Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I love this forum. I come here often, either to just browse interesting topics or to find an answer to a question relating to MBTI (i.e. South Park character personalities).

Here is my problem. As much as I love PersonalityCafe I think that it has a VERY HIGH iNTUITIVE SLANT.

I want feedback from sensors! I want to hear what S's have to say. You all do make up 85% of the population, after all LOL

Do you like Ns? Do they annoy you? Do you feel like the online community (dominated by ituitives) bashes sensors?

I always need to hear both sides of every story and I feel like 90% of the opinions, feedback, videos, web pages and posts that I have read and watched have been from the N perspective.

Look on Youtube. Put in any personality that has an "N" in it and you will see tons of videos of people who are that discussing how they think. Do the same thing with an "S" personality and you might get one video, if that.

---------------Background (Why I Am Asking This)---------------

Now, keep in mind that I am a very high "N." My "SE" is my least developed function and though "Si" is my 3rd or 4th function I only use it when recalling data to back up my high Ne and Ti.

But, in all honestly, mostly ALL the forums and Youtube videos are dominated by Ns. I think that the reason is because we have a natural disposition to learning new things, how people think and how they process information. Most intuitives (Ns) are naturally drawn to Myers-Briggs, Kiersey, Jungian Cognitive Function, etc once they find out about it.

People who have taken the test who are "Ss" never seem to dive deep into it. In my experience most sensors (S) have, at best, a quick attention span for these kinds of things unless its for their job. They think its "cool" but not one that I have had take the test been drawn or fascinated my MBTI. They read their personality, think its "pretty accurate" and quickly move on without thinking about its actual application or dive into the finer points.

Am I wrong? Are there more sensors out there than I think who study and likes MBTI as well. I see some from time to time but its rare.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
There's not much sensor bias, really. I think that having an N preference is constantly overhyped, though. We noticed in our forum how an INFP article has about six paragraphs on how they use Fi, yet the same article for ISFPs only has one, and then quickly moves on as if there's nothing more to say about us.

If sensors weren't commonly portrayed as close-minded, boring and crowd-following individuals then I don't think there'd be a sensor bias at all. You'd be surprised how many sensors on here have mistyped themselves as iNtuitives, because they've fallen into the trap of believing that only iNtuitives can be imaginative, creative, thoughtful etc.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
I don't really see a huge bias anymore. There was for a while, but a bunch of pro-sensor threads happened and people lightened up about it (it caused alot of conflict though which wasn't great).
I like Ns, I have N and S friends and family, all who I like!

·
Registered
179 Posts
There is no denying the ratio of S to N in real life exceeds the amount on the internet. In my class if I were to type people myself I would be the only NT, there would be about 2-5 NFs, and the rest S's. But I am not the best typer in the world so...

Reactions: WesAnderson

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
I don't care what type you are, so long as you're not an asshole or a wimp, we should get along fine.

And just to counteract the N creative slant, I'm a screenwriter. Which means I get...oooooh, all creative and sparkly and stuff.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I don't really see a huge bias anymore. There was for a while, but a bunch of pro-sensor threads happened and people lightened up about it (it caused alot of conflict though which wasn't great).
I like Ns, I have N and S friends and family, all who I like!
lol, i noticed the change as well. for a while there was almost a "reverse-typism" theme going on.

side note: it's interesting to see the changes on this site, like a seed is planted and has a certain effect, such as what's held as a "common belief to PerC" changing from one idea and gravitating towards another (or maybe it's just my own perception and nothing to do with the reality of PerC...?).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm a sensor who's really got into MBTI. I came at it from an interest in Carl Jung, but I think I've got into it because of my interest in people and relationships as an introvert with extraverted feeling. But as for sensing, I think I do generally tend to glance over things, taking them on face value and don't often get deeply into things as much as I have done with MBTI. I do often feel overwhelmed by new technology - took me a while to get into Skype for instance. I guess like you say sensors prefer to use experience to learn new things rather than throwing themselves into something new?

I also find the Cafe slightly overwhelming as there's so much here, I want to go through it all systematically, the S that I am. Whereas an N might skip around the place quickly from one thing to the next. I think the internet is a great place for intuitives, there's infinite possibilities and distractions and you can have as much or as little as you want. So for me its overwhelming and often don't know where to start as I have little imagination for the possibilities of the internet and find myself stuck to the same websites. I know there's infinite knowledge out there but have to kind of plan what I want to find out.

Would be interested to hear what you think of my thoughts on your interesting question!

·
Ace of Spades
7w6 4w3 1w9 sp/so; Ni/Ne/Te-dom
3,253 Posts
A large proportion of N's are mistypes because the functions are often thoroughly misunderstood.

·
Banned
3,145 Posts
Yeah. We don't really think. We don't dive deep into anything that isn't blatantly shoved in our face. We don't really care for the deeper meaning of things or the global connections of anything. Nah.

·
Rebel without a cause
2,725 Posts
I find it very interesting to finally be on the receiving side of this kind of bias. Really. I'm male and belong to the ethical majority of Sweden, so this kind of treatment is an entirely new experience to me. :)

If I like Ns? Yes, I do.

People who have taken the test who are "Ss" never seem to dive deep into it. In my experience most sensors (S) have, at best, a quick attention span for these kinds of things unless its for their job. They think its "cool" but not one that I have had take the test been drawn or fascinated my MBTI. They read their personality, think its "pretty accurate" and quickly move on without thinking about its actual application or dive into the finer points.
Hm... This is like saying that Feeling-types would do exactly the same.

·
THE IRON GIANT
10,129 Posts
Here is my problem. As much as I love PersonalityCafe I think that it has a VERY HIGH iNTUITIVE SLANT.
I think that's normal for personality theory forums. I believe it's a by-product of the open nature of the Internet itself. There are blogs and websites all over the place filled with lies and stereotypes, and since they're so available and there's no rules policing these sites, people assume the stereotypes are true (here it is in print!).

There are layers of effect, I think: for one, some of those who test as sensing types see that bullshit and walk away. Second, the many dichotomy tests and websites mislead the creative, innovative, or intelligent into thinking they must be intuitive, or that one can somehow be "100% N" when that would be humanly impossible. Third, the cognitive function tests mislead people into thinking they can use functions that are in direct contradiction with each other. Fourth, nothing. There is no fourth thing, but I read somewhere on the Internet that ISTJs like lists, and four is bigger than three... and bigger is always better.

I want feedback from sensors! I want to hear what S's have to say. You all do make up 85% of the population, after all LOL
85%? That's easily the highest number I've seen for this. Source?

Do you like Ns? Do they annoy you? Do you feel like the online community (dominated by ituitives) bashes sensors?
All else being equal, Ns are no different than Ss to me in person. It's not a dichotomy that makes a difference to me. It's only when someone picks a type, any type, and reads a stereotype and then decides they need to act like that stereotype, that we have problems.

Now, keep in mind that I am a very high "N." My "SE" is my least developed function and though "Si" is my 3rd or 4th function I only use it when recalling data to back up my high Ne and Ti.
It doesn't work that way. If you're an ENTP, you're not using Se. You're using Ne, Ti, Fe, and Si, ideally in that order unless something's wrong. Ne and Se are effectively opposites. You use Ne and Si all the time, in tandem, on a sliding scale as the situation demands. They don't take in data, they define your attitude toward it. You'll be much more comfortable with Ne than Si. I'm guessing you're saying you're a "very high N" because of a cognitive function test, right? If you're ENTP, your Ne and Si are as far apart as they can be, just as they are for me, just in the reverse order. So yes, in that sense, you use your Ne much more comfortably than your Si.

But, in all honestly, mostly ALL the forums and Youtube videos are dominated by Ns. I think that the reason is because we have a natural disposition to learning new things, how people think and how they process information. Most intuitives (Ns) are naturally drawn to Myers-Briggs, Kiersey, Jungian Cognitive Function, etc once they find out about it.
Actually, I think it's because those who "have a natural disposition to learning new things, how people think and how they process information" assume they must be intuitive. It may also be in part because if you're an ESFP or ESFJ and you make a video, the comments would fill with those who believe the stereotypes. They'd be either insulting your intelligence or insisting you're mistyped if you're too smart.

They read their personality, think its "pretty accurate" and quickly move on without thinking about its actual application or dive into the finer points.
Actual "practical" application is one of the few positive traits that are consistently applied to sensing types, even in the stereotypes. I see it all the time in descriptions, things like, "sensors only care about theory if you can show them a practical application." That kind of fits me, in all honesty, but with personality theory, I get the point immediately: to understand myself and others. Bitchin' concept, I'm on board.

Am I wrong? Are there more sensors out there than I think who study and likes MBTI as well. I see some from time to time but its rare.
There are lots of them here. Many of the people here (Ns and Ss alike) take one test and trust the results. However, there are a number of busy, well-read, and deeply interested sensing types here who have gone deeper into the subject. I would consider @Functianalyst , @madhatter , @Kayness , @Fizz , @fourtines , @walking tourist , @KuRoMi , @teddy564339 , @Owfin, and @MBTI Enthusiast some of the best.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kitzara,

Thanks for the reply. I loved it. I agree with you. Sensors can have an imagination too. They can be smart and many of them are exciting.

So in your opinion what is the real difference between them?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't care what type you are, so long as you're not an asshole or a wimp, we should get along fine.

And just to counteract the N creative slant, I'm a screenwriter. Which means I get...oooooh, all creative and sparkly and stuff.
I have a question Julia. I am all about seeing every angle and all sides to everything. Here goes.....

ESTJs, as a whole, have a terrible reputation. Though usually high extroverts they seem to garner a lot of enemies. They have a image of being bossy, forward, concrete about everything (no gray areas) and many times jerks.

Frankly, I know a few and I could see how many people would think that. They more or less have the typical "ESTJ" bossy attitude.

Now, for me, you have to understand that I have thick skin and though they do annoy me I am not bothered by them. You know exactly what you are getting and I like how they get things done. Frankly, I am scatter-brained (which they hate) and I see the benefits of somewhat extreme "j-nish." Unless you are a rocket scientist being a high P causes you to back track a lot.

Ok, so here is my question. I figure I would go right to the horse's month: are the stereotypes true? Are you bossy? Do you rub people the wrong way even though you mean no harm?

Tell me what goes on in a typical ESTJ's mind.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Kitzara,

Thanks for the reply. I loved it. I agree with you. Sensors can have an imagination too. They can be smart and many of them are exciting.

So in your opinion what is the real difference between them?
Huh. The main difference I think is that sensors find satisfaction in the real world while intuitives find satisfaction in the world of possibilities and ideas. Though there's way more differences than that, that's just the main one I seem to notice.

·
MOTM June 2011
6,992 Posts
@WesAnderson: Your movies are too quirky, arrogant, and overrated you hack! That's what I think!

OK, I actually like some of Wes Anderson's films.

Also, don't make a thread like this, it treads on that line that just makes you look silly and ignorant. There's no difference in what we think about. My intention is not to insult you but by making a thread like this, you're insulting Sensors. Not only by the subject matter but grouping Si and Se users together.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Huh. The main difference I think is that sensors find satisfaction in the real world while intuitives find satisfaction in the world of possibilities and ideas. Though there's way more differences than that, that's just the main one I seem to notice.
What I am saying is that I have come to realize that though I love Myers-Briggs, Kiersey and Jung they all have a bias. They were all "Ns". When you are reading personalities they are typically coming from an "N" perception things.

Don't get me wrong, I love being an intuitive. But, my Ne, Ti and Si make me the ideal person to sniff out inconsistencies and I am seeing a huge one: point of view.

I have studied everything you can think of about MBTI/Jung/Kiersey and the thought hit me a week ago......

This crucial fact popped in my head (Ne) and will not leave until I get to the bottom of it.

All the major people who contributed to the MBTI system, as we know it today, were "Ns."

David Kiersey - INTP

Carl Jung - INFP

Isabel Briggs Myers - INFP

Katherine Briggs - INFJ

Peter Myers - ENFP

Katherine Myers - INFP

Not one of them was an "S." Now, as I recall in school (can't remember what class though) whenever you read anything you are supposed to examine the point of view. You need to understand what vantage point is the information being written from.

Does this person lean a certain way? have some type of prejudice? have a their own preconceived notions that are firmly entrenched?

So, what I am saying is that everything we know, all the things we studied, all the original personality tests, were written by people with somewhat of an intuitive lean.

That is why I think that all the S personalities are not looked high upon while all the N personalities are.

We are painted as the higher thinkers while sensors are painted as the village idiots.

Now, I am not saying this is not the case. In order for a few to have a large amount of power and money they must have a large number of followers (aka slaves, indentured servants, mill workers, pheasants, and so forth).

Think about how messed up if it was switched and 85% of the world was N and 15% S. Everyone would be thinking and there would not be enough action.

As an ENTP I always (its a curse) strive to see both sides as equally and unbiased as I can. Its impossible to be 100% neutral. But I want more Myers-Briggs materials and research done by sensors. I am wondering if any of the information we read about them has actually been written by them???

I might even go so far as to ask that the whole test be re-made. Its time. I want a panel of ten experts to work on it. Take Jung/ Myers Briggs and Kiersey and combine them altogether. I want half the experts to be Ns and the other half to be Ss. That way I know each side has equal input and we get a more accurate picture of how everyone really is.

-WesAnderson (Wesley Barras)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@WesAnderson: Your movies are too quirky, arrogant, and overrated you hack! That's what I think!

OK, I actually like some of Wes Anderson's films. Also, don't make a thread like this, it treads on that line that just makes you look silly and ignorant. There's no difference in what we think about.
Flizz,

Leave it to an ESTP to say something like that LOL Flizz if I didn't know you all love to get under people's skin (much like me) I would take what you just said seriously.

Now about Wes Anderson movies- they are a love em'/ hate em' genre. I will say that you probably do have to be an "N" to relate to them. His movies have all sorts of hidden meanings and what not.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Yeah, I can't say I'm overly fond of the tests either. They're all based on some nasty stereotypes... I almost always see questions asking if you're imaginative or factual. Being factual is a T thing, and being imaginative isn't restricted to intuitives! I think they need to be based more off the functions, and not the preferences... Keirsey's not too popular on this website for his pretty obvious sensor bias.

·
MOTM June 2011
6,992 Posts
@WesAnderson you quoted me before I edited it. I'm unintentionally harsh the first time around.

Also saying that Ns will relate to Wes Anderson films more is ridiculous. I know plenty of people of different types that enjoy his films.

Reactions: Spades

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
Flizz,

Leave it to an ESTP to say something like that LOL Flizz if I didn't know you all love to get under people's skin (much like me) I would take what you just said seriously.

Now about Wes Anderson movies- they are a love em'/ hate em' genre. I will say that you probably do have to be an "N" to relate to them. His movies have all sorts of hidden meanings and what not.
S types aren't incapable of getting hidden meanings, just like they aren't incapable of seeing that something is a pretentious cliche pile of pseudo-intellectual shit.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts