Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have 4 lives that are directly influenced by whether or not I am structured.

I am wondering if anyone in a similar situation has successfully added structure on a consistent basis.

Just looking for a few ideas of how to make a change without fighting against who I am (unstructured). Thanks.

·
Registered
138 Posts
So I have 4 lives that are directly influenced by whether or not I am structured.

I am wondering if anyone in a similar situation has successfully added structure on a consistent basis.

Just looking for a few ideas of how to make a change without fighting against who I am (unstructured). Thanks.
I try to make a game out of it. For me what works best is having my significant other impose rules for me. He will check in to make sure that I am doing them. Ask for progress. If I am not meeting my obligations, then there is some form of punishment. This tends to work for me, because it is a 'game' between us. He isn't really upset or mad and I am not really going to be forced to do something I loathe.

It makes it entertaining, and also because he has said that it is something he desires, I work extra hard to make it happen. It then turns to a service I am providing for him and then I take pride in doing it.

I think the key for an INFP to doing the mundane, is to make it entertaining. Then you are more apt to remember.

If that doesn't work, you could also set alarms on your phone or other device to go off when certain things are needed. I do this, because I forget to eat and I forget that my son has certain things he needs to go to (Like Karate). So I set up little alarms that go off during my day "Take boy to Karate", "Eat Lunch", "Spend an hour writing, no procrastinating!!", etc.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for your input. I used to forget to eat too! Now I rarely forget so I know it's possible to get there but I have no idea how it happened. Maybe after a while of repetition it became ingrained and something I don't have to put much thought into now.

I think you're right, I am going to have to make it fun.

I used to forget all about dinner when I was a single mom, I would be going along and then 6 o'clock would come around and I still wouldn't have a plan so then it would be around 7 when we finally ate. After getting tired of that, I started setting my phone alarm for 4pm to start thinking about dinner. So then we would be eating by 5. It's been 4 years since that and I haven't needed an alarm in a year. I automatically think about what to make for dinner when it's 4.

I think the key might be to have repetition until it becomes ingrained and we no longer have to think about it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts