Personality Cafe banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there are many things i find excessively stupid, such as recklesness, not caring of the effects your actions have on others and so on.

but selfish?
hm..

on myself, i dont know why, but i find it endlessly selfish to feel my own feelings. its like im ignoring all of my responsibilities just to please myself.

things i find universally selfish: drinking alcohol, smoking, celebrating imaginary qualities such as culture induced celebrations, birthdays, etc, promisciety, laws(they only serve those who made them), norms, opinions, appearance expectations, unnecessary car trips(not only risky, but car gases damage health), burning fireplace(16 times worse than smoking cigarettes, some studies say), asking something of another person without being concerned whether they really want to, since its impossibly rude to say no, demanding "correct" grmmatics from others to please your own preferences, not accounting individuals differences when problems are concerned(what is healthy for you might be the worst possible thing for me. and disregarding what you consider healthy behaviour for me just cause it is for you, will get me into deep trouble. or "helping" me with what would destroy me, is not really nice either.), preferring inefficacy because of being irrationally clingy to the method youre used to, limiting me because "others would get jealous" (its their fking problem if they are so irrational), schools(they only teach useless crap based on cultural preferences while ignoring what would actually be useful to me), all political ideologies, nationalism(and every other form of elitistic prejudice), if i hold a conclusion thats similar to a popular opinion, assuming i came to my conclusions because of them(i never, come to my conclusions that way, and theres nothing more agitating than having people assume i did.)

your turn.

Reactions: Kizuna

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
there are many things i find excessively stupid, such as recklesness, not caring of the effects your actions have on others and so on.

but selfish?
hm..

on myself, i dont know why, but i find it endlessly selfish to feel my own feelings. its like im ignoring all of my responsibilities just to please myself.

things i find universally selfish: drinking alcohol, smoking, celebrating imaginary qualities such as culture induced celebrations, birthdays, etc, promisciety, laws(they only serve those who made them), norms, opinions, appearance expectations, unnecessary car trips(not only risky, but car gases damage health), burning fireplace(16 times worse than smoking cigarettes, some studies say), asking something of another person without being concerned whether they really want to, since its impossibly rude to say no, demanding "correct" grmmatics from others to please your own preferences, not accounting individuals differences when problems are concerned(what is healthy for you might be the worst possible thing for me. and disregarding what you consider healthy behaviour for me just cause it is for you, will get me into deep trouble. or "helping" me with what would destroy me, is not really nice either.), preferring inefficacy because of being irrationally clingy to the method youre used to, limiting me because "others would get jealous" (its their fking problem if they are so irrational), schools(they only teach useless crap based on cultural preferences while ignoring what would actually be useful to me), all political ideologies, nationalism(and every other form of elitistic prejudice), if i hold a conclusion thats similar to a popular opinion, assuming i came to my conclusions because of them(i never, come to my conclusions that way, and theres nothing more agitating than having people assume i did.)

your turn.
this post is a good example of why I stopped caring about being "selfish" a long time ago :tongue:

however, there are a few exceptions.
some things I find unforgivably selfish are:
- not caring whom one hurts in pursuit of goals
- forcing your children to behave a certain way simply for the sake of keeping up and image and/or appeasing one's ego
- expecting people to feel the way you want them to
- not respecting the rights of others/viewing people as animals or disposable tools
- expecting people to prioritize your needs above their own
- feeling entitled to things you did not earn

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this post is a good example of why I stopped caring about being "selfish" a long time ago :tongue:

however, there are a few exceptions.
some things I find unforgivably selfish are:
- not caring whom one hurts in pursuit of goals
- forcing your children to behave a certain way simply for the sake of keeping up and image and/or appeasing one's ego
- expecting people to feel the way you want them to
- not respecting the rights of others/viewing people as animals or disposable tools
- expecting people to prioritize your needs above their own
- feeling entitled to things you did not earn
wow, you just described my mother. xD..
aka why ive always been messed up from a young age.

although these days ive came to view myself and other humans as animals. who have emotional needs as any other specie on earth. whom shouldnt be forced into believing irrational things such as that we arent animals, and thus neglecting necessities every animal specie holds, and causing an opinionated, distorted view on the biology of earths species.

and we shouldnt be ashamed of our animal aspects. trying to be something we arent will never work. only adaption does.

·
Registered
29 Posts
-Alcoholism/drug abuse
-Forgoing a simple health regime simply for the lack of will power, when you have a huge family that will be devastated when you die.
-being unnecessarily reckless in general when you have a family
-killing animals for sport and/or enjoying the act of killing. I was watching this little girl smile gleefully while stomping on a spider. The spider was non venomous, she would not be eating it (obviously), and she didn't seem afraid of it, so it's death was completely unnecessary. I wondered if her parents encouraged it or if humans are just naturally violent and must be taught otherwise.
-Purposefully damaging the environment. The general populous doesn't seem to have an ingrained desire to care for nature or be conscientious of their impact on a day to day basis.
-Abortion. Well actually careless coitus leading up to an unwanted pregnancy in general. I know it's championed as a relief in the case of rape victims and such, but more often then not it's just a plan C for incompetence. You could argue limiting the birth of new humans is beneficial for our overcrowded planet, but once the bun is in the oven, throwing it out is just wasting ingredients. I hate wasting stuff.
-Romantic love <- may sound crazy, but that initial infatuation, jealousy, this urge to monopolize someones whole life- We feel it whether or not reality would show we're the best match for someone or actually improve their life in any way.
-ect.ect... there are tons of things we do that are self oriented/benefitting/careless to others. It most often springs from thoughtlessness. Not everyone has the mental capacity to be self aware of their actions and the subsequent effects.

I'm not saying I'm above all these things. I'm not even saying it's wrong to be selfish. I truly don't know. Is it?

Especially the love thing... I read quotes to the effect of- you can't put everyone's lives ahead of your own and think it counts as love- and wonder "Why not?"
If you can tell me why not, it'd be cool to know :proud:

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,590 Posts
You can't truly love or empathize with others if you don't first learn to do the same for yourself. And you can't do that for yourself if you deny yourself such a basic human need as "feeling your own feelings." And who says every form of selfishness is inherently wrong anyway? What do you think the purpose of emotions are? Sure there is a way to overindulge in your own emotions but never tasting them at all? That's repression and repressed emotions eventually come to the surface to bite.

·
Registered
262 Posts
You can't truly love or empathize with others if you don't first learn to do the same for yourself. And you can't do that for yourself if you deny yourself such a basic human need as "feeling your own feelings." And who says every form of selfishness is inherently wrong anyway? What do you think the purpose of emotions are? Sure there is a way to overindulge in your own emotions but never tasting them at all? That's repression and repressed emotions eventually come to the surface to bite.
Well said. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts