Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I try to finish a novel that will hopefully bring some income, I'm working on a website that should also be able to provide income, which also involves having to learn Flash. So basically I'm a writer and programmer, though I hate using the terms when I haven't published anything yet. ~~
I slack too much. But I really like what I do. I wouldn't try and make it as a writer if I didn't feel amazing about building stories.

Semi retarded and way late edit: If anyone knows a lot about Flash and want to teach a bit, my butt is always available for kicking.

Reactions: Angel1412kaitou

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Well, I'm still in school now, and I'm majoring in public relations, but I do freelance web design on the side, mostly for musicians and actors, and it sort of ties into what I want to do in the future (I'm thinking digital marketing...). I enjoy it for the most part. The process is very fun for me, but, I mean, a job is a job, and designing for other people is never quite the same as designing something for yourself.

Sorry I can't help much more.

What is your choice of career? Just curious.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I work as a secretary but that gig will end in two weeks and am I ever so happy about that! For now, I'm looking to get something similar in a different environment where I will be happy and be able to pay my bills. However, I want to get my MSW so that I can become a therapist. God willing, I am going to apply to MSW programs this fall/winter and hopefully be in one come fall 2011. Wee! :laughing:

·
Registered
224 Posts
I do clerical work for a PhD program. I wouldn't call it a career, but it's a job for sure. I think the Animal Collective song 'Chores' sums up best how I feel about jobs/working right now! To me it says a job's a job; life's more about making time for what you enjoy. I don't know if that helps you any, but it's one way of looking at things while you think this through. :}

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Well it September I'll be going back to college again for a 2 year course, I play drums and would like to be a in a band but that's not happening yet. :frustrating:

I'm doing my own Manga but it's only a hobby since I ain't no expert, So really no career just hobbies. :tongue:

·
Banned
1,969 Posts
For my sins, I work as an IT Technician. The repetitive tasks and constant need for attention to detail make me a very unhappy INFP in the workplace. The money ain't bad but it sure as hell bores the arse off me.

I'm about to begin studying French for pleasure though, maybe that will lead on to something else. I'd love to study psychology because I've been reading books on the subject for years! I find the mental stimulation absolute bliss after a day fixing bloody computers.

In my spare time, I like to practice photography and I've even been known to write the odd short story (er... sort of; I never finished it ;p) and doodle, in spite of having zilch in the way of illustration skills. I suppose I just like faffing about really. Maybe that will one day lead to a much more interesting career!

·
Registered
444 Posts
right now I chat online for an awesome outdoor retailer, i get to talk to peeps about gear though technically I am "sales" and that part i kind of dislike, but meh. I get to work from home, which is just amazing. its not really a career - more of a typical college job. I'm majoring in psychology and *maybe* some sort of minor in fine arts/ photography.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'm a primary school teacher. I used to work in publishing but I found it a bit soul destroying and ultimately pointless, I was working on magazines that were all about direct mail etc and I thought it was awful how my job was enabling more junk mail to get to people and destroying the rainforests. So I went into teaching to do something meaningful with my life! I love it too. Sometimes the internal politics and constant criticism of management get me down as they always want more, but in general I enjoy the teaching and working with the children. On the side I also write novels and try to get them published and I do tutoring for extra money.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Text operator for a company in the UK. I hate it.
Also selling clothing on etsy.
Also working 5 other operating jobs.
Also selling my art on etsy.

I hate all of this. Because people make fun of me, and call me a loser.
Because they're twits.

Reactions: Angel1412kaitou

·
Banned
780 Posts
Nothing. I really have no desire to do anything either..just applying for jobs at this point.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I work on the road as a contractor drawing maps for a natural gas company. Amazingly, I get to do about 30 minutes of work per week and get paid really well to do it. This isn't the norm for my job, but the rest of my team was downsized so much while my job was considered a necessity for the remaining people. They are going to ramp up again soon, so all good things must come to an end.

Despite the benefits above, I really don't like it now that I've been doing it for nearly 2 years. I'm bored all day. I'm thankful that I have free time and I try to use some of it productively, but I usually piss it away surfing the net. I have learned a ton though about myself and what I want to do in life, so I see this past year and a half as having a major purpose as a turning point for my life. I was very lucky to have a period where I was mostly alone and free to be introspective for a long time to figure out what I needed in life. This time has really allowed me to relax, have an extended period to recharge, and come out strong in the next phase of my life, more now than ever before as I know what I want to do and am happy to be moving in that direction. Upon thinking about it, the past 2 years have actually been the best 2 in my life though I believe I can do way better.

But being bored, while not making my job enjoyable, is certainly no reason to dislike it. That falls to how I go home to an apartment I rent near my work while my wife is 3+ hours away at home for most of the week. I also dislike it simply because the job I'm doing has no meaning to me. I can't really get around how annoyed I am that I have to waste so much of my life being at a place I don't enjoy, no matter how easy it is or how much freedom I have.

Still, the job has enabled me to invest into the business that my wife mainly handles from home that we own, which is nearing a point where things are going so well that soon I hopefully can come back and work from home with her. I know I've been rather negative about the job because it takes a toll on me mentally, but I have to equally praise it for all the opportunities and lessons I've been granted from it.

I've decided to have a go at doing the "make your job what you love and you'll never work a day in your life" idea. The work I'd be doing from home would only take a few hours a day and mostly be creative in nature. The kicker for me, aside from working from home with my wife, is having so much spare time to really explore my other interests (playing drums, cooking, etc.) and also be around for the kids we hope to have soon.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Also, I hate work. I hate it all. I hate knowing I have to work to feed people and myself.
I hate people, I hate the interaction, usually the fake interaction.
I know that when you work at most places, you must have social skills.
I don't have them, so fuck them, fuck their fake shit. I don't need it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Currently I work for the city I live in doing street repair and construction, and plowing snow in the winter. Took the job for the benefits (health insurance). Before that I worked at a brewery making beer.... miss that job...:laughing: I also spent some time as a Network Tech for a small computer company, and a guitar teacher at a music studio. I also am a part-time Firefighter/medic in the city i live in. Currently have applications into and am on eligibility lists for several career fire departments. Being a full time Firefighter/Paramedic is what I really want to do.

·
Registered
114 Posts
go to school thats my job right now!:cool:

·
Registered
512 Posts
I've never held a real job,I've always been too different for the "workplace". It's taken me forever to figure out what I want to do for a living,I've gone through many options= writer,psychologist,veterinarian,nutritionist,electrician,engineer,but now I believe, at least for now, :happy:that I want to be an artist/graphic designer and I think that it feels right.
So, currently, I'm in college learning how to be one.
At least, as an artist, most people tolerate a person's "uniqueness" :laughing:

1 - 20 of 114 Posts