Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this thread is probably quite similar to others but I have several specific questions for the Sixes if that's alright. What if you are suffering from severe emotional pain?

1.) Do you focus more on your emotions or ignore them?

2.) Do you tend to trust more in confidants and people you care about or less?

3.) Do you withdraw from the world or go outward more?

4.) Would you say that you deal with your emotions in a way that is more constructive or self-destructive?

I understand these may not be mutually exclusive or exhaustive so please add or amend my questions. I am really interested in understanding.

·
Registered
307 Posts
1. It depends on the situation. Most of the time, I would ignore them until it comes unbearable or when I feel the need to look into why I'm feeling that way.

2. I trust my family (parents and siblings) and thats about it. I always become weary when someone comes up to me and askes me a favor because most of the time, they only do it when it benefits them.

3. I withdraw from the world. However, I do enjoy cruising around the city in the confines of my car when I need time to relax or get my mind off of things thats bothering me.

4. I would like to say constructive but I have my moments when I lost it working on my car, LOL. Its embarrassing, I wished I had time to rethink it over before I decided to do those things.

·
fire breathing dragon
2,810 Posts
I know this thread is probably quite similar to others but I have several specific questions for the Sixes if that's alright. What if you are suffering from severe emotional pain?

I focus on them in private. I ignore them around others.

Nah. I usually don't want to be bothered though. I want time to mull it over.

Withdraw. Most definitely. I think also has to do with having two 5 wings.

4.) Would you say that you deal with your emotions in a way that is more constructive or self-destructive?

Constructive. I like to get to the bottom of it. I like to go through layer by layer and figure out what Im feeling, why Im feeling it, and how to feel better. When Im interrupted before I can work through this, I can lash out at others.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
What if you are suffering from severe emotional pain?Going to go with what I do during breakups or what happened when I lost custody of my child for a bit.

1.) Do you focus more on your emotions or ignore them? I like to ignore them as much as I can. I make tons of jokes and try to provide entertainment for others. I hate being bulldozed by sadness. But sometimes the gravity is so huge, I feel like I don't want to get out of bed. The only time I allow myself to actually "feel" my emotions of what I'm going through is when I'm running. I have to be running to sift through my emotions. I feel safest that way.

2.) Do you tend to trust more in confidants and people you care about or less? No more, no less. There are maybe only 2 people I will share my actual pain with. But even when I do that then, I will have already taken it to an analytical level. I convey what I'm going through very objectively.

But I've also blogged before. And all the emotion is out once I blog. I also journal. And the same happens.

3.) Do you withdraw from the world or go outward more? I really withdraw from the world and have to work really hard to prevent myself from doing this. I know I will feel better if I get a run in with others, but I just don't feel like being around anyone.

I think I'm very constructive for the most part. I've run full on marathons and ultras while I was enduring the most emotional pain. I run a lot and it kicks up my endorphins.

I will also try to reorganize and make lists of my goals, then I come up with a plan to achieve all my goals. This is very helpful when I am in emotional pain. It gets my focus back.

I will also let my friends take me out, even when I don't want to go.

Less constructive, I will probably have a night where I drink and post a drunk status on Facebook or I will enter a relationship to take me out of my pain. Yeah. More dissociative behavior and escape.

But if I sense my pain is awful and I'm not managing very well, I will quickly put myself in some short term therapy to help me sift through my emotions. I've done this quite a few times and it helps. I don't become a burden to others and I'm effective in taking care of myself and my child.

In the past, I also used to help others in pain when I'm in pain. I do that less now as I've set more boundaries. I just don't have the time.

Also, I'm a singer and singing a big fat aria also helps. Going back into performing always helps my soul.

I don't like bad feelings or feeling depressed. My knee jerk reaction to deep, emotional pain has been to dissociate and rise above it. I just don't like it sitting in my body. But as I've gotten older, I recognize I do this and can ground myself much better. And I visit the pain in small doses so I can get through it pretty smoothly.

Reactions: perennialurker

·
Banned
13,780 Posts

I focus in private and ignore in public because in public I put on my tough face. In general I try to find a fix for the issue that is causing it.

Trust more, but I always think I know better then others about my issues. I mainly do this when I feel that I lack the proper amount of information and need to make a snap judgment for whatever reason.

Withdraw. I have a tendency to want to make the outside world conform to my inside world aka tendency to change my environment to suit my needs.

Both actually. It really depends. I certainly have problems with anger, fear and being in love. I tend to be reactive, so I get angry at injustice and idiotic things. It takes much energy and self control to reign in that anger and to focus it in a more constructive way. In this sense for me to use anger positively I first suffer a drain in mental resources in the attempt to harness it.

Fear is mostly met by going towards it and doing what scares me, however I do suffer from anxiety even so and I do tend to procrastinate because of it as well (avoiding doing something because it is too scary. In my case mostly social stuff).

Both have negative physical effects on my body. I tend to get physically sick when I have too much of either or both.

Being in love is highly destructive in my case. I neglect everything else and my life falls to pieces. For this reason I decided last year (after the last breakup) that I'm going solo until I get a firm grip on my life and am stable/secure once more.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
What if you are suffering from severe emotional pain?
It's a..bad experience.

Focus. I would like to know first which emotion is giving me mental pain, and then deal with it.

I trust in knowledge. Not sure about people's 'knowledge'.

I withdraw from the world. My need for staying alone immensely increases.

It's constructive, though I can turn sensitive sometimes, but I'm not at all self-destructive, rather I can devastate others when I'm really angry.

Reactions: perennialurker

·
Registered
624 Posts
I ignore it and try not to think about it. The feelings usually come back with vengeance which I then have to deal with on my own. Then it's a cage fight with myself until I feel like it's squared away.

This depends on what I'm feeling. Talking about what bringing my anxiety is easier to tell people who aren't that close. When I tell people I care about how I'm feeling I usually get the feeling of being a bother... I have no idea why I get this feeling.

I withdraw even more. I'm strongly introverted, and becoming even more withdrawn from the world... It claws away at my sense of being connected to the world.

Feeling like you're the observer and not one with the world, and then it feels like reality is fading. Getting into some kind of "trance", where my sense of time gets skewed

I try to get to the bottom of the problem but it's hard to find out what ails me... When I do, I try to fix them myself... Which doesn't seem to work all that well if I'm going to be honest.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts