Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm personally mainly talking about ipods, ipads, and iphones. I've never used a mac book. I've gotten majorly tired about finding out everything I can't do with an ipod/ipad/iphone. They don't have as many apps. They don't have space for a micro card like every other device out there. If you want an extra 8 Gb of space you have to pay like $100 which is absurd. They devices are overpriced as far as I can tell. You can get android devices, which seems to work just as well, for cheaper. I can download music without using itunes, and itunes works terrible on my computer. All of my friends have experienced the same thing. Itunes will freeze up your entire computer. Maybe it works better on mac books. I don't know. You can't share music amongst your friends using itunes or all your music will get wiped out. That beyond irritates me. Itunes also has a stranglehold on the music world. Their single tracks are overpriced, and if you want something not very well known you won't be able to find it, which means you have to resort to other means to get that music. I also can't share files across the internet network in my house like you can with other devices, which is another drawback although not the worst one. And to be fair, I shall include that I highly enjoy my front camera, although I can easily find that on another device. So right now I'm wondering what the great attraction to apple devices is, and what you INTPs think of Apple, the worst technology Nazis? Tell me what you like and dislike about them, and if you think another device is more worth the money include that also.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Apple's products pretty much embody the following principle: when people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

The main benefit to them is that they've reached critical mass, so having one gives you the status of having what everyone else has.

My cheapie cell phone has as much capacity as the largest iPod and sounds just as good. I dislike phones in general, so iPhones hold no appeal. I just want something that makes calls, sends texts and can pull up google maps for the 1 time a year I need it. iPads are one of those things that I can't find any real use for. Too big to be truly portable, too small and gimped to replace my laptop.

Not specifically picking on Apple here, though. All tablets are useless for me, as are dedicated MP3 players and any phone that costs more than $100.

·
Registered
745 Posts
People think I'm crazy because I use an iPod Classic. I have no need for an iPhone or iPod Touch so I can be completely oblivious to the world around me. I think all of those apps completely dictate people's lives and they become dependent on them.

As long as I have my music, I'll be happy :happy:

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Apple's products pretty much embody the following principle: when people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

The main benefit to them is that they've reached critical mass, so having one gives you the status of having what everyone else has.

My cheapie cell phone has as much capacity as the largest iPod and sounds just as good. I dislike phones in general, so iPhones hold no appeal. I just want something that makes calls, sends texts and can pull up google maps for the 1 time a year I need it. iPads are one of those things that I can't find any real use for. Too big to be truly portable, too small and gimped to replace my laptop.

Not specifically picking on Apple here, though. All tablets are useless for me, as are dedicated MP3 players and any phone that costs more than $100.
I agree. Ipads don't seem to be particularly useful. I do like the new touch screen computers that have been coming out lately though, although I hate all the finger print marks....... I do actually enjoy some of the apps and having skype which I use fairly often, but I don't need an apple device to have a fb app or a skype app.

·
Registered
915 Posts
not a fan... a/ there are better products b/ its expensive as hell c/ I dislike apple since childhood when it was in the stage of first macintosh computers, it all seemed bleh when compared to PC

Reactions: Arya

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
People think I'm crazy because I use an iPod Classic. I have no need for an iPhone or iPod Touch so I can be completely oblivious to the world around me. I think all of those apps completely dictate people's lives and they become dependent on them.

As long as I have my music, I'll be happy :happy:
Yeah, agreed. The stupid games are the worst. I don't understand why you'd want to spend your time catapulting little birds across a screen.

Reactions: that

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I am an iPhone user out of laziness (low maintenance) and some surprisingly good customer service from Apple. As such, it's likely I'll be a customer for a long time to come. I have no need for an iPad; that's where it's still too restrictive for me. I like the iPhone just fine.

·
Registered
750 Posts
not a fan... a/ there are better products b/ its expensive as hell c/ I dislike apple since childhood when it was in the stage of first macintosh computers, it all seemed bleh when compared to PC
Hehe, I was kinda the opposite. My first few computers as a kid were the old System 6 days (Mac IIci). I quite liked them. When I moved to DOS and later Windows I couldn't stand them. Around 2000 I became a Linux guy and can't stand the new OS X stuff. Company gave me a Macbook, I gave it back after a couple months of fighting with it.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I think Apple is a great company. They managed to convince everyone that they make the best phone.

Seriously though, fuck Apple. I never understood why Mac users are so condescending and bash PCs all the time. And now everyone has an iPhone. I'm guessing a large portion of iPhone users chose the phone because it came free with a data plan. What a trap to fall into! There are so many better phones...

I've never owned an iPhone, but I had an iPod touch once. And now I use the Samsung Galaxy S3 and I love it. It's got so many features that Apple lacks. I don't even know where to begin. If Apple is government, then my phone is democracy. It's like having a small computer in my pocket.

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
As an old fart (47 years old) I find myself having difficulty using most technology but Apple make their interface pretty simple. I own every generation of the Iphone and Ipad and Ipod I think they are worth the value godbless bill gates.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Hehe, I was kinda the opposite. My first few computers as a kid were the old System 6 days (Mac IIci). I quite liked them. When I moved to DOS and later Windows I couldn't stand them. Around 2000 I became a Linux guy and can't stand the new OS X stuff. Company gave me a Macbook, I gave it back after a couple months of fighting with it.
I am Windows guy because I do a lot of troubleshooting when my friends have some problem with the computer... I have fought against so many different errors and I quite like the fun it brings... Well not if I need the computer urgently... It is really digging the solution everywhere on the internet... I automatically skip windows forum, because their solutions are so "universal" and it solves shit...

Last problem I was fighting: Windows explorer.exe was eating 50% of my CPU constantly (I could see it while playing games, that just HW lagged thanks to the not enough CPU), so I googled googled googled.... And after like x different links I found a solution that made me facepalm... There was a shortcut with invisible icon on the desktop... And windows was trying to render the icon constantly.... Beginner´s mistake...

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I have personally never been a big fan of Apple devices. Ever since I was young, they seemed to be able to do less for a lot more money, while looking pretty and admittedly having less buggy weirdness with registries or what have you.

I will give credit where credit's due, though. I read Steve Job's biography and, although I disliked his personality (which I guessed to be INTJ due to similarity to my INTJ friend) and disagreed with his business ideals, he did create a certain brand of device that is innovative and unique, and he did so rather brilliantly. He believed in integrated hardware and software -- that is, software should be created to best fit the hardware so it works without a hitch, and hardware should be built around its accompanying software. This set Apple against other computing companies, such as Dell and Microsoft, which favored open software that could be leveraged on many platforms. The latter approach is one I greatly prefer, just because of the widespread utility and options it gives you, but I will grant that the integrated approach does better in some areas (such as compatibility issues, which are nonexistent with Apple's top-down "you must use iTunes, etc" mode of doing things).

The interesting thing to me is that in computing, it was Mac vs Windows, which embodied the integrated vs open software debate. Then, when Apple came out with the iPhone, it quickly became iOS vs Android, which is exactly the same opposition. With iPhone, everything is tied together, you don't have much choice in what hardware to grab, and Apple controls every part of the process. By contrast, any phone company could make an Android, and the software is open and easy to mess with. I use Windows and have an Android phone (an older one, because I don't care), but I also do have a fourth generation iPod Touch. This is largely because it was on sale, but also because I recognize that although I'd never want to use an Apple product as my main conduit for accessing the internet or doing work, an iPod is still really the best music player out there, and the App Store does have a lot of good apps that Google Play doesn't... well, that'd matter if I really used apps at all, which I don't, but still. I think it's nice to have a little taste of that other world, because I do appreciate the ideal, even if I don't really care to be a part of it as a whole.

About iTunes, though; I only use it to rip CDs and put the tracks onto my iPod. I would never purchase anything from its store. This is partly because I vastly prefer the CD medium and the album as an art form, but also because of the aforementioned problems with iTunes. I like being able to share music, and have it even if I lose my computer memory.

The INTJ friend I mentioned earlier is really into Apple stuff. He has a Mac, an iPod touch, and if he were to have a phone, it'd be an iPhone. He just loves the Apple experience, which I really don't understand. And the weirdest thing to me is that he never uses keyboard shortcuts or other neat tricks on computers that I completely rely on. I hardly ever touch the mouse when I'm browsing. Hell, Steve Jobs thought that you should only ever use a mouse (or touch screen) for browsing, not buttons or arrows. The keyboard is just for typing, right? Who needs function keys? I do. I need function keys. You have no idea, man. And the Mac's fragmentation with the CTRL and Command key... so much rage. Can't stand that.

I guess what Apple has over the competition is that its integrated approach means it innovates more in terms of how hardware and software link together (Apple perfected the GUI with windows and a mouse that we all know and love, as well as the conventional mp3 player, as well as the smartphone... etc), and also its simplicity. A child in Africa who has never seen a computer can pick up an iPad and play with it without a problem. I'm not a child in Africa who has never seen a computer, so that doesn't really appeal to me (neither does the iPad, it's just a giant iPod Touch, yeesh), but I can see why it does to some. Who, you know, can't remember some simple key combinations.

·
Registered
703 Posts
The latter approach is one I greatly prefer, just because of the widespread utility and options it gives you, but I will grant that the integrated approach does better in some areas (such as compatibility issues, which are nonexistent with Apple's top-down "you must use iTunes, etc" mode of doing things).
This. I hate the lack of freedom with Apple. And it takes so long to sync music/videos on Apple devices. The whole syncing system annoys me. The process is so much quicker on Android and you can actually manage your files on it like a desktop.

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
Not worth the money. Just because the product is "quality" doesn't mean you can charge like 50% more just for the sake of it.

Not a big fan of the company skewing statistics and using fake data during their presentations.

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
I am a heavy portable apple user.

I have a 3rd gen apple ipad 64gb, iphone 5 64gb, ipod nano 16gb (5th gen) all day every day.

My phone is an LG Galaxy Nexus; Samsung Galaxy Nexus before that.

My main workstation is a Dell XPS15z running Win 7 Pro.

My secondary station is a Mac Mini MD388LL/a.

I set up other Mac Mini's around the house as guest boxes running Mountain Lion with virtualbox running Win7 within. Reason being is let guest who aren't familiar with MacOS to do whatever they want in Windows including download malware, virii, and whatnot... then I'll replace the image if it breaks down or get infected.

I could run linux and do the same thing, but I like the mac mini design and specs.

My experience with Apple portable devices has been a positive note. As long as it is kept stock, it'll behave as designed.

What I don't like about Apple devices include the lack of physical buttons for troubleshooting purposes. For example, in case the power button or home button is damaged or stuck, there is no other way to do a DFU on the unit.

At least with an android device, there's more than one method / some alternative or commandline to put the device into recovery mode.

In addition, I do not like Apples' premium pricing structure. I have not paid full retail MSRP for any of my apple products. I wait around for Best Buy to have open box drops on apple stuff and make my purchases there. Depending on condition and price, I'll bite on it. Warranty on the items are intact since most of the time, people who bought and returned may not have activated or registered the device.

Lastly, Although Steve Jobs had future intentions for forcing users to stray away from obsolete interfaces and tech; i.e. floppy drive, iomega zip drive, optical drive, ps/2 keyboard/mouse, it keeps their design as simple as possible with real estate or reasoning for smaller form factor / more cool and miniature architecture.

Very few companies who attempt to copy design almost always fall short with sacrificing something to trade off to meet same design specs with Apple.

For example, Mac Mini's... sure there are other small form factor units, however, most of them are powered by i3 or i5's with USB 2.0 ports for lower cost. Considering the units are not upgradable in several aspects; i.e. cpu cannot be replaced, i/o ports cannot be upgraded, no room for expansion board, etc. Mac Mini's offer a better bang for the buck ONLY if the person needs such features. Otherwise, if to be used for an HTPC, a Mac Mini, of course, is overkill.

Sure a person can build their own desktop for more bang for the buck, but a Mac Mini is small form factor and easy to transport. Can't say the same for a custom build.

Pro's and con's... If you can afford to purchase the diversity of gadgets, go ahead! If you must stick with one, choose the better ecosystem for your needs.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The empirical argument goes like this:

So, as you can guess, I prefer to use HAL9000 over Apple or Microsoft.

Seriously though, I prefer Microsoft over Apple for multiple reasons, The main reason being that there isn't much support for Apple products where I live (South Africa). So basically there isn't much point to getting most Apple products when half of the features are unavailable. So even while iPads, Pods, Peas etc. are rare Apple Computers are relatively popular among the design industry here in South Africa (as I'm certain they are around the world).

·
Registered
598 Posts
If I wanted to overpay for mediocre hardware, a linux distro and a billet aluminium case I would consruct my own device, and use the money I saved on cocaine and sex lube.

Apple is overated and currently in a pretty awful direction since Job's departure.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
My girlfriend convinced me to get an iPhone over DroidX (those were the options a couple years ago), and I haven't regretted it since. That's mostly because I don't use the iPhone like some people do.

Because I do not enjoy learning something I don't use excessively, the iPhone is a great solution. The Android simply has a larger learning curve which I never cared to "get into."

My next phone probably won't be an apple though, as I do miss the flexibility of other phones sometimes, and they've simplified a lot of the other systems.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts