Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious what you do after your workday is done.

It's taken me a long time to realize I just need to head home, perhaps pick up food along the way, check my snail mail, put on comfy clothes, check email, eat dinner, and relax.

Later on I might go for a relaxing drive, run a simple errand, or go for a walk. Then play some casual video games, read, journal and go to sleep.

I've caught myself accepting invitations for dinner, golf, shopping or some other activity and as the day goes on, I don't want to go. It might be that people are draining more as the day goes on. I love my monthly bonsai meeting as its relaxing and fun, but it's still an effort to make myself go.

I'd like to hear what my fellow ISTJ's do after work.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I tend to fall into the trap of treating everything as a task. Scouts, church, even down time can become regimented.

Given the opportunity, I'll work 12-15 hours a day, which means eating, showering, a bit of surfing the net, and sleep is all that remains. When other events crop up, they usually cut into my work time, meaning that I leave work "early."

I do try to keep Saturday night through Sunday free so that I can spend time with the family.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I usually just go home, because I only have maybe 4 hours to wind down which for me isn't much time. I'm in bed by 8PM every night so I can get up early enough the next day for work except on weekends. I don't like to rush around because I believe that is how mistakes get made. I wake up between 3:30AM and - 5:30AM almost everyday which allows me to wake up and go through my morning routine. I'm not running around like a chicken with its head cut off trying to get ready to tackle another day as a result of my strong tendency to watch the clock like a hawk. There never seems to be enough time in the day anymore!

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Usual M-F routine (times are typical... I'm not THAT regimented):

• 6:30a-8:00a - Wake/breakfast/watch TV/shower
  • 8:00a-2:00p - Work (from home office)
  • 1:00p-2:00p - Lunch (eat, personal email, internet, walk)
  • 2:00p-6:30p - Work
  • 6:30p-7:00p - Unwind/decompress time (sit/walk outside, weather permitting)
  • 7:00p-8:00p - Dinner w/ family
  • 8:00p-1:00a - Varied... family time, TV, reading, Internet
  • 1:00a-6:30a - Sleep
Recent M-F routine (due to large work project):

• 4:00a-4:30a - Wake/breakfast/watch TV/shower
  • 4:30a-8:00p - Work (lunch while working)
  • 8:00p-8:30p - Dinner (w/ or w/o family depending on their schedule)
  • 8:30p-12:00a - Varied... family time, TV, reading, Internet
  • 12:00a-4:00a - Sleep
With the extra hours I've been working for this project, I much prefer to get up early than to work late. Keeps the family life closer to normal.

On weekends, the clock disappears (I know... not very ISTJ-ish). I sleep as long as needed to catch up on rest... typically until 9a but sometimes as late as noon. I often take a drive and pick up breakfast late mornings. Saturday afternoon is typically house/yard/car projects. Saturday evening is usually late casual dinner out (or grill at home... or bring take-out home) with family and (sometimes) close friends. Conversation or maybe a game after dinner, possibly watch a movie together. Lazy Sundays... sleep late/watch TV/internet in the morning. Watch racing/football on TV (or attend live NFL game in-season). Family dinner, then relax for evening.

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
I'm not ISTJ, but I want to answer. :p

(If that bothers you, I can erase my answer on request.)

I do other types of work outside of work. I build websites for small businesses, design and submit graphic art designs to various contests, write creative fiction, take classes in subjects of interest (currently learning html and java). When I have time between these, I read books.

I also play with the dog and go for walks. And sometimes watch Supernatural or some kdrama.

Oh yes, and PerC.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Sometimes I go to the library or the grocery store after work if I have time.
Most of the time I will just go home and do some chores, then settle down and surf the net or draw.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Sometimes I go to the library or the grocery store after work if I have time.
Amazon (and a few other online sources) fulfill those roles for me. Even if I do go to a local store in my off time, I go to BUY, not to shop. Quick strikes... in and out. Usually happens in support of those Saturday afternoon projects... Home Depot, Lowes, Auto Zone, etc.

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
Amazon (and a few other online sources) fulfill those roles for me. Even if I do go to a local store in my off time, I go to BUY, not to shop. Quick strikes... in and out. Usually happens in support of those Saturday afternoon projects... Home Depot, Lowes, Auto Zone, etc.
Is there a difference between buying and shopping?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Is there a difference between buying and shopping?
Indeed. There is no "let's walk around the stores" for me. I will get in the car and go to a specific store to buy specific items, or not get in the car at all. Research is done beforehand, online. And everything I can get on Amazon, I do. Love those rewards points on my Amazon credit card, too!

Off-topic but I must mention: Mr. DaisyChain is a diabetic. Finger stickies for testing blood sugar levels - at the drugstore: As much as one dollar per stickie. Same item on Amazon: 17 cents a stickie and free shipping.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Indeed. There is no "let's walk around the stores" for me. I will get in the car and go to a specific store to buy specific items, or not get in the car at all. Research is done beforehand, online. And everything I can get on Amazon, I do. Love those rewards points on my Amazon credit card, too!

Off-topic but I must mention: Mr. DaisyChain is a diabetic. Finger stickies for testing blood sugar levels - at the drugstore: As much as one dollar per stickie. Same item on Amazon: 17 cents a stickie and free shipping.
Amen to all points. I even order the needles for my insulin pens from Amazon.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Right now, my commute home is 40 minutes, for a few months more. But it's a straightforward highway with few traffic lights. I listen to music on the radio and think about what to eat at home and what to do.

Process the mail, do cat-related activities, eat, load dishwasher, sit outside on the patio with a cocktail. I just got a cool board game called "Ticket to Ride - Europe" (you build railways for points), and I love playing it at the dining room table. I play for two players and pretend that my cat Maxwell is the other player.

I'm having some anxiety issues with school right now, and the board game takes my mind off these things for a little while. I also do Netflix and watch serials - getting through "Star Trek: Voyager" again now. No idea how they put up with the super-ESFJ Neelix on that small ship.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
After my hour drive home (depending on traffic) I do anything except leave the house. Typically, it's something that helps me unwind and the more of it before bed time, the better. Generally, I head to bed with the feeling like I need more time in my day.

I guess it takes me an extremely long time to unwind. Is 3+ hours not enough, satisfactory, or plenty on average for you? I typically can't really start to relax until after the kids are in bed and quiet. I guess that usually means I get about 1 to 1.5 hours of real, honest calm down time instead of 3+.

Activities typically are watching a movie or playing a video game. Sometimes I'll read, though it's on my list of it'll-do-in-a-pinch activities because I don't read fiction any more (if it's a story worth being told, I'll catch it when the movie comes out...lol). When I do read, it's typically to engage my mind with some intellectual pursuit.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
After my hour drive home (depending on traffic) I do anything except leave the house. Typically, it's something that helps me unwind and the more of it before bed time, the better. Generally, I head to bed with the feeling like I need more time in my day.

I guess it takes me an extremely long time to unwind. Is 3+ hours not enough, satisfactory, or plenty on average for you? I typically can't really start to relax until after the kids are in bed and quiet. I guess that usually means I get about 1 to 1.5 hours of real, honest calm down time instead of 3+.

Activities typically are watching a movie or playing a video game. Sometimes I'll read, though it's on my list of it'll-do-in-a-pinch activities because I don't read fiction any more (if it's a story worth being told, I'll catch it when the movie comes out...lol). When I do read, it's typically to engage my mind with some intellectual pursuit.
I would say that I need at least 2-3 hours of wind-down time before I could consider going to sleep. This is another reason why in this current crazy project mode I'm in I prefer to get up and work extra early rather than working extra late. If I were to work late, there is no way I could knock off from work and then just hit the sack. Even when I wrapped up my 42 hour work day last week at around 12:30 in the morning, I just relaxed on the sofa and watched TV for more than two hours before I felt like I could even think of falling asleep.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I immediately turn on my computer, go prepare dinner, come back to my computer (because it takes a while for it to warm up and get going), check my emails and my YouTube channels, change out of my work clothes, turn on the tv and watch an hour of "Judge Judy", eat my dinner, stream tv shows on my computer for a couple of hours, then check my phone for missed calls, voicemails and maybe a quick game of "Angry Birds" while listening to my mp3, read one of my novels and then off to bed by 11:30.

Sorry, if it was too detailed.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Wait a sec ... are you saying that there *is* an after work for the ISTJ? :shocked:

Okay, what can I do to help the wind down time? Well ... I mean ... besides the obvious.

(In case anyone gets annoyed Disclaimer: ISTP = Thread derailer)
At least in my case, I was referring (in different posts) to two different types of wind down times. The first is just a buffer/transition period between work and home. Typically, it's a 30 minute or so period to organize my thoughts on the work day that was just completed, mainly to be able to put them away and not have to think about them once I am home. For me, this used to be my commute time, but now since I work at home it has become a similar time period where I stop working but do not immediately join the family. It's the same process... it just occurs while I sit alone outside or take a short walk. The overriding purpose of this buffer time is to allow me to not have to think about work at all once I'm home. I very much do not like thinking about work when I'm home. I try to keep them separated.

The second type of wind down time I referred to was the period of time I need to be ready to sleep. I cannot just stop working, or get home after a long drive or even a night out with friends and immediately go to sleep. It takes 2-3 hours of relatively quiet and mindless activity (TV, reading, internet, quiet conversation) for physical and mental systems to come off "alert status". This time doesn't have to be alone time... just low-key time.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Explanation.
Thank you :)
(practicing expression here so I'm giving you the reason for the thanks too)
My ISTJ and I both work in the same office. It's his. So I go there after my *real* job, to help out with things he just can't get to because there's so much. A lot of the time he is done before I am, because I don't start until after hours. I don't think I've ever considered the effect I have on him when asking work related questions during his wind down time. To me, it's usually just simple things that don't require too much thought, just a little more knowledge than I have on that particular topic, or client.
He never says anything negative about it and I'm sure it's because he knows logically that I can't ask during business hours since I have a separate job, plus there's the appreciation he has that I'm even willing to do this for him.
He stays up way too late and I do worry and he always tells me he just needs some wind down time. So what I get out of what I've heard on this thread so far is that if it is at all possible I should email him my questions if they are not urgent. Even though it may delay resolution by a day. That way he doesn't have to be bothered by work thoughts and might get to bed earlier.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts