Personality Cafe banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I often get mistyped as an INTJ. I think that's because I have trust issues and when I'm tired I can be very blunt like I know many INTJs to be. Plus my dad is an INTJ so I think his type can rub off on me a little.

A lot of my friends are really surpassed when I tell them I'm and INFJ, as well. I think that is because when I am in my "extroverted zone" I seem like an ENFP. That could also be due to the fact that most of my friends are ENFPs as well.

I know I am an INFJ at heart. I'm just curious as to what you guys get mistyped for, if anything at all.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
INTJ, as well. With an INTJ father and ENTJ husband, I've got a well-developed Te. Plus I'm a math teacher, so I'm surrounded by NTs with the occasional ST.

It's been the only type that really gives me pause. I score INTJ as often as INFJ on tests, both dichotomy and cognitive functions. Probably the biggest thing was the fact that my dad told me he thought I was an INTJ. Overall, I identify most strongly with INFJ, but I would be interested if anyone else had other ideas.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
INFJs are actually pretty logical in how we categorize people, issues, and relationships. Compare to INFPs who have a richer inner world and are more imaginative, we are pragmatic and rather dry. I am not surprised that many INFJs could be typed as INTJs.

I can't think like an INTJ. It just doesn't come naturally. But their take on things I almost always agree with and on my own arrive at the same conclusion. As much as I don't want to be limited in a 4-letter box, I have to admit that MBTI makes sense to me. It's certain true when it says INFJs and INTJs come to the same conclusion from different angles.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I was typed INFJ for a while, that's because people like to assume being considerate is exclusive to the Fe function and that if you're Fi base you 'can't' be considerate, which is absurd. I know I'm not 'INFJ' so feel free to ignore me but I did show up as one and some people have messaged me and still proclaim I am INFJ/IEI. What's important to remember though for me are the real motivation behind my actions/thoughts and behaviors. When you can figure that out, knowing your actual type is fairly easy. But just be careful to take things a lot of people 'claim' with a grain of salt. I find the more 'declaring' and short people are with their interactions and explanations, the less they are able to 'read-between-the-lines' in what you say and their actual motivations. There's a big disconnect in 'online-typing' that ignore some aspects that should be included. If you know the functions well and you can fit a certain types framework into your mind quite snugly without any mental re-wiring to be comfortable with it overall, that's most likely your type. My sister is INFJ, I'm INFP it's pretty easy to see our differences in person.

·
Registered
63 Posts
A lot of my friends are really surpassed when I tell them I'm and INFJ, as well. I think that is because when I am in my "extroverted zone" I seem like an ENFP. That could also be due to the fact that most of my friends are ENFPs as well.
Exactly. INFJs are chameleons, and that can make it tricky for an INFJ to always feel 100% with their type. I agree with the person who suggested testing for cognitive functions. The percentage results will probably support the INTJ test result. For example, I'm the Ni subtype of INFJ and I relate easily to most INTJ descriptions. If your Fe score is very high, then I'd be skeptical of your INTJ result and seek a re-testing.

Were you also tested for Enneagram and instinctual stacking?

·
Banned
1,780 Posts
INFJs are actually pretty logical in how we categorize people, issues, and relationships. Compare to INFPs who have a richer inner world and are more imaginative, we are pragmatic and rather dry. I am not surprised that many INFJs could be typed as INTJs.

I can't think like an INTJ. It just doesn't come naturally. But their take on things I almost always agree with and on my own arrive at the same conclusion. As much as I don't want to be limited in a 4-letter box, I have to admit that MBTI makes sense to me. It's certain true when it says INFJs and INTJs come to the same conclusion from different angles.
I just had a four hour long conversation with an INFJ, and we both figured out that we reach the same conclusions on many topics that we discuss, but we put our conclusions into action differently due to the different judging functions. I think the dominant Ni helps bridge the gap given the differences, so it becomes more of an interest perspective than a debate (although, I have my moments with INFJs).

What is interesting about sharing Ni with INFJs, we share the same experience with our strengths and trouble areas when it comes to our tertiary and inferior Se. Tonight, she was talking about how she has a hard time with her Tertiary Ti, because she cannot articulate herself exactly how she wants to in a logical manor given that it makes sense to her, and I explained to her that’s pretty much how I experience tertiary Fi. There is a weird crossover and understanding that I can't put into words.

Although, we both laughed at how my Te drains her, and her Fe does the same for me over a period of time. I don't always understand Fe, but I think in many ways INFJs understand my complications with being Ni dominant better than any other type besides other INTJs. We usually talk for hours when we do chat, it's rather nice.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I think people have given me all the N-types that exist by now :)
I get ENFJ quite a bit because i can be pretty extravert with good friends (for a while and then i crash).
At work i got INTP and INTJ a few times.

Like @Turgidson said: chameleons

Reactions: chanteuse

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I also give a vibe of an INTJ. That's probably because I'm in very close relations with two Te users.
Not like I have anything against that more "materialistic" Te, it actually helps me protect myself and my personal values (Fi) long term (Ni).

I tend to get mistyped as an IxTP too.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I just had a four hour long conversation with an INFJ, and we both figured out that we reach the same conclusions on many topics that we discuss, but we put our conclusions into action differently due to the different judging functions. I think the dominant Ni helps bridge the gap given the differences, so it becomes more of an interest perspective than a debate (although, I have my moments with INFJs).

What is interesting about sharing Ni with INFJs, we share the same experience with our strengths and trouble areas when it comes to our tertiary and inferior Se. Tonight, she was talking about how she has a hard time with her Tertiary Ti, because she cannot articulate herself exactly how she wants to in a logical manor given that it makes sense to her, and I explained to her that’s pretty much how I experience tertiary Fi. There is a weird crossover and understanding that I can't put into words.

Although, we both laughed at how my Te drains her, and her Fe does the same for me over a period of time. I don't always understand Fe, but I think in many ways INFJs understand my complications with being Ni dominant better than any other type besides other INTJs. We usually talk for hours when we do chat, it's rather nice.

Very nicely put :) I am glad you have a friend who offers perspectives from the opposite angle but is similar enough to get you. For us Ni-doms (and outnumbered), it's a great thing to find someone who understands us and our language.

I have an INTJ friend that I can talk for hours with. We are both much older therefore our Ti and Fi are relatively OK. He can tap into his feeling side to articulate difficult areas. I can process his Te world view without the need to remind him to be empathetic.

This would have never happened 20 years ago. Life (and failures) taught us to be rational (INFJ) and empathetic and patient to human frailty (INTJ) to a point where we can get along famously.

Hopefully you and your friend would continue to be friends thru out your life time.

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
I can't recall anyone ever mentioning to me they felt as though I was a different type. But then, other than my SO, the only people I discuss MBTI with at all are here on PerC. And that just hasn't come up for whatever reason, I guess.

I'm too introverted to ever be mistaken for an E type of any description, and I'm too much of a feeler to ever be mistaken for a T type, lol. Pretty sure I'm too much on the J side to ever be mistaken for a P type too. So, yeah. And I really don't doubt I have inferior Se as I'm too clumsy and prone to binging on similar things until I get sick of them.

But then this is all personal, incredibly subjective and probably super biased observation on my part, so who knows? Maybe I'm completely wrong about all of it and oblivious, lol.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I've only ever mistyped as INTJ, both on tests and through individual research (though I do think I contemplated being an INFP for a minute amount of time - we're talking a day or two - when researching.). I honestly seem to 'change' depending on my environment. During professional work and debating: I tend to act like an INTJ or INTP. However, whilst with my friends I tend to act a lot like an INFP (until I spend too much time around them). I suppose that's why we're oft labeled as chameleons.

·
Registered
INFJ 3w2 Sx/So
3,373 Posts
I used to get mistyped as INFP every now and then, and now it's mostly INTJ. I know that I don't use Fi, though. I'm so Fe that it's painful.

Reactions: Necrilia

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Exactly. INFJs are chameleons, and that can make it tricky for an INFJ to always feel 100% with their type. I agree with the person who suggested testing for cognitive functions. The percentage results will probably support the INTJ test result. For example, I'm the Ni subtype of INFJ and I relate easily to most INTJ descriptions. If your Fe score is very high, then I'd be skeptical of your INTJ result and seek a re-testing.

Were you also tested for Enneagram and instinctual stacking?
I've never been tested for instinctual stacking but my Enneagram is 4w5. I have tested for my cognitive functions, though, and it still tells me the best guess is an INFJ, the second best guess is an INTJ. I've never actually taken a test and it tell me that I'm not an INFJ. I just, like you, relate a lot to INTJs because of my Ni being my dominant function. I still believe I relate most to INFJ descriptions.

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
I think I'm a pretty obvious INFJ to the people that know me but no one that I know outside of the internet has ever weighed in on my type so I guess I don't really know if that's true. ^^;

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've never been tested for instinctual stacking but my Enneagram is 4w5. I have tested for my cognitive functions, though, and it still tells me the best guess is an INFJ, the second best guess is an INTJ. I've never actually taken a test and it tell me that I'm not an INFJ. I just, like you, relate a lot to INTJs because of my Ni being my dominant function. I still believe I relate most to INFJ descriptions.
Taking a broader perspective, are you NT or NF? Do people come to you primarily for emotional support or for a T perspective/second opinion? The two can coincide and mix of course, but an NF with a side of T is still different from an NT with a side of F.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts