Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been mulling this over for a while now, observing various posts, discussions and so on about the Enneagram . And its led to me ask some important questions, namely: Why did you get into the Enneagram? What do you expect to gain from it? What will it give you? Is to categorise yourself and others ("Well I'm a 9w1 sx/sp tritype 5w6 & 4w3")? Is it just a passing fancy i.e. you were bored and took a test for fun, interested to see what you get? Or is it more serious; do you want something more, like understanding? To "better understand yourself and others in your life"? Maybe even for "self-improvement"?

I'll answer my own questions: the Enneagram, for me, is about understanding, and gaining some insight into the world around me. It began with my irriation of the narrow-mindness of people around me, and my own narrow-mindness; primarily stemming from the notion that their/my (subjective) world view was "the" way to view things. I would get mad when people would "beat around the bush", shy away when I confronted them, be "unable to keep up" with me on an energetic level. At the same time, I also hated the whole "be nice", "listen to everyone's opinion" "follow the rules" crap that was spouted to me. I wanted to know why this happened - and the Enneagram explained this pretty well. It helped put what I "got" on an intuative level into a logical one, and it certainly helped me in my dealings with others. It didn't so much "change" me, as I'm happy with the way I am, but it gave me a level of understanding that I lacked about the world around me, leading me to make better equiped decisions.

We choose what is important and what isn't, and value it accordingly. So all of you who start asking questions along the lines of "what is my type?" and "why do wings have to be next to the type?" etc, ask yourself firstly "why am I getting into this? What will it give me?" The Enneagram is a powerful tool of "understanding", but only if you want to understand it.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
My answers....

I believe I got into it as an offshoot of some of my "Strengths Finder 2.0" stuff where there was a personality group site that mentioned this other way to type yourself. As I am a curious person that loves to soak in stuff, I went off and have been exploring it ever since. I'm expecting to gain insights into more of my strengths and weaknesses. How do I maximize my strengths and manage to work around my weaknesses? What are the little leaps that I should see about myself that may have been blind spots for years? How do I find my purpose in life and have an awesome one? That really is the big question I'm still struggling in trying to answer.

When I took the test, it was something for fun and just to see what it would tell me. What I've found is that there is a lot to this system and at times it is re-inforcing what I've learned from other places which I like as that lets me know that I'm on the right track to something. There is also something to be said for how once I really get into something, I'm almost overly devoted to immersing myself in it and thus while I may not know a ton about the Enneagram, I do know more than some basics at this point I believe.

Self-empowerment may be a better way to describe what I'm wanting out of it now. I know myself better but I want to better manage what I have and see things in a different light. At the same time, I don't mind sharing my experiences and thoughts with others and so if someone has a question that I feel I can answer, I'll toss it out there for public consumption.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
I was pretty bored with it tbh, until I discovered tritypes. It was fun figuring mine out.. a puzzle to solve. Enneagram has also helped me make sense of some things about people. Lately, namely, why unholy hellspawn ex a., and b. are the way they are at times. Seems I had a penchant for dating ixtp 5w6 5w6. Now I can put them in their proper boxes, get closure, and stay away from them.

·
Registered
889 Posts
For me, I want to continue down a path of self improvement I laid for myself many years ago. MBTI and enneagrams are proving to be extremely helpful tools in that process and I wish I'd discovered them years ago.

·
Old Man
2,834 Posts
I've gotten a lot out of it so far, it deals more with motives and actions than the MBTI. It helps with self-awareness, its not a quick fix or a golden ticket. It just gives a new perspective.

It has helped me step away from myself and take a look at me.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I've been mulling this over for a while now, observing various posts, discussions and so on about the Enneagram . And its led to me ask some important questions, namely: Why did you get into the Enneagram? What do you expect to gain from it? What will it give you? Is to categorise yourself and others ("Well I'm a 9w1 sx/sp tritype 5w6 & 4w3")? Is it just a passing fancy i.e. you were bored and took a test for fun, interested to see what you get? Or is it more serious; do you want something more, like understanding? To "better understand yourself and others in your life"? Maybe even for "self-improvement"?

When I first came across Enneagram, I was searching for information to try and help a friend of mine. Although he wasn't interested in the system, I realized very quickly that it could be used as an indispensable tool to help my self. It is not the end all, be all of self-help. In identifying key issues in my life, however, I've been able to climb out of a very deep hole that I'd fallen into. Enneagram has been most helpful to me in that sense. I continue to use it for myself but I've expanded by observing others. I'd like to understand them as well as help them where I can. But, whether I can help them or not, they help me to gain a deeper insight into the cluster of issues that surround each type and how they manifest. I find typing people enjoyable but also reach for a greater goal to understanding the world around me.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I first found Don Riso's Personality Types at a used book sale, and I picked it up out of curiosity. The more I read, the more intrigued I became because it just seemed so accurate! I was unhappy with my current situation in life and motivated for self-improvement, but also, like many others have said, it was a fascinating insight into the world and the people around me. Now, if I see something that upsets me or I disagree with, MBTI and the Enneagram allow me to take a step back and think, "Well, why does this exist? Why do people need this? What else could fill this need in a healthier way?"

I've gradually become more aware of my true wants and motivations, and I can understand how I actively block my path from actualizing them. Enneagram simply made me aware of how much I got in my own way, and eventually this awareness sunk in deeply enough that, every now and again, I can catch myself in the act and move out of these harmful habits. With true awareness, what already makes sense intellectually begins to make sense on emotional, instinctual levels too, and you're no longer fighting "mind against matter." Your fallacies fall away, and you're free. That's what the Enneagram process does for me.

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
For me, I've found the ideas of integration and disintegration tremendously helpful as it helps me be more aware of my actions and motivations. Am I acting like a fussy, self-righteous 3, or an open-minded, good-willed 9? Catching red flags has been priceless.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts