Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
What I like most about songs are the lyrics. That is the first thing I pay attention to. I hate when songs make a rhyme for the sake of rhyme, but most every song is guilty of this :S.

My favorite genre is Indie rock.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I look for a package. Bad lyrics, bad writing, or poor musicianship can ruin any song for me. I like (almost) all genres of music, but most of all I am a sucker for a story and deep feeling--when the heart and soul of the musician/singer is in the song.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Agreed with most of the above as well. I prefer music with some kind of meaning - something that the musician is passionate about. However, I can't always hear what all of the lyrics are until I look them up, and I'm going to admit that I do listen to music that just sounds nice as well.

I also prefer music with some kind of tune, as ShadowPlay said - something with at least a bit of structure. Music that can be broken into chords and played to sound nice on the piano - that's what some genres lack.

I especially enjoy music that's been skillfully created - where every bit of the song is carefully thought out and/or took a great deal of creativity or intelligence to create.

Genres? Used to prefer metal and metalcore only, but now I'm more into softer music, although still rock as a main preference.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I'm a huge metal fan, so usually I look for a song to hit me like an energy drink.

ex:

YouTube - MESHUGGAH - Bleed

One can not live on metal alone, though so I occasionally listen to whatever's on the "hip" radio stations in my area. I like some techno as well (Prodigy).

·
Registered
47 Posts
I enjoy most genres of music. A good beat attracts me to a song. Lyrics I have to look up most times.
Especially metal, which I enjoy. I've been listening to a lot of 80's musicians....Maiden, Van Halen and a lot of Phil Collins, solo, and with Genesis.
Of current musicians....Creed, Nickelback, Train and Maroon 5.

Reactions: Rhee and Sela

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm another rocker, and like many others, I look for meaning in lyrics. I need music I can relate to, music that will move me, that will make me smile, make my cry - just get some sort of emotion from me!! I can't abide manufactured bullshit...X Factor is hell on earth!

A few of my favourite bands include 30 seconds to Mars, the Stereophonics and Kings of Leon.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Does everyone else here have no problem remember the lyrics of the songs they listen too? If I listen to a song maybe two or three times, I know all the words by heart (so to speak), even if I don't like the song.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
^^Generally I can remember lyrics pretty well--better than most of my friends.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
ISTJs: What do you look for when you listen to a song? and what's your favorite genre(s)?
Melody is pretty much everything to me. I listen for the guitar solos and riffs, since I play the instrument. Next I listen for the bass lines and the drums.

Personally I couldn't care less about the lyrics. I don't find the singing voice very attractive in general, so I listen to a lot of guitar instrumental stuff: Buckethead and Joe Satriani at the moment.

Favourite genre's 80's metal and synth-pop.
On my current playlist: A Flock of Seagulls, Camel, Duran Duran, Guns N Roses, In Flames, Journey, Judas Priest, Queensryche, Santana, Steve Vai and oddly enough, The Last of the Mohicans OST.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Really? Which Queensryche album?
The Warning, Rage for Order, Empire and Operation Mindcrime.

RFO has a kickass atmosphere. The most dramatic album I've ever heard.

TW's my all-time favourite (we were both 'born' in the same year, too! *g*). Some mind-blowing songs in there - experimental, really ahead of the times, extremely well-written and well-played.

Geoff Tate losing his best voice is one of the saddest things that happened in music, IMO.

Reactions: Sela and niss

·
Banned
5 Posts
i dont care what a song itself is like- i only care that it makes me feel good! my fav genres: classic rock, early punk and vintage jazz. fav. song: since ive been loving you (led zeppelin).<--- this song is so awesome, anyone who likes guitar jams should try it out! big music lover, so i enjoyed reading all of your posts.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts