·
Registered
261 Posts
Line of work/school/vocation:

Marketing Agency Owner - writer, web developer, graphic designer, video editor

Highest level of school finished?:

dropped out of college to start my first company

Are you working in your desired career?:

Mostly, I would probably be doing some mixture of consulting, multimedia, or counseling if I wasn't doing what I am going now.

What previous jobs have you held?:

owner of multiple startups, Account\Project Manager (software, marketing, and tech), door to door salesman, helpdesk, sandwich artist lol

What could you be if ANYTHING?:

Film director, owner of a cafe or campground, influencer

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
You'll know when:

-You're happy to go to work on a Monday
-Every day is inspirational or a challenge
-The position is dynamic
-You feel you have a great work/life balance
-You feel what you do has meaning and an impact on others
That sounds almost like impractical idealism. How am I to know I can ever find that satisfaction and where will I find it? It's not like I'm not choosing careers that are within my passions.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
That sounds almost like impractical idealism. How am I to know I can ever find that satisfaction and where will I find it? It's not like I'm not choosing careers that are within my passions.
That's the hard part is finding that. But I know it's out there. I have found it with my job. In my case the company wanted to keep me to the point of letting me define my own new role with my promotion.

But other examples would be Robert Downey Jr. with his acting, Mark Twain with his writing, you have to find something you can do the rest of your life and still be inspired. I know it sounds idealistic, and you're like me - a somewhat more practical ENFP. But it's out there.

·
Registered
9,284 Posts
Line of work/school/vocation: Non profits/education
Highest level of school finished?: Bachelors of Finance and Business admin (with minors almost majors in math and economics)
Are you working in your desired career?: Partly yes, Going for a Masters soon in desired field
What previous jobs have you held?: Tutor, grader (during school), life guard/swim instructor, working with owner of independent book publisher <3, helping homeless/at risk of veterans get employment, substitute teacher, corporate finance manager for several job corp centers
What could you be if ANYTHING?: Education Superintendent (?)so I could be in a position to change change education to work for students and communities. That or economic policy adviser. XD IDK I enjoy being creative and solving for problems to better things. I also am taking some advice from my grandma to be a bit selfish and go for things that will pay well both emotionally and financially. I like to be a whole picture person and address a system not a specific part. Well when I was younger it would have been polevaulting professionally and doing things related to it (used to know a owner of one of two plants in US and learn how they were made) :D

I didn't know until 29 - for me it's more along the line of passion and values- after having my son I became invested in early childhood education and through that I've learned about the attachment stage and how child abuse/neglect can effect a child when they grow up to be adults. So I decided that I wanted to open up a family child practice/school that focuses on the whole child .
I also have a passion for acting /arts crafts/literature and science project- hence I made my school play base - I strongly believe that children learn through play - so instead of memorizing numbers for math - we learn it through action - each month i create a different theme- whether it be invention month - learn about great artist - construction etc etc and it keeps my Ne running - it's also beneficial for me to be closer to my kids ( I run it in my own home ) my estp son loves that he gets to play leadership role and my introverted daughter is able to socialize more :)
I think it takes a while and nothing is wrong with that - I mean i jumped career non stop before then

Have you seen this https://www.ted.com/talks/emilie_wapnick_why_some_of_us_don_t_have_one_true_calling/up-next?language=en
That's an awesome ted talk :D Great information. thanks for it helping a bit with something that's been back of my mind past few months. Feels like I'm trying to shoehorn myself into a career for reluctant security when it's not something I've been fond of.

Something I noticed early on as a kid and teenager was that only about 1/2 the people that had degrees/education in something were willingly working those areas (not a current passion) but they were happy and still well off. So that association you had to do what you study wasn't imprinted on me as strong.

Also studies have shown that the best way to learn is through play and what I've seen is that is true at all age levels.
The worst way to learn and study is memorization.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
[/B] Tutor, grader (during school), life guard/swim instructor, working with owner of independent book publisher <3, helping homeless/at risk of veterans get employment, substitute teacher, corporate finance manager for several job corp centers
What could you be if ANYTHING?: Education Superintendent (?)so I could be in a position to change change education to work for students and communities.
An ENFJ being a tutor, teacher, and educator...Noooooo??!

...Ahem, my sarcasm for the day.

·
Registered
9,284 Posts
Ooh, yes I have! But it's nice to be reminded of it! Sometimes I watch TED talks and feel really inspired... and then I forget about it next week and go back to the same old comforts and beliefs... I should go back to listening to TED talks whilst working.

I know what my passions are but I need a job that can satisfy so many contradictions in my dreams... like stability and freedom and travel and home and private yet social... bleh.
Work is just aspect of our lives.

spoiler cause too big otherwise XD

Just the simple act of starting something can bring up unexpected help you would have never imagined and take you places you would have never imagined possible. :)

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Work is just aspect of our lives.

spoiler cause too big otherwise XD

Just the simple act of starting something can bring up unexpected help you would have never imagined and take you places you would have never imagined possible. :)
Don't worry, I don't need the motivation to get out of a rut, it's more knowing where to focus myself after having done so that I struggle with! Right now I quit my job a while ago, worked on being unemployed, small personal projects, reconnected with family for a year, now I'm ready to try and do something that means bringing in some cash. Unfortunately, I can't keep this up forever whether or not being unemployed would be my ideal. I have a few dreams but they are all going to take so long to pay off that I wouldn't know which one to jump into... considering the comittment, it will take before I know if I've found "it". Too many choices ahead. That's what's paralysing.

·
Registered
9,284 Posts
Don't worry, I don't need the motivation to get out of a rut, it's more knowing where to focus myself after having done so that I struggle with! Right now I quit my job a while ago, worked on being unemployed, small personal projects, reconnected with family for a year, now I'm ready to try and do something that means bringing in some cash. Unfortunately, I can't keep this up forever whether or not being unemployed would be my ideal. I have a few dreams but they are all going to take so long to pay off that I wouldn't know which one to jump into... considering the comittment, it will take before I know if I've found "it". Too many choices ahead. That's what's paralysing.
Just go for them. :)
A little bit progress over time and before you know it your there.
I'd try for what you can get done each day at a time.
The problem is putting off making a decision is a decision and if you put it off too long your hand is forced on that decision. (defaulted to not doing it)
We have to take risks on things. Things can turn out bad even if we don't take risks so may as well take those risks and put our mental and emotional happiness before us. Things often tend to work out and if they don't they don't. :proud:

I'd cite economic/finance theory but tldr risk always pays off in end more often then not and you often end up ahead even if you don't always win with the risk every now and then. If you wait to know when something would be good or bad for complete information then the chance to act has already passed. Do the best you can with what you have at the time.

Just put your attention where your heart and interest are pulling you towards. Then your focus is more apparent and if it's several things try as many as you can. :)

Are you ALL ENFJs? :eek:
I can assure you the answer is no.
Mom (ESFP health/pe/coach), Dad (IXTJ math/coach), Grandma (history) 3 Aunts (2 dad side) Uncle (married to dad aunt) and cousin (mom side to aunt that is teacher and same exact subject FFA)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Line of work/school/vocation: It analysis
Highest level of school finished?: still studying
Are you working in your desired career?: I wasn't sure at the beginning but now i know i love it ^_^
What previous jobs have you held?: I used to work at my parents shop - i hated it ;<
What could you be if ANYTHING?: Musician or actor... or dancer or.. wet! or maybe working with animals! At some zoo or ranch. I don't know really :p

·
Registered
229 Posts
Line of work/school/vocation: Call center at an Insurance Company
Highest level of school finished?: Associate's Degree from a local college
Are you working in your desired career?: Not yet, currently taking classes for Web Development. Looking to be moving to this field in the next 6 months :cool:
What previous jobs have you held?: Leasing Agent, Server/Busser, Sales Associate for a Clothing Store
What could you be if ANYTHING?: Singer

·
Archer's Master
2,305 Posts
Line of work/school/vocation:
Assistant Language Teacher

Highest level of school finished:
AB Literature (English) (I specified English because there’s a program for my native language, too, and I would’ve majored in both if I had enough money. I was on a scholarship.

Are you working in your desired career?
My friends had believed I’d be a teacher, so I guess I’d have to give props to them for that rather accurate prediction.

I’m not the main teacher, so I don’t get to deal with paperwork and PTA matters, and that’s what I like about the job. It just requires me to plan activities and interact with my students, though at times, it’s frustrating that I’m not allowed to ‘discipline’ them like a teacher would. I could express my disappointment (and I do), but it’s not guaranteed they would understand anyway because of language barrier. I still find it surprisingly rewarding, however. I do get socially exhausted by the end of the day, but having my students greet me and talk to me in whatever little English they know is always a sweet reminder of why I’m here doing this.

That said, I’d love to be an ALT as a side job, but I wouldn’t consider teaching in general as my desired career.

What previous jobs have you held?
Tutor at a review center

What could you be if ANYTHING?
I’ve always wanted to be a published poet ever since I started writing poems in 4th grade. But that dream has been put on the back burner for a long while now. In college, I started to have dreams of becoming a psychologist and having the opportunity to help people that way.

But recently, the idea of becoming a female monk and living that life has increasingly become attractive to me. Maybe I’m too young to be saying this, but I think I’ve gotten to a point where I just desire to retreat from life and understand it from a distance instead.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Line of work/school/vocation: Linguistics & languages [incoming masters' student + language tutor]
Highest level of school finished?: Going back for an MA in Linguistics, have a BA in [linguistics lol!]
Are you working in your desired career?: I mean, yeah? -ish. I do enjoy language education a lot, not sure if the academic side won't eclipse that enthusiasm once I hit the books again.
What previous jobs have you held?: nothing off-campus; ambassador positions, tutoring positions, managerial positions.
What could you be if ANYTHING?: What I wouldn't give to be a quiet academic changing the world under everyone's radar but with no rush and hurry and raising a few children in a lovely secluded cottage in the Scottish Highlands.
Haha, hey you! Good to see a familiar face of our more introverted kin contributing.

Also good to see you @thealchemist ...Been awhile.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Line of work/school/vocation: It analysis
Highest level of school finished?: still studying
Are you working in your desired career?: I wasn't sure at the beginning but now i know i love it ^_^
What previous jobs have you held?: I used to work at my parents shop - i hated it ;<
What could you be if ANYTHING?: Musician or actor... or dancer or.. wet! or maybe working with animals! At some zoo or ranch. I don't know really :p
Love dancing singing and acting too 🙂

21 - 36 of 36 Posts