Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What intellectual interests do you engage in?

I might (recently) venture to scan people in to type. People watching.

I might go in the countryside and observe what is going on around me, by first of all putting names to things.

I might engage in converations for the purpose of acquiring knowledge (as opposed to exchanging emotions).

I might play a game of skill like chess.

And then (if I so desired) I could do seducing women or girls, but if it happens, it is usually the other way around. I do try occasionally, and I have had a recent run of bad luck. 'Would you like to meet the Troll?' she said.

·
Banned
2,324 Posts
Perseus said:
What intellectual interests do you engage in?
After today, I almost feel like I should say "Define *intellectual*", since it seems people have very different understandings of that. But here's my list with MY definition.

I like to do researches on the internet and learn about new things. OR alternatively watch the ducumentary channel and absorb knowledge from there. Often I will end up writing things down in my notepad, so I can do more research on google later. Same goes for stuff I read in books.

I like to read books about psychology or *Para-Sciences* (not only, but mostly). I like to write down keywords during reading, so I can just look at the notes to recall what EXACTLY was written in the book IF I forget. Saves time, since I do not have to re-read it if I search something specific. =3

I like to solve riddles of any sort. Unfortunately I don't have MUCH time for those, but occasionally.

I like to discuss different topics with friends (or otherwise interesting people) in 1:1 chats. Anything goes.

I like to give advice to people who are close to me, especially if it is about Psychology or anything like that.

I like to refine skills I already have or learn new ones. And instead of reading books about *how it works*, I will try to figure it out by myself.

Sometimes I also like to play *games*, such as watching something, while memorizing number-codes or images, to recall them again when I am done watching. Good stimulation for the brain. When I used to watch Fringe I would always memorize the pictures they show in between in the exact order they showed. And when I watch X-Files I memorize car-plates, phone-nrs. or stuff like that. It's nerdy but fun.

And other times I just like to *sit in the shadows* and observe.

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
i usually think of interpersonal relationships from an observational standpoint.
Well, my mind just wonders everywhere... i either think of how something is, why something is, what something is, how something works, hidden motives...anything my intuition brings in.
Interests? well ummm, read things on the internet and not only learn but creat theories and add thoughts to the learning that doesnt onl make it entertaining but memorable.... besides that, nothing really... im 16 leave me alone !

·
Registered
188 Posts
I engage myself in political thought, often creating scenarios for myself and speculating on the best we to handle it. I'll also use it to delve into the more scientific realms. For some reason I take a lot of pleasure from solving complex Math equations. I definitely use it for strategy gaming though. Military strategy greatly interests me, and I'll run scenarios in my head with that too. When I'm in a particularly devious mood, and have the time, I like to get people thinking by naively asking questions or pointing out a paradox :confused:.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I usually plot out schemes
I read psychology books
I solve riddles or mind games

Reactions: furryfury and Grey

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I like anything that I might find interesting at the certain place and time, but its a mix of perseus and vanWinchester.

The problem with chess is that some people I play against play in a certain system and I like unpredictability so I try to catch them off guard by doing unpredictable. It can get rather predictable if you play against the same over and over again, pattern recognition.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I let my mind wander when I'm taking my daily walks. Obviously, I let my mind wander other times too, when I'm laying on the couch or walking restlessly around my house. I can barely sit still. :tongue:

I also use my thinking when I'm writing, or when I'm at school.

I tend to also use my thinking when I'm meeting new people.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I like thinking about many subjects, I particularly use it to understand how some authors craft their works. How they accomplish tone, atmosphere, character development, plot, and especially how they work time into their narrative. I keep notebooks where I write detailed descriptions of how certain literary mechanism works, everything gets jotted down in a very chaotic fashion, that I try to knit into functioning theories along the way.

I also love to think about beauty, fashion, aesthetics and ontology.

Reactions: Grey

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
inter/intra personal. Simulated role playing in my mind. Dicussion with friends, usually through SMS or internet.

Simulated then application of FOI.

Work through mechanical/eletrical/hydrolic systems via diagram and textual descriptions. Run through what if failure scenarios with multiple variables.

Read crtically, looking for the "deeper" meanings/lessons in the stories.

·
Registered
26,827 Posts
Various things. I like to daydream about almost anythign, but I also like to write poems and stories. I like to debate politics and other aspects of society, and I love to read.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I can't believe nobody has said this yet. I use my thinking to think of way to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!!!
Narf, zort, poit, troz

Reactions: Harley

·
Registered
680 Posts
...to over analyze everything. EVERYTHING. (not kidding here)

·
Registered
2,248 Posts

I might engage in converations for the purpose of acquiring knowledge (as opposed to exchanging emotions).
That's one of my favourite. Sometimes it's just so fun to push someone in a certain way and see how they react and try to analyze why they reacted that certain way and how that makes them who they are. Phew, people are such entertaining puzzles!

·
Registered
680 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts