Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i started reading up on personality theory , zodiac signs came up too. Often when i meet new people they ask me what my 'sign' is. I decided to find out and apparently im an Aries. Of course alot of the decsripotion sounds like me but plenty doesn't. I know a few female Aries and we are absolutely nothing alike. Ive watched interviws of people with the same birthday as me and again no similarities. I wanna believe its bullshit but some descriptions for people seem so accurate. What do youguys think?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Personally, I think Astrology is a crock of shit. I don't care how well the descriptions fit people, it's completely illogical to pose the idea that our birthdays can somehow determine our personalities, along with the whole position of the planets and whatever the fuck. Astrology is no better than palm reading.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
Astrology is a joke.

Reactions: B00Bz

·
Banned
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha i love you people. So far we got its a crock of shit and a joke. Things be looking slim for astrology :shocked:

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
To me, they're a lot like fortune cookies. It's interesting to read about but what they say in the newspapers and magazines about what you should do as an Aries is advice you could give anyone with a functioning brain and would apply in any generic life setting. All its missing is the "Learn Chinese" word on the back of the paper.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I'm a Libra! Being a Libra means I was born in between September 22, to October 23, and this is based on a star constellation. And after that I lost interest,and I guess I find the whole astrology scene flaky.

Reactions: pastryparadise

·
Registered
276 Posts
Lol, this same thought occurred to me as well but still, MBTI/Socionics is a lot more logical than the bullshit that is Astrology.
Yeah you got a point, but think about it like this: just because something has evidence to back it up doesn't mean it justifies any of it's supplied points/information. (ie. the Trayvon Martin trial outcome. With all the outstanding evidence, Zimmerman still walks free)

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Ive watched interviws of people with the same birthday as me and again no similarities. I wanna believe its bullshit but some descriptions for people seem so accurate. What do youguys think?
When people learn about astrology, they only learn about their Sun sign and never look into their full natal chart, the placements of personal planets, the houses, etc. Those make a huge difference in professional astrological profiles. Astrology is much more complex than layman's knowledge of it holds. If a person is born on the same date as yourself, but on a different year and at a different time of the day, then their chart can be vastly different.

The placement of your personal planets (Moon, Venus, Mars, Mercury) is just as important as you Sun sign. The Moon sign if of special significance since it reflects the way a person thinks and feels on the inside, and thus is often easier to detect.

To look up your full astrological chart: Free Astrology Birth Chart Report

·
Registered
885 Posts
Yeah you got a point, but think about it like this: just because something has evidence to back it up doesn't mean it justifies any of it's supplied points/information. (ie. the Trayvon Martin trial outcome. With all the outstanding evidence, Zimmerman still walks free)
Oh look me trying to derail a thread. Seriously. No.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
When people learn about astrology, they only learn about their Sun sign and never look into their full natal chart, the placements of personal planets, the houses, etc. Those make a huge difference in professional astrological profiles. Astrology is much more complex than layman's knowledge of it holds. If a person is born on the same date as yourself, but on a different year and at a different time of the day, then their chart can be vastly different.

The placement of your personal planets (Moon, Venus, Mars, Mercury) is just as important as you Sun sign. The Moon sign if of special significance since it reflects the way a person thinks and feels on the inside, and thus is often easier to detect.

To look up your full astrological chart: Free Astrology Birth Chart Report
Yeah?

No.

Someone's done the full shebang for me years ago. It was bullshit. There is no way in hell that the placement of stars and planets had jack shit to do with anything.

Please introduce yourself to reality. MBTI is walking on thin ice. Astrology is a ship wreck in the Mariana Trench in the Pacific Ocean that got beaten with the dumbest thing in the world stick on the way down. If you think near 100% of the population hasn't heard about the 'full reading' I'm backing away slowly because whatever you've got could be contagious.

Please don't push the crazy agenda.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
Court cases aren't about evidence. They're about who can present the most convincing case. If people actually looked at the facts in life, my ability to interview well wouldn't have gotten me anywhere. I skipped right on past the university grads and got hired by a corporation at 22 without next to no relevant experience and only one year of post secondary. I got ahead anyway. Why? Because people are stupid and listen to whoever presents the most convincing case and not the facts in front of them. There is no logic behind astrology. Zero, zilch, nada, nought, naught, nil, zip, 0[SUB]2, [/SUB] 0[SUB]3, [/SUB]none, nix, nihil, nonexistent, nix, nothing,
zéro, pas du tout, null, kein, nadie, cero.

If people used the actual evidence in front of them, I couldn't talk my way out of trouble or have convinced them to buy garbage when I was broke back in the day. If people looked at evidence, astrology would be something we learned about in history books.

Reactions: HighClassSavage

·
Banned
285 Posts
I think it's something you should take with a grain of salt. I don't believe that the birthsigns describe people accurately at all. I'm not for or against it since i think that many people use it as a tool for guidence and for having a sense of direction in life.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Yeah?

No.

Please introduce yourself to reality. MBTI is walking on thin ice. Astrology is a ship wreck in the Mariana Trench in the Pacific Ocean that got beaten with the dumbest thing in the world stick on the way down. If you think near 100% of the population hasn't heard about the 'full reading' I'm backing away slowly because whatever you've got could be contagious.

Please don't push the crazy agenda.
Meanwhile the ESTP tag shines brightly above your user name. Are you aware that MBTI has just about as much empirical backing as astrology? Makes me chuckle every time I see someone reject one cooky theory while subscribing to another.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
Meanwhile the ESTP tag shines brightly above your user name. Are you aware that MBTI has just about as much empirical backing as astrology? Makes me chuckle every time I see someone reject one cooky theory while subscribing to another.
MBTI is at LEAST a theory. Astrology is a belief system.

astrology -- Encyclopedia Britannica

Science has absolutely concluded without a doubt that astrology has no basis in science. MBTI hasn't been proven or disproved. When/if science concludes that MBTI is quackery, I'll laugh at myself. But I'd have to be an idiot to believe something that the scientific community turned their back on a very long time ago.

Comparing MBTI and Astrology at the moment is comparing apples and oranges. Try again.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Honestly, you don't HAVE to believe in it, but that doesn't mean you have to write it off entirely, either. I think there are probably a LOT of people who feel the same way about typing systems (MBTI, Socionics, Enneagram, all of it). It's interesting and CAN give you something to think about. And if parts of it don't make sense, don't linger over those parts and use them to dismiss everything. Things aren't always that clear-cut as "awesome" or "terrible."

I'm a little surprised to see this much hate lol, because the only ESTP I know well is always talking about astrology and gives it a lot more credit than I ever will.

Reactions: AnneM
1 - 20 of 26 Posts