Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do people say that annoys you the most?

Often I'll say something which is in the lines of "All humans want to think that they're doing the right thing in the end." then some idiot who hates that I just layed a blanket opinion over all people will say "Well not all people think that they're doing right. I mean sociopaths are a good example of that." *Wake rolls his eyes*

Have these sorts of moments with people often? I know I do.

·
Banned
932 Posts
well, I don't know about what people say, but something that people DO that really annoys me is when my roommates buy ingredients because they want to make brownies from scratch, come home, ask me to start making them, leave to go hang out with their other friends, come back in time for the brownies, and then I am left with the dishes..... and I didn't even want any brownies in the first place!!!!!!!!!! grrrrr [email protected]%^^%[email protected]$%^&%$ I feel so taken advantage of :crying:.... sorry for the side rant, this just happened to me tonight. :dry:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
This isn't exactly the samet type of scenario, but my ISTJ father dislikes anytime people talk without putting anything thought into anything. He used to like to say to people who tried to start arguments, "it's better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt." I don't remember who originally said that, but I think it's a good quote.

·
Banned
1,158 Posts

Often I'll say something which is in the lines of "All humans want to think that they're doing the right thing in the end." then some idiot who hates that I just layed a blanket opinion over all people will say "Well not all people think that they're doing right. I mean sociopaths are a good example of that." *Wake rolls his eyes*

for the record, sociopaths who are serial killer believe that what they are doing makes them better people. so lets think about that.

one thing i hear aot that pisses me off is people always try and make me talk and people say i dont consider anyone elses feelings.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
This isn't exactly the samet type of scenario, but my ISTJ father dislikes anytime people talk without putting anything thought into anything. He used to like to say to people who tried to start arguments, "it's better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt." I don't remember who originally said that, but I think it's a good quote.
I think it was Abraham Lincoln.

Reactions: Linnifae and niss

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Pretty much, anything that is said without general thought, understanding the meaning of the words being used, or missing contextual clues is sure to at least get a mental eye roll from me.

I'm a big believer in the quotes used so far in this thread. So many times I've cautioned someone that "you must remember, whatever it was that they (the other party) said or did, made sense to them at the time that they said/did it." And I could not begin to count the number of times I've borrowed the phrase "it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt," along with its companion phrase, "only a fool utters all that crosses his mind."

Using the incorrect word in speech or text. Using "literally" when you mean "figuratively," etc.

Using non-words such as "irregardless," etc.

Saying nonsensical phrases. Our waiter was a bit stressed this past Sunday when I took the family out to dinner. They were behind and needed a little understanding and patience from the patrons. He said, "We are short staffed to day. Please be patient with me and I'll get you what you want when you want it." I called him on it. Why do I need to be patient if you are going to bring me what I want when I want it? It was funny, we all laughed, but he did think about what he said the rest of the meal.:tongue:

You've found a button of mine. This kind of stuff drives me nuts.:crazy:

EDIT: I forgot to add about the contextual clues. If someone tells a joke and another party says, "no, it couldn't be that way because of <fill in the blank>." I just wanna slap 'em.

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
well, I don't know about what people say, but something that people DO that really annoys me is when my roommates buy ingredients because they want to make brownies from scratch, come home, ask me to start making them, leave to go hang out with their other friends, come back in time for the brownies, and then I am left with the dishes..... and I didn't even want any brownies in the first place!!!!!!!!!! grrrrr [email protected]%^^%[email protected]$%^&%$ I feel so taken advantage of :crying:.... sorry for the side rant, this just happened to me tonight. :dry:
Total fail. You need to confront these roommates over this. Something along the lines of, "I understand you wanted to make homemade brownies last night. If that's the case, why did you have me start on them and then leave, knowing that I'd end up making them? I thought YOU wanted to make them?"

Of course, if you wanted to be literal over it, if they pull that stunt again, as soon as they leave? Stop what you are doing, regardless of if you're in the middle of prep or not. When they come back and start raising cain over how you just left stuff laying around incomplete, you can point out that THEY were the ones that wanted to make (product), and that you were not asked or consulted over the matter.

And if you really don't want any to begin with, then just decline at the start. Remind them that they were the ones that decided on this, not you. If they leave a bunch of messy dishes, leave them. Wash your own dishes in the meantime, but leave theirs. When it starts getting gross, they'll get the message.

·
Banned
932 Posts
Total fail. You need to confront these roommates over this. Something along the lines of, "I understand you wanted to make homemade brownies last night. If that's the case, why did you have me start on them and then leave, knowing that I'd end up making them? I thought YOU wanted to make them?"

Of course, if you wanted to be literal over it, if they pull that stunt again, as soon as they leave? Stop what you are doing, regardless of if you're in the middle of prep or not. When they come back and start raising cain over how you just left stuff laying around incomplete, you can point out that THEY were the ones that wanted to make (product), and that you were not asked or consulted over the matter.

And if you really don't want any to begin with, then just decline at the start. Remind them that they were the ones that decided on this, not you. If they leave a bunch of messy dishes, leave them. Wash your own dishes in the meantime, but leave theirs. When it starts getting gross, they'll get the message.

yeah, thanks for the advice. It wasn't a huge deal, they said thank you multiple times [i think they could tell i was a little annoyed], and there was just a lot of miscommunication in the first place. It was [hopefully] a one-time thing because this was out of character for them and I was just annoyed at the time because I was really tired and the last thing I wanted to do was bake brownies. I'm over it by now, but thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
106 Posts

Can an ISTJ really do that?

Next time, just burn them and tell them they were late :shocked::laughing:

·
Registered
384 Posts

Oh man, I *HATE* this too. I KNOW that my generalization has holes in it. I know there are exceptions. Why do you feel the need to point it out? Just because a generalization has exceptions doesn't make it less valid in general. THAT'S the ENTIRE idea behind GENERALIZATIONS.

WHY do you people have a big deal with this? I really don't get it.

ughh....

·
Registered
175 Posts
When people say I don't care about anything and say I'm difficult to approach when problems need solving. Of course I care about people and I understand their problems. I just don't get all gushy and emotional when trying to help them solve them. My preference is to solve things the most rational and reasonable way and don't let emotion and idealogy get in the way of the problem. Unfortunately though, I don't think people really care what I have to say anyway though. :frustrating:

Reactions: 007phantom and niss

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Oh man, I *HATE* this too. I KNOW that my generalization has holes in it. I know there are exceptions. Why do you feel the need to point it out? Just because a generalization has exceptions doesn't make it less valid in general. THAT'S the ENTIRE idea behind GENERALIZATIONS.

WHY do you people have a big deal with this? I really don't get it.

ughh....
Those people are warriors against all statements about people which may create a negative light around the people. I find its really pity for all that they want to come out of words about others. How did people become like this? Its because it is all too politicized and they can't look with a objective view of how CULTURE creates communities, and trickles down to the individual's change.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
for the record, sociopaths who are serial killer believe that what they are doing makes them better people. so lets think about that.

one thing i hear aot that pisses me off is people always try and make me talk and people say i dont consider anyone elses feelings.
I realized my mistake my mistake hours later because I got Sociopaths and Psychopaths backwards. Thats not the point of this thread though, and I hope this hair splitting stops there.

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Can an ISTJ really do that?
Yes.

YMMV, but there's a breaking point for everyone. Including *this* ISTJ.

For instance, I used to organize all new incoming donations into a room where we kept those things. Everything was labeled and arranged very methodically. Except everyone ELSE kept messing it up; I'd have to go back about twice a year and spend a month each time cleaning up everyone else's mess.

The last straw came when one of the bosses decided to do a revamp without consulting me, and enlisted a few other daytime employees to "fix" it. It turned into a total nightmare. I washed my hands of it.

The top boss asked another employee why I hadn't been tending to it (she knows that I do a good job) and the other employee finally relented and told her that I'd gotten sick and tired of redoing it literally dozens of times after everyone else kept messing it up, knowing that I'd bail them out.

Her (the top boss) reaction was to agree that it was kind of dumb for me to keep doing it at that point.

Definition of insanity = continuing to do the same thing over and over, but expecting a different result next time.

So needless to say: they messed it up; if they fix it ... great. If not ... well, they are the ones that messed it up.

·
Banned
1,158 Posts
I realized my mistake my mistake hours later because I got Sociopaths and Psychopaths backwards. Thats not the point of this thread though, and I hope this hair splitting stops there.
i was agreeing with you

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I think it was Abraham Lincoln.
No, it was Mark Twain.
Actually, it is much older than either of them:

Proverbs 17:28 (New International Version)

28 Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent,
and discerning if he holds his tongue.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
"Be a man" I always seems like a bullying phrase, and I always rebel against it when told to me
Really? That particular phrase has never really bothered me. I am usually the stoic of the bunch and live by phrases such as:

It's mind over matter. I don't mind so it don't matter.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

It's time to suck it up.

Just Do It.

Do or Do Not; There is no Try. (For this phrase, Yoda is my hero.)

And similar phrases. I don't remember ever using the phrase "Be a man" or "Man-up" but to me, they have similar connotations.

This mindset has caused me a bit of grief, over the years. One way is because I tend to have little sympathy for people that say "I can't." When they start telling me about how they can't do something, because of some reason, I just hear "It's too hard." (in a nasal whiny voice)

And the other way is the toll it has taken on my body. Mostly knees and back. It doesn't stop me from going and doing all of the strenuous stuff, but it sure hurts like crazy, some days.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts