Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"What do you guys use MBTI for?
Do you really think the 4 letters can really describe a personality?"

I was tempted to write an essay xD But I was more curious to hear what you guys had to say. (I was looking for a similar thread...I couldn't find it? Which seems odd...)

So how would you answer this question?

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
well you can tailor your reactions to the person's type, which results in them liking you better and you might learn something from it, you also avoid unnecessary conflicts by trying to impose your viewpoint on others

good stuff all-around IMO

also, do you look like your avatar? you're a QT*Pi

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
Cognitive functions and their order describe the type, not the 4 letters. I say that because I get annoyed with statements like "I was an INFP yesterday, but today I'm an INFJ!" from people who believe a switch in one letter is all it takes to change a type, despite the fact that INFPs and INFJs do not share any of the same functions (let alone in a similar order). The four letters can help determine the order of the functions for the type, but they aren't what I think of when I think of types, if that makes any sense.

Anyway, I mainly use MBTI as a means to understand myself better. It can help in relating to other people as well, but that's more of a marginal thing and mainly only somewhat useful here on PerC. People I know irl don't get into MBTI, so I can only guess at their types most of the time. *shrug*

·
Registered
337 Posts
Cognitive functions and their order describe the type, not the 4 letters. I say that because I get annoyed with statements like "I was an INFP yesterday, but today I'm an INFJ!" from people who believe a switch in one letter is all it takes to change a type, despite the fact that INFPs and INFJs do not share any of the same functions (let alone in a similar order). The four letters can help determine the order of the functions for the type, but they aren't what I think of when I think of types, if that makes any sense.

Anyway, I mainly use MBTI as a means to understand myself better. It can help in relating to other people as well, but that's more of a marginal thing and mainly only somewhat useful here on PerC. People I know irl don't get into MBTI, so I can only guess at their types most of the time. *shrug*
Same here. I use MBTI to try and understand myself better. I don't think I've ever applied to other people though, just to myself and people on this site.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I like that I understand myself better and that it gives me permission to be who I am while still getting on my case if I'm being unhealthy about it. There's a difference between being berated for acting like a whiny, self-absorbed, untethered INFJ and told to be better and being berated for not acting like an ISFP and told to be someone else entirely.

And what I use it for is mainly to figure out functions in other people (not usually type, just 'is that Te or Ti and is it dominant over the F or subservient to it? What kind of S? What kind of N?') and tailoring my communications to how they best understand me.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I believe the proper use is supposed to be a treating it as a rough guide to help get a better understanding of other people so you can have more peaceful interactions and properly identify areas that you can work towards so you can become a more complete person. Instead it gets used in all sorts of weird ways or people are like, "AHA! SEE! Its just how I am and I don't need to change anything." LOL

Reactions: treeghost

·
Registered
624 Posts
I've found out who I am and why I am with MBTI.
Finally I knew why I was always feeling like an onlooker in my own life, and it's kinda a infj trait.

I've gotten several huge insights since that day, mainly since when I found out who I am, then could I ask the right questions(not necessarily finding the right answers yet).

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
-Understanding and accepting those who confuse or upset you.
-Coming to grips with weaknesses and shortcomings.
-Interesting framework for "framing" psychology in concrete terms.

·
Registered
545 Posts
-Understanding and accepting those who confuse or upset you.
-Coming to grips with weaknesses and shortcomings.
-Interesting framework for "framing" psychology in concrete terms.
Mostly this. I like understanding for the sake of understanding, I want to know every intimate detail about a subject that interests me. People interest me, and this method interests me. I just picked up Jung's Psychological Types which I'm about to start to plough through, because I've gotten everything I think I can out of other resources as far as Cognitive Functions go, and I really want a deep and thorough understanding of them and the effects of positioning in stacks and development.

I also like being helpful, and helping other people understand themselves through this tool can be relatively rewarding.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I don't really feel like I understand myself any better now that I think I am an INFJ. The best thing MBTI did for me though is too see that I do actually have a personality, that there are other people out there who actually think in a similar way to me and that there is actually different types of personality which people are, so that we all have a lot more in common than we think. It also means it's highly unlikely that you alone are the only person who has ever felt or experienced a particular unique feeling/problem that has hurt you, more likely others can relate too it. MBTI basically broadens the way I thought about people/humanity.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Thus far, it's helped me understand myself a tad more. That being said, I'm in no way, shape or form going to use it to dictate the direction of how I want to run things in my life. Still, now I know why I do what I do sometimes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Cognitive functions and their order describe the type, not the 4 letters.I say that because I get annoyed with statements like "I was an INFP yesterday, but today I'm an INFJ!" from people who believe a switch in one letter is all it takes to change a type, despite the fact that INFPs and INFJs do not share any of the same functions (let alone in a similar order). The four letters can help determine the order of the functions for the type, but they aren't what I think of when I think of types, if that makes any sense
Every time I see people doing that, a part of me dies.

People should read the things written on this website, which explains functions in a simple way, and take this test here, which at least is focused on functions.

This answers the OP. There is much more to it than just 4 letters. There's 8 functions which we all have and use in different amounts. Some are weak/neglected, some are strong and will determine a huge chunk of your personality. I guess I'm not even the best guy to explain this, but I do know what each function does.

But, for example, an INFJ could have a well-developed tertiary Ti, another could have it weaker (but not as weak as Se). The 4 letters don't really mention this, but I guess it works well enough to group people who are somewhat similar under the same type.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts