find their 'logic' very annoying because they just refuse to make sense sometimes.
I don't know if it's just me being unlucky with them but when we were arguing they feel like they cannot win the argument by making sense so they try to suppress me with their feelings. eventually i started communicating with them on a very basic level.
and the relationship with my ex gf was very exhausting for me, it took me a couple of months to rehabilitate from it.
in general it seemed like their life is a mess and they are forcing themselves to go in a random direction without thinking much about where they go. even though, i'd like to admit that some conversations with them were quite interesting.
I generally don't argue/debate well with INTJs, you guys tend to want PROOF of why I am feeling a certain way. When I say proof I mean an argument modeled after something like this:

Text Diagram Line Font Circuit component

It it is very difficult to speak with pure 100% logic when emotions are involved. Maybe she wanted a deeper emotional connection, she wanted it to be with you, when you didn't provide that she thought in her mind that you must not have cared much for her. I have been guilty of being upset when my ENTJ husband doesn't express his feelings as freely as I do (hehe I know good luck with that!). INFPs really want to understand people, what makes them tick, why they act certain ways, etc. I think it was probably a big communication problem. Her feelings overwhelmed you and she couldn't express what she needed from you in a way that made sense to you. She wanted you to show....vulnerability. That builds intimacy.

Or maybe she was batshit crazy?

Just making wild guesses.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a few INFP friends, one of them being one of my closest friends, who I get along with very well. Although, when differentiating feelings (especially morals) come into talking I tend to back away quickly. We have difficulty finding common ground there, so it tends to require an openness on their part to accept my conflicting opinions, and a tolerance on my part towards theirs.

·
Registered
EIE-Ni ENFJ 3w4 368 sx/sp sang-mel
47 Posts
I have a really close INFP friend. He's pretty cool, and originally we did not get along. Based, of course, on an intellectual arguement in which he thought he knew how to put a picture into Microsoft Word (Common knowledge, kid!) and he of course, did not. But we get along pretty well right now. He's more likely to just step away from things and shy away from stuff rather than I do, not avoiding confrontation. But INFP isn't so bad of a type for me, it's those confounded ESFJ's that get me EVERY DAMN TIME!

·
Banned
536 Posts
I've heard that INTJ's and INFP's tend to be attracted to each other. So I wanted to ask what do INTJ's think of INFP's normally?
Yeah, I like you guys, most of the time anyway, you're sensitive but good fun to be around. INTPs seem to have a tendency to randomly explode though and say quite hurtful things, which is a bit disconcerting...

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.