Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

It's all in the title. Basically, I noticed I can get pretty easily tired when long group conversations with friends, family, etc. I wanted to know if many of you had this experience and you managed it :)

·
Registered
759 Posts
I give in to gravity, and fall.

Long group conversations? I'm not familiar with the sensation. Not many people know how to talk to me: they ask about work, my day, work, plans, work, my day, and if I have any plans today, or if I'd like to go to this massive event in 5 minutes. Gripping conversation starters. They last about 10 seconds, and my not returning the question is usually an indicator I don't want to engage. I say only enough to acknowledge their existence.

I think it all goes back to energy preservation. I know nothing is going to become of those conversations, whether I put in the effort or not. They drain me for the other person's satisfaction; and if I don't engage, I'm the one who's called selfish and rude as if their invasions and lack of understanding are selfless. I cannot feel a more tender sentiment.

By instinct I know whether I have anything to contribute to the conversation, but if I don't, or the contribution doesn't seem necessary, I don't bother. If for whatever reason I happen to be in a group conversation, I'm quiet to the point people forget I'm present. It's bliss. Put a lampshade on my head and shove me in the corner. I suppose I take the Socrates approach to ask oneself before speaking: Is it true; is it kind; is it necessary?

When I'm tired, I actually relish in the sensation. It's comforting.

·
Registered
INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so
2,598 Posts
If I need to do things or be somewhere like at work, I'll drink several cups of coffee. I do that on any day, but it definitely helps get through the situation. It is really difficult for me to interact in that state, and interacting with people often drains me. In group conversations, I often struggle to get a word in between, and it goes by faster than my brain can process what's even going on, so I mainly sit back and listen, unless I have anything of substance to add. I may just be in the background, with my mind on other things. Or I may give very short answers to questions and not go into detail.

I may somewhat be in denial of being tired, and try to be productive if it's in a work setting or anything like that. In any other scenario where I don't have to be around people, I would want time to myself, maybe read a book, draw a picture, drink some tea or hot chocolate. I need a lot of time to myself to do this kind of thing or else, I'm not a happy camper. If I am extremely tired, I get even more quiet than usual, and may act irritable towards people. Or I'll just be kind of out of it in that state.

Reactions: Lady of Clockwork

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
I haven't had many. I've tried to speed the group along towards a resolution of whatever is being discussed, discouraging excess chatter. I've tried discretely paying attention selectively. I rest afterwards if I feel tired.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Go outside and take five minutes of fresh air. Or just a short break of any sort works.

Reactions: SilentScream

·
Registered
24 Posts
Isolate myself. When I am home, I will retreat to the bedroom to sleep with my white noise machine on.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I take time for myself. Usually that means the nights after work are my free time to be alone and veg out on stuff I want to check out, research, watch, etc. On the weekends, I do my best to take both days off without any kind of human interaction. The only exception at times would be to attend church service but that was about it. If my energies weren't taxed out, I could have time squared away for 1:1 hang time with a friend but then all other parts of the weekend were dedicated to ALONE time. I also sleep more. Having to interact with people ends up draining me, so I feel you on this. (BTW, the stuff I mention about church and hang time with friends was before COVID-19 and its stay-at-home/quarantine measures)

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ
15,350 Posts
Hey everyone!

It's all in the title. Basically, I noticed I can get pretty easily tired when long group conversations with friends, family, etc. I wanted to know if many of you had this experience and you managed it :)
Well, before all this "pandemic" thing started, I would carefully plan my group interactions and definitely set things up so I could decide when to show up, when to leave, and my exact level of interaction. I also made sure to rest first and, if needed, imbibe some caffeine. The thing is, I sort of like having some social interaction. Might have something to do with being a So dom. I'll always decompress afterwards, when I get home.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts